Escape 5.0TA expected delivery June 24’ B&W Companion Hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Here is a link to the rail mounted version I have: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...DM8550043.html. I don't see the weight listed in the specs there, but I seem to recall that it was 94 pounds. There is also a gooseneck version if you prefer that to the rails, pretty much the same base unlike the Andersen which has a much larger base for the gooseneck version.
I've been searching E Trailer's website for isolators when mounting the Demco Recon hitch to protect the F-100 aluminum bed without luck, so I called and spoke to an E Trailer customer support agent. The agent told me as far as she knows, they do not have any isolation kits for dissimilar metals. Isolating the bed rails would be easy as I can simply add a thin sheet of neoprene under the rails. I'd like to find bolt sleeve isolators and washer isolators for under the aluminum bed. I've seen similar isolators used on natural gas transmission piping where piping travels from below grade to above grade. They are used for cathodic protection.
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
.... Today I ordered the CURT 57008 7-foot vehicle-side truck bed 7-pin trailer wiring harness. It appears to be easy enough to install. I really appreciate the plug and play design, no cutting into factory wiring. It also includes isolators to protect truck beds made of aluminum which is fantastic. ....
I installed that harness in my 2005 F150 and am in the process of installing it in my 2022 F150 (along with a custom fabricated harness to locate the Ford accessory trailer TPMS/Cam 12-pin connector in the bedside adjacent to the 7-pin connector).

I've not suffered any water issues in the 2005 F150 installation, the Curt connector has been robust on both ends. I liberally applied electrical contact grease to the female connectors on both ends when I installed that harness.

On the 2021-2022 F150 It's easy to remove the 4 torx screws holding the 120VAC panel in the bed, and pull that panel out a bit, which reveals (1) the wires to that panel come from under the bed along the truck frame; and (2) provides a nice access for routing the Curt cable within the bedside space and verifying there's no risk using the holesaw near the middle upper-part of the bedside (no OE wires in that area).

IMO you should find the installation of the bedside extension harness / 7-pin connector relatively easy and very worthwhile, I really like having that connector 'where it should be' for our 5.0 trailer (rather than at the rear bumper).
Old 12-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #23

Quote:
I've been searching E Trailer's website for isolators when mounting the Demco Recon hitch to protect the F-100 aluminum bed ....
The attached Ford document on the subject may be of interest.

FWIW though my (steel) B&W turnoverball has no fasteners through the aluminum bed of the F150, it does contact the underside of the bed and was supplied with very robust clear (polypropylene?) tape to isolate those areas of contact. I've no idea where to source that tape, it's ~1mm thick or perhaps a bit less.

Not sure if you might be inclined, but I have Line-X sprayed in my aluminum bed, that would likely provide sufficient isolation from steel-rail-to-aluminum-bed contact at least on the top of the bed floor ....
Old 12-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
David thanks for the additional detailed info on the Demco Recon 5th wheel hitch. As my maximum tire payload capacity is 1604 pounds, I'm of the opinion the additional 100 pounds +/- of additional hitch weight won't be problematic for my setup.

I'm curious however on the hitch load weight of an Escape 5.0 TA at full 5500 pound GVWR. I understand this weight number would be dependent on location of items stowed within the trailer. My question, is it safe to assume the vertical load placed upon hitch would be no more than 900 pounds dry from the factory, and 1100 pounds at trailers GVWR of 5500 pounds? Are there any real-life trailer weight numbers available.

Eddie
Here’s my trailer numbers from my weighing last summer:

3760 trailer axle weight
800 pin weight

4540 trailer weight
Trailer had bike rack on back, nearly empty otherwise, full hot water tank. (Bike rack is ~40lb)
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

On the 2021-2022 F150 It's easy to remove the 4 torx screws holding the 120VAC panel in the bed, and pull that panel out a bit, which reveals (1) the wires to that panel come from under the bed along the truck frame; and (2) provides a nice access for routing the Curt cable within the bedside space and verifying there's no risk using the holesaw near the middle upper-part of the bedside (no OE wires in that area).
Centex, that is "great advice" removing the 120VAC panel and peeking inside the opening to determine location of existing wiring. Now I'm confident I can install the CURT custom wiring harness extension without duress of potentially cutting 120V wiring with hole saw. As they say sometimes you cannot see the forest for the trees.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Eddie, I wonder if you really need the Curt 57008. I spent a lot of money to have the 7pin installed in our first truck, with our second bought 6.5 years ago I didn't bother, just having the cord hang down behind the tailgate and plugged into the plug in the bumper. Never had any issues other than occasionally the right lamp fault indicator comes on, I just clean up that contact and it's gone.

