Border crossing issues? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
license plates, some states have front and rear, others only have rear.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We have front and rear tags but only rear tabs
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
One oddity on our August trip to Alaska: when we crossed back into the US at the lower 48, they ran our entire rig through a HUGE X-ray apparatus (they were running ALL RVs through the machine). I wonder if something was up, as the machinery looked temporary/portable. No big deal. Really all of our crossings on this trip were simple and quick.

We do choose to NOT cross near major cities. We crossed into US north of Omak, WA. We crossed into Canada at Portal, ND. I've experienced long lines closer to major cities like Sumas, WA and Windsor, ON.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our crossing on Sun Sept 30 into Canada. Questions: do you have any guns with you? When was the last time you were in Canada? Where did you go then? What is the purpose of this visit? There was no line, 3 booths open.

On the return to the US. Questions: what was the purpose of your visit? What kind of trailer did you buy? Are you Last Names? Oh, your trailer just went through.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Gotcha. I have never heard plates called tags. Must be a regional thing. Though, in all my border crossings I have never been asked for vehicle license or registration.

edit: I was asked once years ago with our tent trailer where we were pulled to the side for a complete inspection. All went well, except we were reprimanded for not having our young kids birth certificates on us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
One oddity on our August trip to Alaska: when we crossed back into the US at the lower 48, they ran our entire rig through a HUGE X-ray apparatus (they were running ALL RVs through the machine). I wonder if something was up, as the machinery looked temporary/portable. No big deal. Really all of our crossings on this trip were simple and quick.

We do choose to NOT cross near major cities. We crossed into US north of Omak, WA. We crossed into Canada at Portal, ND. I've experienced long lines closer to major cities like Sumas, WA and Windsor, ON.
We got X rayed by US customs while entering the US at Warroad Mn
They X rayed both the vehicle and the boat .
That was 3 years ago and we have not been X rayed again at that crossing
We were told that the X Ray was experimental
Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #27

Found this neat site...passports for your pets
https://www.tagsforhope.com/pet-passport/
Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
There have been recent news articles floating around that warn Canadians travelling to the US that US border security has access to credit card transaction information, and if they determine that you have made a purchase of cannabis (which is soon legal in Canada), you may be permanently denied entry into the US. https://globalnews.ca/news/4140898/l...ned-us-border/

Additionally, those working in the legal cannibis industry could also be permanently denied entry into the US.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not following this at all. Tags?
I think us Canucks use the term: liscence plate(s) Our American friends call them tags
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I think us Canucks use the term: liscence plate(s) Our American friends call them tags
Yeah, they are weird, aren't they? [emoji41]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though, in all my border crossings I have never been asked for vehicle license or registration.
They don't need your paperwork. They read your plate (normally the rear one, by camera) and look it up. Jim, apparently yours has always come back as okay.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I've heard them called tags, but not by anyone around here. Must be a regional thing. I have Canadian roots so maybe that's it.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've heard them called tags, but not by anyone around here. Must be a regional thing. I have Canadian roots so maybe that's it.
License plates are frequently called tags in the South: "What's your tag number?" Florida only has a rear plate for autos, btw. I need to get a plate frame for my trailer that says "Florida Man".
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Also GA, AL, TN, all have one "tag" on rear only. That's why I believe both US and Cdn. customs are set up to photo the rear plate unless blocked by trailer. I asked when crossing into ND this trip if he wanted my plate number before he asked his questions. He did. He was a younger fellow and asked when we'd last been in the US. First time ever for that question. Of course I couldn't remember the last date exactly but said sometime in the last few weeks, that was OK with him.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #35

AB too only uses a rear plate.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Your state of origin has a lot to do with the questions. Texas plates, they ask about guns. They ask if guns were in the vehicle, I said no. They asked when the last time I had a gun in the vehicle was, I said about an h
our ago. They asked what I did with the gun[s] and I showed them the paperwork where I stored them on the US side. All was good and the whole stop was less than 5 minutes. Be friendly, answer honestly and you will likely not have issues. Remember, their country, their rules.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #37

Actually I think it has more to do with obtaining a concealed weapon carry permit and having your record uploaded to the national crime computer where any legal authority can obtain access to your gun permit. It would not surprise me that when the police pull you over they know you have permit and maybe carrying. Customs always asks me why I have a permit.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Your state of origin has a lot to do with the questions. Texas plates, they ask about guns...
Quote:
Actually I think it has more to do with obtaining a concealed weapon carry permit and having your record uploaded to the national crime computer where any legal authority can obtain access to your gun permit. It would not surprise me that when the police pull you over they know you have permit and maybe carrying. Customs always asks me why I have a permit.
Certainly having a concealed weapon carry permit would lead to questions if they know about it, but there are lots of people without those permits who arrive at borders with firearms (not related to concealed carry), and the state they are from probably does change the probability that they own firearms.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #39

We have 2 vehicles , one with Minnesota plates , and One with Wisconsin plates
When we go to Canada we are always questioned about alcohol but when driving the vehicle with Wisconsin plates the questioning is much more intense plus the last 4 times they made us produce the alcohol for examination . I wonder if they’re using profiling at the border for more things than just firearms ?
This same Scenario happened whether we entered Ontario , Manitoba , Saskatchewan, or Alberta , Canada
Old 10-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #40

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
There have been recent news articles floating around that warn Canadians travelling to the US that US border security has access to credit card transaction information, and if they determine that you have made a purchase of cannabis (which is soon legal in Canada), you may be permanently denied entry into the US. https://globalnews.ca/news/4140898/l...ned-us-border/

Additionally, those working in the legal cannibis industry could also be permanently denied entry into the US.
Yes, and there is talk that if we invest in cannabis stocks we may be denied entry into the states. I have to remember to delete my stock quotes from the cell phone when I go south, as the border guards can inspect the phone and wonder what my interest is. Better to be safe than sorry.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote