Brand new escape owner! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Brand new escape owner!

Hi everyone, I have posted a few times on the forum now, but today I can officially say I belong as I brought home our new to us, 2009 escape 19 today. Due to a quick turn around, I brought it home without break controller, sway control or weight distribution. It took it slow to be safe, but found it towed very smooth with no signs of sway on the 600km drive home

For those of you towing with Tacoma’s, do you bother with weight distribution/ sway control? I was planning to buy one right away, but it towed so smooth on the drive home I am wondering if it is required.

Just for interest. The Tacoma got 11.75l/100km on the drive to pick up the trailer, and 17.5l/100km towing the escape home.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
913D58C6-1B92-4C70-BDEF-B579AA8BD023.jpg  
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pretty set up Doug, now you can change your avatar to show ownership....
Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Congratulations!

Those custom shields and front box look interesting. Can you tell us more about those. Maybe some more pics?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Congratulations!

Those custom shields and front box look interesting. Can you tell us more about those. Maybe some more pics?

The previous owner had it custom build when he bought the trailer new, as escape did not offer the storage box at the time. Unfortunately it is a little big for the space, it is right tight against the propane cover and is about 1/8" from the trailer. As a result it has rubbed through the gel coat is a couple spots, so modification to the box and some gel coat repair is in my future. The rock guards out the side are made of one sheet of checker plate welded to the back of the box. They are not supported in any other way, so they flutter quite a bit at hwy speed. they don't appear to have ever contacted the trailer, but I may add a gusset to stiffen them up a bit. I will take some pictures when I get a chance
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Looking good! We opted for a weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control (Fastway E2) as the manual for our 2016 Tacoma suggested we needed sway control. I would recommend checking your manual to make sure you are complying with the manufacturers recommendations in case of an accident. It was only $600 for peace of mind!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Congratulations!

Here are a few photos of the box, and the damage it has caused to the gel coat
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We tow a 19’ with a Tacoma �� 2016 TRD 6spd 4wd manual & have towed with WDH & without. Could not get the combo to sway in either configuration, the truck has a pretty good anti sway braking built in to it.
The biggest advantage of the WDH was for the weight it redistributed back to the front axle, with our 19’ Escape the rear axle of the Taco was nearly at it’s rated capacity & the front axle was way light. I confirmed this with truck stop scales, after installing & making some adjustments quite a bit of weight was transferred to the front. Mainly steering felt better & of course vehicle leveled with tow. I also have Sumo Springs installed on the rear. If you go with the E2 Fastway hitch get the sway bracket jacket noise reduction clips. Those things cut out the terrible grinding friction noise from the bars metal on metal surface. Have fun with you new trailer !
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Brand new escape owner!

When we had out 2009 19’ we towed it with a 2007 Tacoma TRD Double cab while it towed it just fine adding the WDH made a huge difference as the truck and trailer acted as one unit, far less porpoising.
We also added a storage box to our, well to be fair Reace did and he had to move and turn the propane tanks but it was still tight. Must admit the Tacoma and 19 are a sharp looking unit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0136.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	39949
I know you’ll have fun camping as you live in a lovely area with some great campsites, wish I could have spent more time camping there myself instead of working, always liked the cinnamon bread from Paul’s Bakery, it was the best.
Signed ex Prince George’er (Doug P.)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 17B 2019
Hi Doug. Congratulations on your new escape! We're currently in your beautiful town at the Riverside park again tonight. You're going to have so much fun with the trailer around here with all the great camping. Can't give you any advice on the truck but come say hi to us in the 17b today if you get a chance.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
Hi For those of you towing with Tacoma’s, do you bother with weight distribution/ sway control? I was planning to buy one right away, but it towed so smooth on the drive home I am wondering if it is required.

I sure hope you have decided to get weight distribution and sway control. Though we have trailered for many years (we just got the Escape 19 last fall) -- I will never forget the 2 different times we had unusual situations on the prior trailers. We had sway control and weight - but not good enough -- and the fear makes the few hundred dollars seem like nothing. Plus our unit is like one (this time we bought the upgraded system from Escape and it is great).
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Hi Doug. Congratulations on your new escape! We're currently in your beautiful town at the Riverside park again tonight. You're going to have so much fun with the trailer around here with all the great camping. Can't give you any advice on the truck but come say hi to us in the 17b today if you get a chance.

Well, this is convenient timing! My mother is here visiting and I am trying to convince her to buy a 17! If you are around we will come down and say hi in a few minutes
Old 06-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 17B 2019
Hi Doug, sorry we missed you in Smithers. E we enjoying the excellent golf course. We don't see as many Escape's in Northern BC as in the US!!!
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Towing a 21 with a Tacoma

Towed a 19 Escape trailer for 8 years and over 50,000 miles...mountains, windswept deserts, windy coastal highways...no sway bars or WDH but did have Firestone airbags...no towing incidents. Towed my new Escape 21 with the same 2009 Tacoma for 9000 miles and only difference was it had to work a bit harder on steep mountains passes.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape19 2016
Yes definitely get the weight distribution and sway control! And if you polish the trailer (a boat shop will lead you to the right products) then bugs and dirt will easily wash off the trailer after towing.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkledavid@gmail.com View Post
Towed a 19 Escape trailer for 8 years and over 50,000 miles...mountains, windswept deserts, windy coastal highways...no sway bars or WDH but did have Firestone airbags...no towing incidents. Towed my new Escape 21 with the same 2009 Tacoma for 9000 miles and only difference was it had to work a bit harder on steep mountains passes.
My father smoked cigarettes, cigars, and pipes all his life and never died of cancer.

Perry
Old 07-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Go for the WDH and sway control

We towed our 2019 E 19 with a 2016 Tacoma and the WHD and antisway made all the difference.

It put more weight to the front tires for better handling. To quote Gasguy, "The biggest advantage of the WDH was for the weight it redistributed back to the front axle, with our 19’ Escape the rear axle of the Taco was nearly at it’s rated capacity & the front axle was way light."

In addition, we had to make quick moves to avoid idiots on the road and the improved handling probably saved our lives.

DavidGlen
Pittsburgh
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
David,
Your avatar says 2010 E19 but you stated 2019 E19? Which is correct?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Ah, fat finger syndrome on my phone. 2010.
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Congratulations Doug. You've got a nice looking camper. We tow our 2nd gen 19 Escape with a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road automatic. We had ETI add the Fastway E2 WDH, and I'm glad we did. The Tacoma tows fine on the flat. For long uphill stretches, like in the Rockies, we just take it slow. Same for going down hill, nice and slow. We recently added Sumo Springs but haven't towed with them on yet. Others who have them like them. We'll see. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Our prior setup was a “Classic” 2013, 19’ towed with a 2016 TRD Sport Tacoma. Excellent combo but like others, I recommend the Fastaway E2 WDH. Made the whole rig more stable and leveled the truck.

You will notice the difference when towing with cross winds coming from the driver’s side on a two lane hiway and an on-coming simi-truck blocks the wind for a moment. That’s my default test for stability.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 19, tacoma