Escape 21 ordered - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 579
I apologize. I got the weight wrong. I thought I read that somewhere but I was in error.
__________________

__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I was just messing with my awning and I find it hard to believe there is 70 lbs of springs. Including the other parts and awning fabric itself I should have felt something very heavy. It's a far cry from awnings we've owned in the past. Where did this information come from?

EnjoyPerry
Perry when I removed ours I was curious and weighed them . Also the information was from the maker of the fiesta . If I can remember there was more then one spring in the 9 Ft . The only reason I changed out was going down the road the spring would unwind. The awning never unrolled , the spring would unwind and not have it's tension .I called Carefree and paid double what you can get the kit for now on Amazon . 149. But if this manual ever has a problem I will get the kit again . Very happy with the simplicity . The loss of weight was a plus . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 6,917
[QUOTE=Patandlinda;288578]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I was just messing with my awning and I find it hard to believe there is 70 lbs of springs. Including the other parts and awning fabric itself I should have felt something very heavy. It's a far cry from awnings we've owned in the past. Where did this information come from?

EnjoyPerry
Perry when I removed ours I was curious and weighed them . Also the information was from the maker of the fiesta . If I can remember there was more then one spring in the 9 Ft . The only reason I changed out was going down the road the spring would unwind. The awning never unrolled , the spring would unwind and not have it's tension .I called Carefree and paid double what you can get the kit for now on Amazon . 149. But if this manual ever has a problem I will get the kit again . Very happy with the simplicity . The loss of weight was a plus . Pat
Maybe change in weight , but ours was 72lbs . We bought the awning from Lance camper even though our camper wasn't a Lance . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 817
Just finished installing a extra awning lock to keep awning from unfurling while traveling. Had this happen when bring home our 21
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B732F54F-A7D0-47DD-B58D-7E79E695EEFEa.jpg (191.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg EC42B9A0-EE94-46F3-92BD-F31A7DC22FE0a.jpg (215.2 KB, 17 views)
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,439
I make sure the strap used to unfurl the awning is far enough away from the 'lock/unlock' switch that it can't flail in the wind and accidentally unlock it.

That, a Velcro strap around the arms and ensuring the knobs and latch on the arms are secure keeps my 10-year-old awning from unfurling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Awning strap 2.jpg (204.8 KB, 12 views)
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 817
Should have added that it u furled due to a latch malfunction. Carefree sent us a new latch /spring assembly and a new awning fabric. I replaced those an added the extra lock just in case the lock mechanism fails again. I also use straps to ensure the arms stay put. Thank you for fixing my pics
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 579
How wide is the manual awning and do the newer manual awnings still have the curved arms at the base?
__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Should have added that it u furled due to a latch malfunction. Carefree sent us a new latch /spring assembly and a new awning fabric. I replaced those an added the extra lock just in case the lock mechanism fails again. I also use straps to ensure the arms stay put. Thank you for fixing my pics
We had the same thing happen on our last leg home from pick up. Had to push the issue a bit to get a new fabric as there was a small tear at the upper left edge. Haven't yet switched out- did you do it yourself? When I do this will probably ditch the spring too.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
yangstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: North of Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Just finished installing a extra awning lock to keep awning from unfurling while traveling. Had this happen when bring home our 21
Do you remember where you got that from? I looked online and can't find that one.
Does it look like it will work?
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
How wide is the manual awning and do the newer manual awnings still have the curved arms at the base?
Don't know the answer to the first part but, no, the new awnings have straight arms.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
How wide is the manual awning and do the newer manual awnings still have the curved arms at the base?
From the ETI website:
19, 21, and 5.0TA: 12’ wide awning
17: 10’ wide

I think 8’ extension is standard.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 579
Thanks for the info
__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 817
Here’s the info for the extra awning latch that I installed. There is a pin the goes up into the awning tube so it can’t turn. Yes we changed out the latch and fabric ourselves with help from neighbors. BBQ was afterwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF97EF4B-063C-4782-B5AB-F9DFF5CB08B7.jpg (16.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg EECECF61-35CD-4377-9D40-661D1C33CC69.jpg (16.1 KB, 108 views)
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 558
Leaning toward getting the solar panel

GBB,

Nearly all the items you've mentioned can be debated as far as pro's and con's, except the solar panel.

We have three good friends who took their 21's back to ETI to have the solar panels added after trying to live without one.

I've never heard one person say that they thought the panel was a waste of money. It's so convenient to know that your batteries are charged by noon each day unless it's winter with a low sun angle or you're parked in the dark woods.

We love having the two 6 volt batteries which are still good as we approach the five year mark. The 1500 watt inverter works great for us, but we're used to inverters, and have them in all our cars and trucks.

PM me if you'd like to hear about anything over the phone.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
Do you remember where you got that from? I looked online and can't find that one.
Does it look like it will work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Here’s the info for the extra awning latch that I installed. There is a pin the goes up into the awning tube so it can’t turn. Yes we changed out the latch and fabric ourselves with help from neighbors. BBQ was afterwards
Posted this link earlier but don’t see it. Here it is again
Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Just finished installing a extra awning lock to keep awning from unfurling while traveling. Had this happen when bring home our 21


Yeah, this is what I was talking about as another option. The key point is strapping the arms together will NOT prevent the drum from unfurling if it inadvertently unlocks.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
Yeah, this is what I was talking about as another option. The key point is strapping the arms together will NOT prevent the drum from unfurling if it inadvertently unlocks.

How's that? If the two parts of the arm are strapped together there is no force pulling on the awning roller. I could also run the Velcro strap through the mounting bracket, if I was a foot or two taller.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 817
The drag caused while towing the trailer will cause the awning cover to unravel if the latch comes undone or in our case fail.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
The drag caused while towing the trailer will cause the awning cover to unravel if the latch comes undone or in our case fail.

Would that be a progressive event that you would notice in your mirrors or a instantaneous event?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
The drag caused while towing the trailer will cause the awning cover to unravel if the latch comes undone or in our case fail.
Having an additional safety feature especially one that is reasonably priced is not a bad idea. Did you get the model A?
__________________

__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×