Calling All Experienced 17B Owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Calling All Experienced 17B Owners

If you've traveled quite a bit in your 17B, I'd appreciate your thoughts specifically. Many wonderful (truly thoughtful!) people who have larger Escapes have offered valuable support and help, and I've filled out most of my build sheet based on their advice, but I'm thinking that those who have been living within the smaller quarters of a 17B will have a different perspective on the life I'll soon be leading. My build sheet is due Tuesday.

There don't seem to be many 17B owners here on the forum, as many former 17B owners have transitioned to larger models - and I can certainly understand why. If money were no object, I might have opted for a much more comfortable lifestyle and chosen the 21' model, which is much like a tiny house on wheels. As it is, though I will certainly enjoy camping luxuries that some of you will likely find frivolous, the basic 17' is the basic 17', with all its attractions and its foibles, most related to smaller size. I considered all options, but for me, the 17B was the only choice that made sense, and I'm looking forward to the adventure ahead.

This is my first RV, and my own experience to date with camping is limited to much younger days in tents where we were lucky to find cold showers - which doesn't help much when it comes to decisions having to do with reinforcement of walls, weight distribution, and arranging clothes and household items around the batteries, pipes, etc. I would therefore appreciate any advice you might offer regarding your own experiences with the 17B and whatever options you chose - or would now consider if you were buying new.

So you understand where I'm headed … I'm seeking to:

-live in my 17B pretty much full time and mostly solo for most of the year
-boondock as often as possible as soon as I feel secure enough to do so
-use the A/C as needed charge my laptop, Mp3 player, and Kindle - but no TV or sound system
-purchase a smaller toaster oven to bake from time, as I have celiac disease and cannot eat even small amounts of gluten; no microwave
-purchase a suitcase solar panel to supplement Escape's rooftop panel
-order the appropriate inverter/batteries, etc.

I'll be turning the back (4-person dinette) into a U-shaped living room area with no post or table; will either use a tray, tray table, or on of Escape's extension tables at mealtime. I'll be turning the 2-person dinette into a permanent bed with storage beneath.

Any advice you have about placement of table extensions, the reinforcing of walls (which ones?), below bed/table storage and exterior accessibility (where needed?), single mattresses, weight distribution, interior and/or exterior lighting - all advice will be noted and most appreciated. 🌻🌻🌻

Thanks in advance!
Ava
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wait, your last thread said this was your last question..........
Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Be nice. She was referring to the build sheet in the last question.

Ava deserves all the help we can give - first time buyer of a fiberglass trailer and plans to full time in it. Has to be fairly intimidating!

Ava, you might want to look at the Escapees forum as well as this one.
http://www.rvnetwork.com/
Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know that, it is a slow day here.....need to stir something up....
Old 07-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We started with a 17B and had 100+ nights in it during an eight month period. I remember another Forum member who converted the front dinette into a permanent bed then sold it about a year or so later and took a hit for having done that. Can't remember her name, however do remember she used a Yukon hybrid to tow it with.

That is a very small space up there- not even as wide as a "normal" twin bed so what I would advise is to not have ETI convert it, yet you could adapt it with the ability to easily make it the "bistro table" it is normally.

For the rear, we have the U-dinette in our 21 after having the standard in the 17. If I were to do it again I would do as several here have done and keep the standard then put in an 18-22" board across the back to effect that U-shape. It gives one more flexibility to have the dimensions work for them vs. one size fits all. And a U-dinette in a 19 is a bit tight compared to the 21 and a 17 would be even more so.

If it were me in a 17 I would use a Springfield pedestal with a standard dinette with a smaller table . It would then be very easy to convert to a bed should you decide to. I sleep on a twin size 3" latex topper on top of the seat cushions and when using as dinette fold the topper in half against the back of the trailer leaving plenty of room to use the dinette. It is very comfortable.

We used flip up tables or tray like you use for eating in bed for 18 months or so before going with the Springfield and it did get old.

As to where to reinforce walls I would be guessing- and we didn't do any on our 21 with no regrets. If really a concern ask ETI which single wall most reinforce in a 17.

No sure what kind of vehicle you have, however if not a truck you probably want a WDH and I like the one TDF recommended- the Husky Centerline.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, but you'll notice I qualified the statement at the end with "I hope!" Living in a household of attorneys gave me lots of practice at that.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Be nice. She was referring to the build sheet in the last question.

Ava deserves all the help we can give - first time buyer of a fiberglass trailer and plans to full time in it. Has to be fairly intimidating!

