Escape 21 ordered - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We retrofitted our awning with this. It works very easily and reduces a lot of weight from the setup. I was surprised how heavy the spring is.

https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-8500...RW58DA1Y6BY8N0
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Sorry Perry wanted to quote Jim ! Pat
You have about three hours to edit or delete your post until it becomes permanent. Just click on the Edit button at the bottom of your post. After about three hours the Edit button goes away.

[Rant] Spent 2/3's of my career in IT. For the last eight years or so I've been moderating a recumbent forum with many hyper-active bicycle riders. We have no limit on editing a post. I still can edit one of my posts from 2004. I never have understood this limitation. Fiberglass Forum has about an 8 hour limit, that's much better for me because I'm dyslexic. Three hours is much too short and editing that limitation is available to the head moderator at the least. [/Rant]

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
We retrofitted our awning with this. It works very easily and reduces a lot of weight from the setup. I was surprised how heavy the spring is.

Yes on our previous RV , removed the spring and installed the" Pioneer kit " . I think the spring in 10 ft awning weighed 72 lbs . So if awning is longer probably weighs more . Actually liked how it worked . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You have about three hours to edit or delete your post until it becomes permanent. Just click on the Edit button at the bottom of your post. After about three hours the Edit button goes away.

[Rant] Spent 2/3's of my career in IT. For the last eight years or so I've been moderating a recumbent forum with many hyper-active bicycle riders. We have no limit on editing a post. I still can edit one of my posts from 2004. I never have understood this limitation. Fiberglass Forum has about an 8 hour limit, that's much better for me because I'm dyslexic. Three hours is much too short and editing that limitation is available to the head moderator at the least. [/Rant]

Enjoy,

Perry
Didn't know that . I thought it was just minutes . Thankyou for the info. I was just addressing Jim because you already stated you liked your manual awning . Pat
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Thanks for all the replies and info on the awning, anti sway hitch, solar, and everything else. All this info and yes the sometimes conflicting opinions does really help someone new to RVs in general and Escapes in particular to make decisions. We have about a month left to make our decisions so please keep commenting about anything and everything!
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:

I
I'm glad I saw this. I had something like it on my Lance truck camper and thought it was great. Did you install yourself and if so how difficult was the process? There is a warning about the spring tension when removing. Thanks jn
Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some residential garage doors have the big spring and some have the smaller ones along the rails. Either way, there is a lot of tension to raise that heavy door and I had one break, the damage done by the spring flailing around was costly. I was glad I was not in the garage when it happened (when the door was closed)
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I
I'm glad I saw this. I had something like it on my Lance truck camper and thought it was great. Did you install yourself and if so how difficult was the process? There is a warning about the spring tension when removing. Thanks jn
It wasn't hard at all. Used a couple of ladders to set it on, and two people to maneuver it a bit. The holes in the end caps didn't all line-up, so was a bit confusing; I just used two instead of three screws but it's not coming off.

The instructions are pretty easy.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #29

Quote:
It wasn't hard at all. Used a couple of ladders to set it on, and two people to maneuver it a bit. The holes in the end caps didn't all line-up, so was a bit confusing; I just used two instead of three screws but it's not coming off.

The instructions are pretty easy.
Who makes the Escape awning? Also, did have to do any modification to the side arms?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Who makes the Escape awning? Also, did have to do any modification to the side arms?
The manual awning that is now again being offered is a Carefree Fiesta. Maybe it is just me, but I'm confused about this crank out modification. Its really easy to just grab the tab and pull the awning out and then release it and let it wind in.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/fiesta/
Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The manual awning that is now again being offered is a Carefree Fiesta. Maybe it is just me, but I'm confused about this crank out modification. Its really easy to just grab the tab and pull the awning out and then release it and let it wind in.

Two things make the crank set-up a possible improvement. One is reducing the weight from the awning which reduces the stresses on the mounting points as you drive. The internals really are heavy.

The other is it's possible (unlikely) for the awning to release while you are traveling down the road. Securing the arms will not prevent the roller from releasing, causing the awning to become a sail at 60 mph. Again, it's not likely for the roller to release on its own but there are stories out there where it has happened.

There are even devices sold to prevent roller release, essentially locking the spool from rotating. We just decided that the crank was a better solution and gives the same safety.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Two things make the crank set-up a possible improvement. One is reducing the weight from the awning which reduces the stresses on the mounting points as you drive. The internals really are heavy.

The other is it's possible (unlikely) for the awning to release while you are traveling down the road. Securing the arms will not prevent the roller from releasing, causing the awning to become a sail at 60 mph. Again, it's not likely for the roller to release on its own but there are stories out there where it has happened.

There are even devices sold to prevent roller release, essentially locking the spool from rotating. We just decided that the crank was a better solution and gives the same safety.
Thank you for the information. Valid points. I do see on the Carefree website that the Pioneer upgrade kit is compatible with 1997 and newer Fiesta awnings...
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...grade-kit.html
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

Thanks for the info about the manufacturer and model. Looking at the orientation video I agree it appears a very simple operation. I also think, if for about $70 USD you can make the operation even simpler and more convenient plus eliminate about 70 lbs weight, for some people that's an option worth thinking about. I had a crank out awning on my truck camper that appeared identical to the Escape power awning and wish that I had something similar to that for the Escape. It was very convenient. The price point for the Escape power awning placed it above my budget restrictions otherwise I might have gotten the power awning. Thanks again for the info.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm removing the wheels on my trailer. It will save weight and I've heard stories of people getting flat tires.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm removing my propane tanks and going electric because I've heard that when the tanks run out you have to buy a new trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #36

Quote:
I
I know you were addressing Mesa but we installed. Also on our truck camper . It was very easy install . The only part to be careful with is removing the spring . Just follow the instructions . You will carefuly unwind the spring tension. Then remove the end cap and remove the spring . Replace with new end cap and that's it . Worked excellent . Ours was also the awning from Lance . Pat
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #37

I'll try to attach a picture of the my Lance setup. I see on the awning label it say's "Freedom". I had both awnings installed. The one on the side was the crank out and the one over the door was manual.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0054.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm removing the wheels on my trailer. It will save weight and I've heard stories of people getting flat tires.
Probably hurt you fuel mileage, but knock yourself out.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #39

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I also think, if for about $70 USD you can make the operation even simpler and more convenient plus eliminate about 70 lbs weight, for some people that's an option worth thinking about
I was just messing with my awning and I find it hard to believe there is 70 lbs of springs. Including the other parts and awning fabric itself I should have felt something very heavy. It's a far cry from awnings we've owned in the past. Where did this information come from?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I was just messing with my awning and I find it hard to believe there is 70 lbs of springs. Including the other parts and awning fabric itself I should have felt something very heavy. It's a far cry from awnings we've owned in the past. Where did this information come from?

Enjoy,

Perry
I agree, I think I pulled about 35 lbs or so out. Might be different size awning.