Doug B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 E19
Doug B

Hello All.
I have been hanging around the forum for a while and decided to jump in the water. I am new to forums and you folks use a
lot of acronyms that I don't understand but I am learning. Thanks for all the knowledge that you readily share. I have learned a lot just reading everyone's posts.

We have put a deposit down on a 19 that we won't see until August 2022. I will have to be patient!!!!!

We are retired and live in the mountains of North Georgia.
Doug-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdjb@gmail.com View Post
Hello All.
I have been hanging around the forum for a while and decided to jump in the water. I am new to forums and you folks use a
lot of acronyms that I don't understand but I am learning. Thanks for all the knowledge that you readily share. I have learned a lot just reading everyone's posts.

We have put a deposit down on a 19 that we won't see until August 2022. I will have to be patient!!!!!

We are retired and live in the mountains of North Georgia.
Anytime you see something you can’t figure out. Just post and ask. Someone will jump in and define it for you. They will not think poorly of you and 50 other people will learn what the acronym means. YMMV. Your Milage May Vary Belongs to Donna D. But you can use it.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Welcome. I like the northern Georgia mountains.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Welcome to the Forum. We have a new 19, a replacement for our 17B, both awesome trailers. We're very happy with the 19.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Doug,

The last few years several of us Escape owners have gotten together at Townsend, TN near the Smokies in April. This year might not happen, depending on vaccination schedules, but even April of 2022 would be in time for your build sheet decisions.

Keep an eye on the Owners Map at the top of this site, to see if there are owners nearer to you. It looks like we are a couple of hours away, and we have the older style, but always willing to consult.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

All.
Thank you for welcoming me. This is quite a group!
Doug-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
CAK

Trailer: 2003 Coleman
Can you tell me why you decided to go with the 19? I am debating between the 17b and 19. My thought is the 17b would be easier to tow and park.
CAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAK View Post
Can you tell me why you decided to go with the 19? I am debating between the 17b and 19. My thought is the 17b would be easier to tow and park.

i can only answer from my perspective.

Wider bed
Larger table
Larger bath
Larger fridge option
Oven option
Tandem axle
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Hello KAK.
The reason we went with the 19 is the extra room and the queen bed. I have a 4wd dodge with tow package so we will have no problem towing it. It was more expense but I thought worth the money. brroberts brought up some really good points also. For us it was the additional space. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We had a 17B at first. It was a great trailer, but we found it cramped for two of us (both small/average size women) plus 2 60-lb dogs. We got a 19 and even though it is not that much bigger it feels significantly roomier to us. The dogs can sleep under the dinette and in the doorway and we don't have to wade through 8 furry legs in the middle of the night. It is nice having a regular size dinette and the kitchen area is a bit larger. Works for us, though obviously many are happy with smaller trailers. This one hit the sweet spot for us.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What's that saying?

Go BIG, or go home.

I come from hauling a 16' Casita for years, and a 19' is a world of difference, and all good.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
CAK

Thanks to all for your replies. For those of you who have gone from a 17 to a 19, did you notice much of a difference when towing the larger 19. Did the additional weight, length, height and width have much of an impact on mpg, maneuverability, turning radius, backing up, etc, My concern at this point is that the larger 19 will have higher maintenance cost with the dual axle and more importantly might be more than a Tacoma can comfortably handle at higher elevations in the Rocky's. I don't want buyers remorse so I do appreciate opinions from those that have gone down this road before. Unfortunately there are no 17b's near me to look at so that makes the evaluation process more difficult. I don't have to make a decision for several months so the is still plenty of time to way the pros and cons. Thanks for you help.
Craig
Old 01-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Had both 17b and now a 19. Enjoyed both trailers, but the 19 is a major difference. Much roomier, without being too large, and the dual axle tow is a far better experience for me.
I tow with a Frontier which is same as Taco pretty much. Both have crappy rear suspension and I changed to Bielstein shocks, and Sumo Springs. Tows the 19 like a dream.
If I had to decide between the 17 and 19 now, it would be the 19 hands down.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Go for the 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Had both 17b and now a 19. Enjoyed both trailers, but the 19 is a major difference. Much roomier, without being too large, and the dual axle tow is a far better experience for me.
I tow with a Frontier which is same as Taco pretty much. Both have crappy rear suspension and I changed to Bielstein shocks, and Sumo Springs. Tows the 19 like a dream.
If I had to decide between the 17 and 19 now, it would be the 19 hands down.
Same for us. If you've seen a 17B and are in love with that model, then it will be perfect. BUT if you are wavering between the 17B or the 19, then definitely go for the 19, or you'll end up having to order one down the road. We loved our little 17B and it served us well at the time, but would never give up our the 19 now.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
CAK

Catherine
What is the difference in towing your 19 vs the 17B? Was the 17B easier to make turns, backup, park, travel thru city traffic, or do you find the 19 easier to tow and maneuver. We find ourselves in some small campgrounds and thought the 17B would be a better choice for that reason along with lower maintenance costs. We are both on the small side so interior height and bed size are not a concern. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My camping buddy has a 19 and I have a 17B. We often camp together at provincial parks and forestry sites. He has had no issues with the larger trailer and campsites.
I would have the 19' if I was starting over. Four-person dinette and wider aisle. Permanent bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Harmon camp.jpg  
Old 02-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Dual axle trailers actually tow better than single axle trailers. Dual axle trailers are less prone to trailer sway. Dual axle trailers have twice as many trailer brakes.

Many people find backing a dual axle trailer easier than a single axle trailer. While a dual axle trailer responds slower to turns of the tow vehicle when backing, this is what makes them easier to control for many people.

FWIW, if it wasn't for the Escape 19 having dual axles I probably would have ended up with a Casita.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've had both the 17B and now the 19. The 19 tows much better and noticed it immediately after we picked it up in Sumas. Much easier backing it into campgrounds as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #19

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Some other common acronyms:
ICYMI - In case you missed it.
BTW - By the Way.
FWIW - For what it's worth.
IMO - In my opinion.
JMO -Just my opinion.
IMHO - In my humble opinion.
AFAIK - As far as I know.
etc.

Not sure that I've found a really great list of these that isn't too big.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #20

Thanks Steve!