Ava, you might want to look at the Escapees forum as well as this one.
Forums - Escapees Discussion Forum
Thanks, Tom, but not to worry. I can handle a bit of ribbing from my new friends here on the Escape forum. All have been so helpful!

I deeply appreciate all of the advice you've given me thus far and will investigate the Escapees forum.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 17B
Ava, I just sent you a PM.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
Ava, I just sent you a PM.
Yes, and back at you, thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Hi Ava,

I purchased the 17B referred to by Rossue above from the lovely Ellen. I have traveled about 40,000 miles since October 2016 in my Escape, approximately 200 nights, camped in 31 states and Ontario, Canada, in temperatures ranging from -15F to 100F+. I boondock 90+% of the time. For me, the 17B is the perfect Escape model for a single traveler. I orignally towed with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and now with a 2014 Nissan Frontier. Althought the Ridgeline had a much more comfortable ride, the Frontier is a more capable tow vehicle. I use the WDD which came with the 17B originally. My trailer came equipped with: 150 watt solar on roof, (2) 6 volt batteries, USB ports on the street side of the dinette and next to the bed, 12V sockets under the dinette and in the street side cabinet above the front bed, Wilson Electronics cell booster, electric jack, front storage compartment, 3 way refrigerator, hot water heater, spray foam insulation and thermal windows, lift kit, aluminum wheels, permanent bed in the front and two extension tables: one next to the kitchen sink and the other next to the wardrobe. I have added a 100 watt portable solar panel to supplement the on-board solar when needed (which is not often). I do not have a microwave, built in inverter (I do have a 300 Watt portable inverter which I use occasionally). I have the standard dinette, however, I removed the table hardware which connected to the wall and added fold-down legs which gives me more room to enter or exit the dinette and I can take the table outside if desired.

I am considering adding a second roof mounted solar panel to the front of the 17B and upgrading my batteries to lithium or 4 AGM for more usable amp hours. I added a mattress support system from IKEA for additional support under the very comfortable front mattress (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/c...bedroom/24827/) I believe Amazon carries something similar.

I find the front permanent bed very comfortable. I am 6 foot, 210 pounds and sleep quite comfortably. That said, I do on occasion setup the dinette for sleeping when I want a bit more room to spread out (maybe every 4-5 nights). I bought a 12V charger for my laptop which for me is a better solution than charging via an inverter. I think you will find baking in a toaster oven a strain on your usable battery capacity, even with the portable solar panel.

I'm sure I will think of additional tips/experiences to share and I will when they occur. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We started with a 17B and had 100+ nights in it during an eight month period. I remember another Forum member who converted the front dinette into a permanent bed then sold it about a year or so later and took a hit for having done that. Can't remember her name, however do remember she used a Yukon hybrid to tow it with. That is a very small space up there- not even as wide as a "normal" twin bed so what I would advise is to not have ETI convert it, yet you could adapt it with the ability to easily make it the "bistro table" it is normally.
One hundred nights certainly qualifies you to respond to my post, Rossue, and I'm glad you did. I remember the post about the permanent you mentioned and have gone back and forth about it in my mind ever since, finally coming to the conclusion that 1) I'm prepared to take the risk (especially at the sales price), and 2) I'd convert the diner to a bed myself if I didn't also prefer the finished storage area beneath. Everything's a trade-off, and I'll be much happier if my clutter can be shuttered behind doors.

Quote:
For the rear, we have the U-dinette in our 21 after having the standard in the 17. If I were to do it again I would do as several here have done and keep the standard then put in an 18-22" board across the back to effect that U-shape. It gives one more flexibility to have the dimensions work for them vs. one size fits all. And a U-dinette in a 19 is a bit tight compared to the 21 and a 17 would be even more so.
A photo of the U-shaped area in a 17' convinced me that I could actually handle life full-time in such a small space, but I've never seen the standard with a board across the back and am having trouble visualizing it. Hoping someone will see this post and provide one. In the meantime, I'll look, because doing it myself would certainly save some money. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
If it were me in a 17 I would use a Springfield pedestal with a standard dinette with a smaller table . It would then be very easy to convert to a bed should you decide to. I sleep on a twin size 3" latex topper on top of the seat cushions and when using as dinette fold the topper in half against the back of the trailer leaving plenty of room to use the dinette. It is very comfortable.
Because of back issues, I actually prefer to sleep on a sofa than in a twin bed with comfortably thick mattress. (I know; it's strange.) More to the point is that I love having a living room and bedroom that I don't have to keep converting back and forth. Remember, I'll be traveling alone 90% of the time so won't need to do so as others who travel together generally do.

