Canada in January? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA (1/9/17)
Canada in January?

We're new ... Just ordered 5.0TA this morning ... Did we really just agree to go to Canada January 9th 2017? Isn't Canada where they held those freezing cold Winter Olympics a few years back? Yup ... you guessed it ... From warm L.A. Hopefully global warming can do its magic over the next few months.
From Craig & Wendy
Former Casita owners
Escape From L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, and congrats on your order.

Depending on the weather next January, there is a good likelihood that you should be able to tow back no problem, but....... you never know for sure. The big thing is, you got your order in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
This year has been pretty much a no-go in regards to snow. Least in the Pacific NW. The passes farther south of here could be a different matter. Don't forget they can also hold the trailer for you until a warmer time of the year. They have lots of trailers sitting in their side/back lot, waiting for customers to pick them up at a date that works better for them.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From L.A. View Post
We're new ... Just ordered 5.0TA this morning ... Did we really just agree to go to Canada January 9th 2017? Isn't Canada where they held those freezing cold Winter Olympics a few years back? Yup ... you guessed it ... From warm L.A. Hopefully global warming can do its magic over the next few months.
From Craig & Wendy
Former Casita owners
Craig and Wendy,

Congratulations on getting through. So did I placed my deposit on a 21 for February delivery. Asked about it and as the ETI website states, they will hold your trailer for later pickup if you wish. My wife and I plan on a late April pickup, warranty doesn't start until you have delivery. Knowing that sunny southern California creates a better climate for trailer use get it early if you wish or just ask for a delay in pickup.

Peace ,
Steve M
Steven M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Canada in January? Well, there's Canada and there's West Coast Lotusland. You're thinking of the Canada that we on the West Coast make jokes about in January. The Great Lakes are frozen over and we're out sailing in the sunshine. But seriously, winter here is much different than the rest of Canada. Chances are it won't be freezing cold. Cooler than CA for sure but no reason not to pick up a trailer, especially if you take the coast route back or are prepared to sit out some bad weather in the OR/CA high passes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
We are from Florida and are clueless to the usual weather on our due date of Feb. 17, 2017. Should be exciting.
We do know that they will hold the trailer till later.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
We are from Florida and are clueless to the usual weather on our due date of Feb. 17, 2017. Should be exciting.
We do know that they will hold the trailer till later.
Go here: Daily Data Report for February 2015
to see what Feb. was like last year.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
We traveled along the WA, OR, CA coast this February and had great weather all month.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Spirit Deluxe Casita; expecting 2017 21' Escape Ultra, Jan 5, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Canada in January? Well, there's Canada and there's West Coast Lotusland. You're thinking of the Canada that we on the West Coast make jokes about in January. The Great Lakes are frozen over and we're out sailing in the sunshine. But seriously, winter here is much different than the rest of Canada. Chances are it won't be freezing cold. Cooler than CA for sure but no reason not to pick up a trailer, especially if you take the coast route back or are prepared to sit out some bad weather in the OR/CA high passes.

Ron
So glad to hear that, Ron! We have a January 5th delivery date for our 21 Escape! Boy that feels good to say that! SO EXCITED!
Dora
DoraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
So glad to hear that, Ron! We have a January 5th delivery date for our 21 Escape! Boy that feels good to say that! SO EXCITED!
Dora
I'm happy for you, I know the feeling.

If we decide to go to Baja again we'll be leaving in early Jan. The weather is variable but we're quite prepared to sit out a few days if an unexpected storm that dumps a lot of snow on the highway. There are worse fates than having to spend a few days snug and warm in your Escape while a winter storm passes.

Ron
Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
We are from Georgia and have 5.0ta ordered for January. Yeah! It will be a massive road trip, but we're up for a little adventure. Can't wait!
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Attached is a website of events in Portland to do on the way.

PORTLAND events, fairs, festivals - January 2016
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Thanks, there's a whole lot going on in Portland for January>
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and susan View Post
Thanks, there's a whole lot going on in Portland for January>
Yeah, be sure and join us all for No Pants Day. What a hoot! Keep Portland Weird....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
To give you an idea of how much milder the Vancouver area is from other parts of Canada, most years I am cutting my lawn by early March. The year of the Winter Olympics my long grew so early that I had to cut it the first week of February (exceptionally warm period). They had to make snow for the Winter Olympics, because it was so warm here! Cherry blossoms were blooming during the Olympics, if I'm not mistaken.

Unless you encounter a cold snap or snow storm (usually only one or two the whole winter season) you can expect temperatures between 35 -55 deg F., though in January it will tend to be between 32 - 50 deg F. The risky thing about picking up your trailer in January is that any precipitation in the mountain passes in Oregon and Washington could lead to treacherous road conditions. If you aren't in a hurry you can wait for road crews to clear and salt the mountain highways.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The year of the Winter Olympics I had to cut my lawn the first week of February (exceptionally warm period).
Bob K
Yup, and that year there wasn't even any snow at the top of the local mountains and they had to truck it in from 150 miles away.

Ron
Old 04-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The risky thing about picking up your trailer in January is that any precipitation in the mountain passes in Oregon and Washington could lead to treacherous road conditions. If you aren't in a hurry you can wait for road crews to clear and salt the mountain highways.
We don't salt roads in Oregon .

But I agree, there's a couple of passes in Oregon that can be bad Nov/Mar (usually). TripCam is your friend and especially keep an eye on the Siskiyous
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We found the one's in Eastern OR in November.
Fortunately, we hit them in the middle of precip weeks, but they were still a bit hairy.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #19

Trailer: Wannabe (currently do not own)
Fiberglass Wannabe

Craig & Wendy:
I see you are former Casita owners. What made you purchase the Escape this time? I'm vacillating between the Casita and Escape, and on paper the Escape does seem to have more elbow room, even for just one person like me. (BTW, I'm in Newhall, not too far from you.)
Tallahto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Enjoyed Showing Our 5.0TA to You Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From L.A. View Post
From Craig & Wendy
Former Casita owners
Craig and Wendy,

I am so happy you got your order in today. Betty and I enjoyed showing our trailer to you two. It was great the factory was able to connect us up. Anytime you need to look at our trailer again don't hesitate to ask, and you know you are always welcome to call, text or email.

Cliff and Betty
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote