Escape 21 ordered - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
You might search the forum for “Ron in BC’s” nice discussion about how he used extruded polystyrene sheet insulation under his trailer aftermarket to insulate for shoulder season use. Should be able to accomplish this approach for a fraction of the cost of sprayed foam. Also can be removed for access to maintenance points.

Ron's post:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-7046.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
The main thing we do not like about the manual awning (besides looks and protection of the awning material) is that it interferes with the option of two windows if the awning is not open.

I have read the spray foam thread and like most of these options there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to having it. We plan to do a lot of camping in the fall and spring in the southern appalachians where we can get freezing nights from October to May so it seems like it would be helpful to us.

Your thoughts and opinions?
Just brainstorming here...since the manual awning arms release from the lower connection for a carport mode I'm wondering if they can be unlatched and rotated away from the trailer body just enough to allow the awning windows to operate fully. This would require something custom to be fabricated that would engage with the existing bracket on the trailer and the foot on the awning arm.

Regarding the under body foam I can say that we don't have it and have been in some pretty cold weather. It is much warmer than the Scamp wood floor was. We insulated that one similar to Ron's with 2" polystyrene and that is what we would do on the Escape if we found it necessary. I was just under a new 21 with spray foam and it looks like a daunting task if you ever need to work on something.
Attached Thumbnails
Erie snow.jpg  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Drop the spray foam and the inverter and switch to pour over coffee.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #84

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Would definitely drop the inverter and if needed get a portable . We like the spray foam and after a dump valve repair didn't find it to be a big problem . Also like Ron 's installation . Definitely would not get the power awning . Be prepared for headaches with power awning We belong to other forums and simplicity is your friend not motors etc. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Do you expect to use the awning more for shade or for rain protection? For shade the power awning is hard to beat for convenience. For having the awning out in the rain a lot, the manual awning will function better.

You could always skip the inverter initially and if you found you really wanted an AC outlet you could add an inverter later, mounted under the dinette bench just like ETI does, with one outlet. Likewise if you forego the foam insulation and later decide you really want it, as others have said there are several ways to insulate under the trailer after the fact.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #86

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I agree that of the three, the inverter could be added later. I don't have any of the three ordered. In South Carolina I did not see the justification for the cost of added insulation. North Carolina could be a different story. Also for the cost I can extend an awning manually. Would like to have the power but if you're up against a budget wall.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #87

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Build sheet due date is approaching and we are over our budget.

Items we are considering dropping to save money are:
Inverter, Power Awning, Spray foam underneath. Of these three which one would you keep?

We plan to do a lot of camping in the fall and spring in the southern appalachians where we can get freezing nights from October to May so it seems like it would be helpful to us.

Your thoughts and opinions?
The inverter would be the first thing to go. It can be installed easily anytime. We use the Melita pour over system for coffee.

You said you will be camping in the Appalachians. Does it rain there? It rains in Minnesota and we like to sit underneath the awning while it's raining, sometimes for days on end. If that is you, then skip the power awning. If you only want the awning for shade then skip the insulation. We like the manual awning. We have yet to open the window in our bath and can open the window an inch next to the awning arm. We also chose awning windows, so we have a rear window nearby to open, plus we can open the kitchen window. Not being able to open a couple of windows doesn't bother us.

Camping in shoulder seasons with temps in the teens and 20's, the underfloor insulation was a no-brainer. I do know our floors are not radiating cold at 15 degrees like our previous Scamp and Casita did. Yep, the floors are warm.

So it comes down to, "Is the power awning really worth $1,075 to me?"

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #88

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I agree that of the three, the inverter could be added later. I don't have any of the three ordered. In South Carolina I did not see the justification for the cost of added insulation. North Carolina could be a different story. Also for the cost I can extend an awning manually. Would like to have the power but if you're up against a budget wall.
Are you never going to camp anywhere else ? Or just stay in South Carolina ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #89

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
My husband swears by his cowboy coffee. A small coffee pot on the stove, he starts heating three cups of water, grinds beans and pours two scoops of ground coffee into the pot and leaves it on a low boil for a few minutes, takes it off the stove and pours a little cold water down the spout, lets the grounds settle, and pours his cup of coffee. He says it’s the best coffee there is. Maybe your wife could try it. I think it took a little trial and error for Tom to perfect it.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #90

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
We are going to try an espresso maker on the stove. We make lattes and mocha cafe on occasion at home so it should work for us.

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Are you never going to camp anywhere else ? Or just stay in South Carolina ? Pat
You betcha I'm gonna camp other places! But not when it's cold. Oh maybe when it's a little cold. I spent 15 winters in Montana. I've had to get up and feed stock and break the ice in the water tank when it was 20 below and the wind was howling. I don't miss cold weather.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Inverter is a needless luxury IMHO, awning will bring you happiness, the foam can be done later.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #93
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Thanks for all the info and opinions (and coffee ideas) that everyone has shared with us.
Leaning towards no inverter. I am still a little confused about what Escape systems the inverter will run that the 12v will not. If someone can steer me towards a previous thread that explains inverters, (something like inverters for dummies maybe ). I understand that we can plug something into the outlets but as far as operating the trailer off the batteries what trailer functions won't work without an inverter?

A little more explanation of our camping plans. We live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in western NC. We have dozens of state parks and forest service campgrounds within a couple of hours drive as well as the Great Smokies NP. For example we can be at Mount Mithchell State Park which is the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi in an hour. It is usually 20 degrees cooler or more there than at home. We plan to take many short trips in spring and fall when the mountains can have low 30s to mid 20s at night where we will not have hookups. We also plan to take longer trips to see more of the sights this beautiful country has as well as our great neighbors to the north. We have tent camped our way to 27 national parks so far and hope the Escape will get us to the rest and many of Canada's wonderful parks. Long winded explanation for why we are concerned about extra insulation and inverter necessity or not while still trying to save some money to go camping with.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #94

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have the ETI inverter ( 1,500 watt last I looked ). I don't run anything on AC unless I'm in a full hookup park(ing lot ), which I avoid. Everything I have can be powered by the DC outlets. I got a 12V charger for my MacBook Air. Sirius radio came with 12V charger, as did my television, phone etc.

Only thing that would require AC inverter would be a microwave and maybe a hair dryer, and of course an electric coffee maker. Those would suck the battery dry if used for any length of time without shore power.
I do have a 200 watt inverter that plugs into the cigar outlet in my vehicle. I use it to charge my camera battery, but I generally do that while driving.
Have a 75 watt inverter too that cost about $12 on sale.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #95

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Other than air conditioning, everything in the trailer can be operated off 12v or propane or 120v if plugged in. Operating 120v items off batteries is a luxury that can easily be avoided.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #96

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and opinions (and coffee ideas) that everyone has shared with us.
Leaning towards no inverter. I am still a little confused about what Escape systems the inverter will run that the 12v will not. If someone can steer me towards a previous thread that explains inverters, (something like inverters for dummies maybe ). I understand that we can plug something into the outlets but as far as operating the trailer off the batteries what trailer functions won't work without an inverter?

A little more explanation of our camping plans. We live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in western NC. We have dozens of state parks and forest service campgrounds within a couple of hours drive as well as the Great Smokies NP. For example we can be at Mount Mithchell State Park which is the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi in an hour. It is usually 20 degrees cooler or more there than at home. We plan to take many short trips in spring and fall when the mountains can have low 30s to mid 20s at night where we will not have hookups. We also plan to take longer trips to see more of the sights this beautiful country has as well as our great neighbors to the north. We have tent camped our way to 27 national parks so far and hope the Escape will get us to the rest and many of Canada's wonderful parks. Long winded explanation for why we are concerned about extra insulation and inverter necessity or not while still trying to save some money to go camping with.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
From what you indicated you probably should get the additional insulation. With the battery or batteries that you will have I agree with Glen you won't want to use stuff like the microwave. I'll anger some of the purist but I would have a generator just in case. The power awning is a nice convenience but certainly not a have to have item. If you're planning on cold weather camping the additional insulation is a must.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #97

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks like I’m in the minority but would keep the inverter and drop the other two. Power awning doesn’t really add functionality and you can do foam later or as part of a DIY project. We do have all three items in our Escape.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #98

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
An inverter would power your 120 volt AC outlets when you don't have shore power. If you get the "all outlets" option it also can power the microwave - not for long periods, but for short cooking times (nuking a hot drink at a rest stop or warming up leftovers) it's fine. The inverter won't power the air conditioner, for that you would need a generator.

Most electrical appliances come in a 12 volt version - you can get 12 volt fans, a 12 volt TV, have 12 volt USB charging plugs, so certainly you can get by without 120 volts when boondocking in most cases, to us the inverter is more of a luxury.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
How necessary is an inverter? We are not heavy power users and think we will be happy with 12v power except Suzanne does need one cup of coffee in the morning and likes her small coffee pot? I know there are others options but she does like her coffee pot
While for most people the inverter is an item that is better installed at the factory than later, if all you really want it for is coffee... that doesn't seem like much of a justification. I don't know what type of brewer this "small coffee pot" is, but whatever it is a stovetop version of the same brewing method (drip? Italian pot?) will work fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #100

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
That espresso maker is dandy--I just bought a bigger one--good strong coffee and easy to make and clean..