Quote:
We used flip up tables or tray like you use for eating in bed for 18 months or so before going with the Springfield and it did get old.
My sister and I have lovely dining room tables, but we (and her husband) have grown used to eating simple meals on trays. No fuss; no muss. Also, I won't be eating in bed (which I'd hate) but on a tray at my living room sofa.

Quote:
No sure what kind of vehicle you have, however if not a truck you probably want a WDH and I like the one TDF recommended- the Husky Centerline.

WDH or not? That is the question, and I can't come to a decision about it.

Thanks again for your input. By the end of this process - hearing from others with 17B's, I may have changed my mind about several things, including the dining room and sleeping area!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 19'
Howdy Ava

I am a single who camps alone much of the time, often in the middle of no where. I originally thought the front dinette would be great as a bed but w 2 dogs crowding me, one night was enough. If I had no pets, that space would be fine. Putting either dinette spaces in bed position w self inflating mattress such as thermarest works for me. Now the 4 person is always kept in bed position.

I’ve gone for extended trips of 2-3 months so while not full time have put just under 24,000 miles on my 2017 17b.

Don’t remember everything on your build but will mention there is a USB port in the solar controller above sink & an AC outlet to the side of the sink as well as below the 4 person dinette. Additionally there are 2 USB ports & an outlet on the side of the wardrobe. So you may not need too many extra outlets.

I did not see a outside passenger side storage cabinet on your list. To me this is a must have as well as the front storage box. I am really glad for the kitchen window & don’t miss a bath window.

Regrets? Wish I hadn’t gotten the outside shower. Wish I had gotten a 12 v outlet on passenger & driver side exterior.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingBuffalo View Post
Hi Ava, I purchased the 17B referred to by Rossue above from the lovely Ellen. I have traveled about 40,000 miles since October 2016 in my Escape, approximately 200 nights, camped in 31 states and Ontario, Canada, in temperatures ranging from -15F to 100F+. I boondock 90+% of the time. For me, the 17B is the perfect Escape model for a single traveler.
I so appreciate your response, EscapingBuffalo, as your experience is representative of the life I envision for myself. For this reason, the information you provided is truly helpful, what I needed to hear in order to get a peace about my own 17B options.

Quote:
I use the WDD which came with the 17B originally. My trailer came equipped with: 150 watt solar on roof, (2) 6 volt batteries, USB ports on the street side of the dinette and next to the bed, 12V sockets under the dinette and in the street side cabinet above the front bed, Wilson Electronics cell booster, electric jack, front storage compartment, 3 way refrigerator, hot water heater, spray foam insulation and thermal windows, lift kit, aluminum wheels, permanent bed in the front and two extension tables: one next to the kitchen sink and the other next to the wardrobe. I have added a 100 watt portable solar panel to supplement the on-board solar when needed (which is not often). I do not have a microwave, built in inverter (I do have a 300 Watt portable inverter which I use occasionally). I have the standard dinette, however, I removed the table hardware which connected to the wall and added fold-down legs which gives me more room to enter or exit the dinette and I can take the table outside if desired.
Thanks for sharing your options with me. What you've done with the table is interesting - a more versatile peace of furniture!

Quote:
I added a mattress support system from IKEA for additional support under the very comfortable front mattress (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/c...bedroom/24827/) I believe Amazon carries something similar. I find the front permanent bed very comfortable. I am 6 foot, 210 pounds and sleep quite comfortably. That said, I do on occasion setup the dinette for sleeping when I want a bit more room to spread out (maybe every 4-5 nights).
I'm so glad to hear that you're comfortable with the permanent bed. Is the mattress one provided by ETi? I think that area will provide a cozy sleeping space for me; I don't require anything bigger. Today was the first time I read about the slatted bed, and I think it may work well for me. Thanks for providing the link. I'll likely sleep in the back from time to time, also, as back issues (pressure points) sometimes make sleeping long in one place difficult. Your comments regarding this give me hope that the plan shaping up in my head will actually work.

Quote:
I'm sure I will think of additional tips/experiences to share and I will when they occur. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
Please do share anything that comes to mind, as every idea brings me closer to the build I need to help make my dreams come true.

Blessings and safe travels! 🌻
Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
WDH or not? That is the question, and I can't come to a decision about it.
A WDH can be added at any time so you can have one installed when you want.

