Border crossing issues? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Border crossing issues?

We take delivery of our new 17B later this month. That means driving the SUV loaded with trailer stuff into Canada for orientation at Escape and then back into the US as we follow the new 17B into WA state. Has anyone had issues with a carload or truckload of stuff at the border crossing? We've heard of border agents going thru peoples' stuff and want to avoid that scenario. Thanks for any info.
JereBarbNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
border crossing, loaded (suv)

We have done that twice, two grey hairs and a small dog, they weren't concerned. We were at the crossing where they see the Escapes every day being picked up and delivered.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JereBarbNH View Post
...We've heard of border agents going thru peoples' stuff and want to avoid that scenario...
If border agents want to go through your stuff, there is nothing you can do about it except don't bring it with you. If you are concerned (maybe you carry items that cannot legally be brought across the border), leave your stuff on the US side and pick it up when you return to the US.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
We went to pick up our trailer and have two big tubs of camping+trailer stuff and beddings in several vacuum sealed bags (to save space), we told them what's in the tubs and the bags and they are only interested to know if any of them will stay in Canada (to which there is none).

We didn't have any food items.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
border crossing

Once (2010) we did stay at a motel close, unload the stuff, cross the border in the morning, get the trailer and return to the motel to transfer everything. It was a lot nicer to stay at the Best Western and then the RV park to move into the trailer.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Once (2010) we did stay at a motel close, unload the stuff, cross the border in the morning, get the trailer and return to the motel to transfer everything. It was a lot nicer to stay at the Best Western and then the RV park to move into the trailer.
Jack
That is what we did in 2016 and plan on repeating in 2019 and then heading to Osoyoos.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 (2017)
No problem....Except for insanely high roaming charge from Verizon!
drmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i crossed many times with lots of stuff they are concerned with food and guns pepper spray and large amounts of cash etc... they didn't care about my camping stuff because it goes back across the board with me.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can cross with a million dollars in cash as long as you declare that you have it. There is no penalty, unless you don't declare it, and then you will have less of it.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i crossed many times with lots of stuff they are concerned with food and guns pepper spray and large amounts of cash etc... they didn't care about my camping stuff because it goes back across the board with me.
This is true.....Answer their questions honestly. They will ask you where you are going. You tell them Escape Trailer in Chilliwack. They will smile. You will smile. And they will send you on your way.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Exactly Steve that was the first question we were asked answered n we told to have a nice trip and enjoy our new traile n waved us on
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #12

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
This is true.....Answer their questions honestly. They will ask you where you are going. You tell them Escape Trailer in Chilliwack. They will smile. You will smile. And they will send you on your way.
If you live in certain states they might be a little more probing wit the weapon questions. I liked the look though when he asked if I owned any weapons and I said yes. He seemed more intent. Then he asked if I had them with me to which I replied no. Then he said where are they and I replied about 3500 miles from here.

Only place I have ever had an issue was returning from Mexico one time. When we arrived at the airport they did not have our rental available. So they offered to upgrade us for free. A Suburban was available so we said ok. Bad mistake. When we decided a couple days later to make a day trip from El Paso into Mexico we received an enhanced inspection when we returned. About the only thing they did not do was slit the cushions. After they were done I asked was this common and he said no. So I asked why us. He said because of drugs, they flag certain types of vehicles. I said do we look like drugs mules. And he said actually yes we do. He said you would be surprised how many older folk they catch hauling contraband and drugs.
So we learned, do not take big SUV's into Mexico.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmemory View Post
No problem....Except for insanely high roaming charge from Verizon!

Yup. While we waited in the border line (2 cars long) we remembered to turn the phone off.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
At the Sumas crossing, the guards asked where we were going, and while we responded "We're going to Chilliwack to finalize our trailer purchase", they looked through the driver's side open window at the pile of stuff in the back, said "go enjoy your new Escape" and laughingly waved us through.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
We told them same things but decided to shake the truck down while we waited inside. The only thing they found some candy in a plastic bag in the glove box that had been in there fore along time. They had to check it for dope and scolded us for having it in an unmarked bag. But all our other crossings have gone smoothly and uneventful.
Just answer their questions and they will do their job. Either way, it’s not that big of deal
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The Canadians really are uptight about guns. When asked about guns and I said that I didn’t own any, he laughingly asked what kind of an American was I . Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #17

Trailer: August 2017 17b
I guess I'm only adding my experience after receiving my Escape in Sumas, BECAUSE it wasn't at all what I'd expected, and was made worse, by having come to expect it to be a courteous and simple exchange. I've lost count of how many times I've gone up to Canada, and had so consistently been impressed by amicable professionalism to overtly warm welcome.

Did the usual trip to ETI, had my orientation, trekked back across the border to reconnect with my Escape, then headed back across to border to enjoy revisiting parts of The Kettle Valley Trail, and learn more about my trailer. The Canadian Customs Agent/Border Crossing person was impressively HOSTILE in tone, as he questioned how and where I came into possession of my Escape. I answered his questions, and all the variations of the same questions, as simply and calmly as I am accustomed to answering questions at the border, yet was released with evident resentment of some sort. It was outright weird.

Hopefully mine was the one in a thousand, and that means 800 or so to go, before some one else is subjected to the same.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JereBarbNH View Post
We take delivery of our new 17B later this month. That means driving the SUV loaded with trailer stuff into Canada for orientation at Escape and then back into the US as we follow the new 17B into WA state. Has anyone had issues with a carload or truckload of stuff at the border crossing? We've heard of border agents going thru peoples' stuff and want to avoid that scenario. Thanks for any info.
Before entering border crossing booth....hair combed, stereo off, sunglasses off, hat off, passports ready, SMILE and SAY HELLO! Declare what you have and where you are going, don't bring anything illegal. We go back and forth to Ontario 3-4 times / year at least and never a problem but the wait in line....remember it is NOT the border agent's fault.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and for those single tag owners, give them your rear tag info so that they do not have to go out and inspect since the trailer blocks the camera. Since doing this I have had smooth sailing....
Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and for those single tag owners, give them your rear tag info so that they do not have to go out and inspect since the trailer blocks the camera. Since doing this I have had smooth sailing....
I am not following this at all. Tags?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote