Escape 21 ordered - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes I got the A model. It was a little while before we noticed the awning flapping as I had the mirrors pointing as to see straight back now have them pointed up more so to watch for this in the future. Watching has been regulated to my always present navigator.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here are pictures of mine, on the way home from Osoyoos in 2015, notice the arms locked with velcro straps...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2115.jpg   DSCN2116.jpg   DSCN2117.jpg   DSCN2118.jpg  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #63

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
here are pictures of mine, on the way home from osoyoos in 2015, notice the arms locked with velcro straps...
this ^^^
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #64

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yep that’s what it looked like but ours was badly torn at the back
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Here’s the info for the extra awning latch that I installed. There is a pin the goes up into the awning tube so it can’t turn. Yes we changed out the latch and fabric ourselves with help from neighbors. BBQ was afterwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Posted this link earlier but don’t see it. Here it is again
Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Thanks for that, might be worth looking into.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #66
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Thanks again for all the info and opinions. Information about the awnings is very helpful and we can see advantages and disadvantages to both. The price may be the determining factor. Two other questions:
Don't remember seeing any discussion on here about the Escape backup camera and monitor. Is it worth having or don't need it?
What options are useful that Escape doesn't mention in the build sheet? One we have seen that is interesting to us is the drawer stack instead of the open table at the foot of the bed. Does anyone have opinions about that or any other "secret" options?
Thanks again for all the help. We can't wait to get the paperwork behind us and start camping this fall!
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
With all the storage space the 21 has- which is more than any other Escape- the option to raise the drawer stack is something we don't regret. We use that counter for lots of things including parking hot pans on a wood cutting board from time to time.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
We elected the backup camera for our E21 and find it a useful tool for monitoring nearby traffic. (Also helpful for switching lanes in busy traffic.) We’ve found it useful for backing the trailer into sites and keeping an eye on anyone helping you back the trailer. A complementary tool to a good set of mirrors. Others on the forum feel the camera is unnecessary with a proper set of mirrors, but we’ve found it useful and would elect it again. It works effectively into the early evening, but is no longer useful once the ambient light gets too low. Where we have mobile phone reception, we also use this (and hand signals) for backing into sites…
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #69

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
We elected the backup camera for our E21 and find it a useful tool for monitoring nearby traffic. (Also helpful for switching lanes in busy traffic.) We’ve found it useful for backing the trailer into sites and keeping an eye on anyone helping you back the trailer. A complementary tool to a good set of mirrors. Others on the forum feel the camera is unnecessary with a proper set of mirrors, but we’ve found it useful and would elect it again. It works effectively into the early evening, but is no longer useful once the ambient light gets too low. Where we have mobile phone reception, we also use this (and hand signals) for backing into sites…
The center purple connection on the 7 pin is unused but is for optional reverse lights. If night time backing is common one could run a wire back under the trailer to a light(s) on the bumper which should provide enough illumination to make the backup camera functional.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #70

Escape 21 ordered

If you decide to specify 12-volt outlets on either side of the trailer near the wheel wells for use with a portable air compressor, consider specifying 20-amp versions of the plugs, source them online, and send them to ETI separately for installation . Specify 12-gauge wire for these circuits. The default plugs and wiring ETI appears to use is 15-amp, which is too low for many 12-volt compressors. An alternative is to clip directly to your tow vehicle battery or trailer batteries (easier in a 17 or 19). We often also carry a good quality bicycle pump…

As many others on the forum have elected, consider having ETI run 12-volt wiring “drops” to both driver and passenger side overhead cabinets. Also add extra 12- or 120-volt outlets wherever you think you might need them. It’s much more fun to spend your time camping rather than fishing wires behind the headliner of your trailer…
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The center purple connection on the 7 pin is unused but is for optional reverse lights. If night time backing is common one could run a wire back under the trailer to a light(s) on the bumper which should provide enough illumination to make the backup camera functional.