I bought mine from Amazon and installed it myself. It takes about 30 minutes to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Regrets? Wish I hadn’t gotten the outside shower.

Why is this?
Lots use them for rinsing dogs and children or doing dishes, or even showering.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Howdy Ava

I am a single who camps alone much of the time, often in the middle of no where. I originally thought the front dinette would be great as a bed but w 2 dogs crowding me, one night was enough. If I had no pets, that space would be fine. Putting either dinette spaces in bed position w self inflating mattress such as thermarest works for me. Now the 4 person is always kept in bed position.

I’ve gone for extended trips of 2-3 months so while not full time have put just under 24,000 miles on my 2017 17b.

Don’t remember everything on your build but will mention there is a USB port in the solar controller above sink & an AC outlet to the side of the sink as well as below the 4 person dinette. Additionally there are 2 USB ports & an outlet on the side of the wardrobe. So you may not need too many extra outlets.

I did not see a outside passenger side storage cabinet on your list. To me this is a must have as well as the front storage box. I am really glad for the kitchen window & don’t miss a bath window.

Regrets? Wish I hadn’t gotten the outside shower. Wish I had gotten a 12 v outlet on passenger & driver side exterior.
Thanks for responding, Mucram! I've had dogs and/or cats through the years, so your choice of sleeping arrangements makes perfect sense and I'm impressed with the mileage. The placement of USB ports is one of my next tasks. I rotate among several Mp3 players, and one or two always need to be charging, so …

I'm thinking that I need to add two storage boxes, one in the rear passenger side and another up front beneath my permanent bed. Just added these to my build sheet, thanks.

I'm a window person so will be glad of all I they offer.

I'm curious about your reasons for a) not liking the shower and b) needing 12 v outlets at the two specific places you cited. (It's likely obvious to others but I'm a true greenhorn/newbie/ babe in the woods when it comes to RV life!)

Thanks so much for sharing this information with me. Every new thing I learn brings me closer to the build that's right for me.

Happy travels!
Ava
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
A WDH can be added at any time so you can have one installed when you want.

I bought mine from Amazon and installed it myself. It takes about 30 minutes to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good to know, Tom, though my greatest fear is losing control of the trailer before I'm even 10 miles down the road. Perhaps ETI will be able to advise me while I'm still in their lot. I suspect they will - and a good thing, too, if I need one.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Thanks for responding, Mucram! I've had dogs and/or cats through the years, so your choice of sleeping arrangements makes perfect sense and I'm impressed with the mileage. The placement of USB ports is one of my next tasks. I rotate among several Mp3 players, and one or two always need to be charging, so …

I'm thinking that I need to add two storage boxes, one in the rear passenger side and another up front beneath my permanent bed. Just added these to my build sheet, thanks.

I'm a window person so will be glad of all I they offer.

I'm curious about your reasons for a) not liking the shower and b) needing 12 v outlets at the two specific places you cited. (It's likely obvious to others but I'm a true greenhorn/newbie/ babe in the woods when it comes to RV life!)

Thanks so much for sharing this information with me. Every new thing I learn brings me closer to the build that's right for me.

Happy travels!
Ava
The outside shower is on drivers side probably dt kitchen being there thus is kind of inconvenient. Also it has leaked twice & had to be replaced even tho winterized. As to the 12v receptacles, in case need to air up tires with a 12 v pump. Hope that helps.

Ps I have refectix now in the shower compartment.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Shower on drivers side is a standard location as water accumulating on the passenger side could be undesirable as the entry door is there.

Something I forgot to mention and is an unlisted option is the topic of outside lights. Standard equipment is outside front door and driver's side. The front door is switched, yet the driver's side is not. We added a light over the front box and on the rear of the trailer and have switches inside for all. Height of the lights can be specified.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Haven't viewed your other thread so don't know if this has already been mentioned, but back when I ordered my 17B in 2018 Escape would change over the wardrobe into drawers, for a fee natch. It was $4-500 Cdn as I recall. This was off the build sheet.
I ended up doing it myself. Added a centre stack of 4 drawers with a shoe bin underneath and left a very short (maybe 4") hanging rod on either side so as to allow for hanging the odd thing. (Otherwise, coats go on hooks on the entrance side of the wardrobe, by the door.) My wife loves the drawers, which provide much more flexibility/utility than just hanging stuff in the stock wardrobe. Might want to ask Escape about this option if this appeals to you.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote