Boone - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Boone

Hello to anyone who sees this. I'm a newby here. One of the many things that attracted me to purchase an Escape is how happy the owners in this forum are! Everyone just seems to have such a positive attitude about these campers.
I have a question about the insulation options. I plan to get double insulation in the walls and floor insulation as well. However, I am unsure about the thermal windows (double pane). Are they worthwhile? Does condensation still form on their aluminum framing? Do the thermal windows help reduce noise from the outside?
Thank you to anyone willing to share knowledge and experience on these questions.
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hi and welcome,

Yes, the windows reduce condensation. That's visible on models like the 19 that have a front window cover. Because of the cover the front window is single glazed. You can see the difference in the amount of condensation between the two types.

Yes, the double glazed windows do seem to cut down on noise.

Yes, under some conditions, condensation can still form on the frames because I don't think they are thermally broken.
Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Welcome, Boone! I have the extra insulation and double pane windows. Some people seem to have a problem with condensation but I never have had a problem as long as I keep the Maxx fan and the windows by my bed cracked at night, winter as well as summer; sometimes I need to run the fan, sometimes not. Of course as a solo traveler, there is only half the amount of body moisture being expelled as with a couple.

Some people say there is a reduction in noise level, but I haven't noticed it. Didn't get the insulation or double windows for that reason anyway.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Hi Boone. I can't speak from experience as we don't get our new trailer until 4 weeks from now. We did order the wall and floor insulation, and the thermal windows as almost everybody on this forum recommends having them. One thing we also got is the heat pads on the tanks and there are mixed feelings as to that. However I will be using the trailer in Northeast Iowa through October and you can get a pretty good cold snap up there. It really depends on your future plans as how you intend to use your trailer and in this case, one size does not fit all. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
At a thousand bucks I first thought getting the extra wall insulation was a colossal rip-off.... until I learned that package included the thermal paned windows.

All you have to do is ask Hehr for a price on one of them windows and you'll understand what a bargain deal it is.*
I passed, however, on the floor insulation.

*Don't think twice, it's all right.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I will go with full insulation package in my next trailer. Sock feet tell the story of seasonal thermal changes outside that are felt inside with the plain floor
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We did go for the thermal package as the dual pane and extra reflectix will work well for us. Didn't go for the heating pads or the foam. Our soon to be hatched trailer to be named "Seventy Degrees" pretty much sums up where we'll be hanging out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have the extra insulation, thermal windows and spray foam on the underside. Didn't get the heat strips in the A/C. Very happy with the trailer. Nice and quiet inside, not much for condensation, floor is nice and warm on cold days, and the shell seems to hold the heat from the furnace quite well on cold nights (furnace doesn't cycle as often). Also, the A/C does not need to work as hard to keep the trailer cool in hot weather.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I got the thermal windows, extra inside insulation, foam (no tank heat pads), and I have camped 3 seasons and have had zero condensation. But I am also a single camper with a 20b dog.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Boone

We have the extra insulation, double paned windows, and spray on foam in or Escape 21. We always have wet wall covering behind our mattress and dinette cushions and window condensation when we camp in cold, damp weather. We have the Max fan open and the bathroom window, but not the other windows, because they either slide and might allow the rain to get in, or the emergency exit window opens too wide. We don't have our Max fan on because we normally camp without power. I wish the kitchen window opened outward. It would help. So we pull the cushions away from the wall to minimize condensation and wipe the water away from behind our mattress in the morning. I would be interested in hearing from other cold/wet climate boon dockers on this.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We don't have our Max fan on because we normally camp without power.
In summer and shoulder seasons, I camp with no power but turn the Maxx fan on and have never had a problem. But then I have solar so that might make a difference.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We have the extra insulation, double paned windows, and spray on foam in or Escape 21. We always have wet wall covering behind our mattress and dinette cushions and window condensation when we camp in cold, damp weather. We have the Max fan open and the bathroom window, but not the other windows, because they either slide and might allow the rain to get in, or the emergency exit window opens too wide. We don't have our Max fan on because we normally camp without power. I wish the kitchen window opened outward. It would help. So we pull the cushions away from the wall to minimize condensation and wipe the water away from behind our mattress in the morning. I would be interested in hearing from other cold/wet climate boon dockers on this.
Bob K
When we were coming home with new trailer found the same problem with condensation . Discovered to have Max fan running on low and opening kitchen window did the trick . Solved the condensation problem . Weather was cold and rain all the way home in Nov . We have foam and extra insulation , dual pane windows . We camp this way now all the time and never a problem . Running the max fan I think is very important . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
condensation in the winter

When we go camping in cooler temps (lows ranging for 40 f to 15 f) we sometimes get condensation. If we pull the dinette cushions away from the wall, it solves the problem. We get a bit of condensation between the mattress and the wall. We got some hypervent this summer, and we will see if that helps.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I think the reason we have so much condensation is that we try not to run our furnace or Mexican (Maxi-fan corrected by the spell checker) to conserve battery power. We will have to try using the Maxi-fan overnight and see how much it drains our battery vs the furnace. We rely on the generator to recharge the battery rather than solar panels and use it every few days anyhow to charge the boat's electric motor battery. I didn't think a solar panel would help us much in the shade and cloudy conditions where we park our trailer, but then I may have been wrong.

We only have this problem when it's cold and wet, but it is a common condition in our PNW mountains in spring and fall.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I didn't think a solar panel would help us much in the shade and cloudy conditions where we park our trailer, but then I may have been wrong.

We only have this problem when it's cold and wet, but it is a common condition in our PNW mountains in spring and fall.

Bob K
You might be surprised, especially if your panel is portable. It's not an entirely all or nothing situation. While output does fall noticeably in less than ideal situations there is usually still some output.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
We got the 80 watt plug and go portable solar kit from gopower (PSK80) and used it for the first time up in northern Vancouver Island where the weather conditions were cloudy, overcast, raining and sunny, depending on the hour We boondocked with our 17B for 12 days and could not be happier with the performance. As it was our first time using it (and we had a backup battery charger if needed), we put it to the test using LED lights, water pump, furnace, Maxx fan, and hot water heater, without limiting ourself. We also used our DC outlet in the trailer to charge cellphones and laptop. We only hit "fair" charge one day, otherwise it was fully charged and "good" all other times. Very reliable and best of all, less than 20lbs and we could move it around easily to maximize light/sun exposure.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
We got the 80 watt plug and go portable solar kit from gopower (PSK80) and used it for the first time up in northern Vancouver Island where the weather conditions were cloudy, overcast, raining and sunny, depending on the hour We boondocked with our 17B for 12 days and could not be happier with the performance. As it was our first time using it (and we had a backup battery charger if needed), we put it to the test using LED lights, water pump, furnace, Maxx fan, and hot water heater, without limiting ourself. We also used our DC outlet in the trailer to charge cellphones and laptop. We only hit "fair" charge one day, otherwise it was fully charged and "good" all other times. Very reliable and best of all, less than 20lbs and we could move it around easily to maximize light/sun exposure.
Hi was wondering what battery or batteries you have ? We have the same portable and love that it is to carry . Pat
Old 08-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
We have the one 12V. It's on the back bumper (we have a 2007) so super easy to connect the solar power clamps onto.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
We have the one 12V. It's on the back bumper (we have a 2007) so super easy to connect the solar power clamps onto.
Thanks Lorrie .we need to get another 80 watt or put panel on roof and use both . We have the 2 6 volts batteries and it isn't enough . Found our little 1000 watt Honda charges much better with our setup . From Go power got the plug that goes into trailer plug so I don't have to open box and connect . Thanks for responding . Pat
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
got the plug that goes into trailer plug so I don't have to open box and connect .
I was going to explore that, but then the power would have to go from the panel, to the plug at the front of the trailer and all the way to the back bumper, where the battery is. My understanding is I would lose juice along the way.

Tags
condensation, double pane, insulation, reduce noise, thermal windows