We actually had ETI run this wire from the 7th pin to the back of the trailer, but have not yet connected an LED lamp bank. It should light up when the tow vehicle’s reverse lights are illuminated… A project for later this season [emoji3]
Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #72

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
We actually had ETI run this wire from the 7th pin to the back of the trailer, but have not yet connected an LED lamp bank. It should light up when the tow vehicle’s reverse lights are illuminated… A project for later this season [emoji3]
You’re on it!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #73

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
If you decide to specify 12-volt outlets on either side of the trailer near the wheel wells for use with a portable air compressor, consider specifying 20-amp versions of the plugs, source them online, and send them to ETI separately for installation . Specify 12-gauge wire for these circuits. The default plugs and wiring ETI appears to use is 15-amp, which is too low for many 12-volt compressors. An alternative is to clip directly to your tow vehicle battery or trailer batteries (easier in a 17 or 19). We often also carry a good quality bicycle pump…
I got what I think is a 20 foot 12v extension cable. Anyway along with the compressors built in cable, which is fairly long, I have plenty of cable to reach everything from the truck outlet including the trailer spare. In addition to a TPMS for the trailer I got a second one to use with my truck spare, the trailer spare and also monitor the pressure on my Airlift 1000HD bags.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #74

Escape 21 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I got what I think is a 20 foot 12v extension cable. Anyway along with the compressors built in cable, which is fairly long, I have plenty of cable to reach everything from the truck outlet including the trailer spare. In addition to a TPMS for the trailer I got a second one to use with my truck spare, the trailer spare and also monitor the pressure on my Airlift 1000HD bags.

Sounds like a valid approach and that your compressor is working effectively with the (likely small) voltage drop associated with the extension… Interesting to hear about the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). How often have you touched up the trailer tire pressure based on the TPMS, and which brand did you use? — Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #75

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Sounds like a valid approach and that your compressor is working effectively with the (likely small) voltage drop associated with the extension… Interestingly to hear about the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). How often have you touched up the trailer tire pressure based on the TPMS, and which brand did you use? — Thanks in advance!
I don't pick the trailer up until Jun 24 so I can't answer that part. The extension cord with the compressor has been tested and works great. I've had the TPMS on the truck spare and the Air Lift bags for a few weeks and the pressure changes have been very minor and associated I think with temperature. The brands I'm sorry I'll try to get to you on that one but like most things I get they're from Amazon and I just read reviews and picked out a two. The one for the trailer is solar and I plan to keep it on an area on top of my dash that's recessed and just the right size for that device. The other TPMS is plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. I was concerned about the Airlift bag pressure because if you operate the vehicle with zero pressure in the bags they can be damaged and I had a heck of a time mounting those things.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #76

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have the rear camera and I use it all the time—as in, whenever the trailer is attached. For me it’s better by far than mirrors on the road. And of course useful for backing, since I’m a solo traveler.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #77
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Build sheet due date is approaching and we are over our budget.

Items we are considering dropping to save money are:
Inverter, Power Awning, Spray foam underneath. Of these three which one would you keep?
How necessary is an inverter? We are not heavy power users and think we will be happy with 12v power except Suzanne does need one cup of coffee in the morning and likes her small coffee pot? I know there are others options but she does like her coffee pot Would one of the plug in inverters work for a small coffee maker?
The main thing we do not like about the manual awning (besides looks and protection of the awning material) is that it interferes with the option of two windows if the awning is not open.
I have read the spray foam thread and like most of these options there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to having it. We plan to do a lot of camping in the fall and spring in the southern appalachians where we can get freezing nights from October to May so it seems like it would be helpful to us.

Your thoughts and opinions?
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd drop the inverter. I did once have a one-cup electric coffee maker and tried brewing using a 200 watt inverter in the car. It melted the cigar lighter plug. You have a propane stove. Boil water and pour over. Simple and doesn't take up counter space when not in use.

You can always add the foam later, if you find you need it.

No opinion on awning.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #79

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
I agree with @gbaglo - We got the power awning and the spray foam insulation, and decided against the inverter. We have pour over coffee at home and make it the same on the road. Its simple, easy, and one of the best methods of making coffee! If we really need 120v for an air pump or drill, we have a plug in the truck, although the truck must be running to use it. In fact, I just replaced a couple broken propane rack bolts last night using 120v from the truck. We have no regrets on this decision. This said, other people love using 120v accessories, so it depends on the user.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #80

You might search the forum for “Ron in BC’s” nice discussion about how he used extruded polystyrene sheet insulation under his trailer aftermarket to insulate for shoulder season use. Should be able to accomplish this approach for a fraction of the cost of sprayed foam. Also can be removed for access to maintenance points.