Our F150 2.7EB has 1484 LB payload and I know I am close with my heavy B&W hitch but carry very little in the truck, and try to put heavy items in the rear of trailer whilst traveling. I have never weighed the trailer but would guess like splitting lanes that my overall weight is similar to his and use 800 lb as a guess for the pin weight.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Eddie, I wonder if you really need the Curt 57008.
I'd put it in the 'nice to have', not 'need to have' category. With DIY installation the cost is quite modest.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
I'd put it in the 'nice to have', not 'need to have' category. With DIY installation the cost is quite modest.
I agree but Eddie is concerned about the 120V wiring.

BTW Alan still waiting for my truck, they keep saying any day now, that's since Nov. 26 when it was supposedly in Winnipeg. I'll believe it really got built when I see it, perhaps a nice Christmas present.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Andersen verses fifth wheel hitch angle.

The one thing that I seldom see mentioned when comparing a Andersen ball hitch to a fifth wheel type hitch is the angle of hitching or unhitching. With a fifth wheel hitch the tow vehicle needs to be close to inline with the trailer to connect or un hitch where as a ball type hitch as the Andersen you can hitch or unhitch at any angle up to having the tow vehicle at near 90 degrees of the trailer.
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #30

Quote:
I installed that harness in my 2005 F150 and am in the process of installing it in my 2022 F150 (along with a custom fabricated harness to locate the Ford accessory trailer TPMS/Cam 12-pin connector in the bedside adjacent to the 7-pin connector).

I've not suffered any water issues in the 2005 F150 installation, the Curt connector has been robust on both ends. I liberally applied electrical contact grease to the female connectors on both ends when I installed that harness.

IMO you should find the installation of the bedside extension harness / 7-pin connector relatively easy and very worthwhile, I really like having that connector 'where it should be' for our 5.0 trailer (rather than at the rear bumper).
Hello Centex,

I never gave much thought to TPMS, however since reading your recent post I’m thinking I’ll need to seriously consider doing similarly to my 2021 F-150. I’ve been searching the Internet for such a 12 pin connector extension wiring harness from bumper to inside bed wall without success. I can only assume that is the reason for your custom made 12 pin connector wiring harness.

Eddie
Old 12-26-2022, 01:04 PM   #31

Quote:
.... I’ve been searching the Internet for such a 12 pin connector extension wiring harness from bumper to inside bed wall without success. I can only assume that is the reason for your custom made 12 pin connector wiring harness.
Correct.

The closest I've found are some of the harnesses offered by this vendor (but none of their offerings met my particular requirements): https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com
Old 01-12-2023, 03:26 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Eddie, I wanted to close the loop on this topic. We took delivery of our 5.0TA in Sumas, WA on Jan 3. 2023. Our TV is the XLT version of your King Ranch, same bed length, engine, cab and 4X4. We chose the Andersen hitch paired with a B&W hide-away gooseneck ball. In full transparency, I have 10's of thousands of miles experience with bumper pulls, but no experience with the standard fifth wheel hitch configuration and this is my first fifth wheel.

I can't imagine a hitching experience that is any easier than the Andersen. The hardest part is using a step stool to hook up the safety chains which are required (in some states). The same goes for unhitching. Easy and smooth.

The towing experience is also positive and very smooth. Absolutely no noise from the hitch or trailer. We pulled the 5.0 home to New Mexico through wind, rain, snow and just about everything else Old Man Winter could dream up and the 5.0 towed solidly the entire 1500 miles.

With regards to your TV, I think you will be pleased with the performance of the F150 with the 3.5 Eco Boost. Never any want for power, even up hill. The 36 gallon fuel tank with the max tow package is amazing. Our MPG was anywhere from 10 to 14 depending on geography and weather. We couldn't be happier with the rig

Best of luck to you.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:28 PM   #33

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Congratulations!

We picked up our 21C in October '22 and had the pleasure like you of wind, rain, cold weather on the way home and some snow on the way to Sumas. Our F150 3.5 yanked our new Escape back home without an issue and similar mileage.

The 36 Gallon tank is great!

It's too cold here is St. Louis for camping but it serving as a great home office for now.

Enjoy!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #34

Hi SageRpod, I very much appreciate the feedback on your maiden voyage tow on your Escape 5.0. As it so happens, yesterday I drove to a local CatScale and filled my 36 gallon fuel tank prior to driving onto scale. My 2021 King Ranch weighed in at 5740 lbs. GVWR is 7150 lbs, leaving me only 1410 lbs of available cargo weight. Although my preferred Demco Recon hitch is only slightly more than 100 lbs including mounting rails, I believe I’m going to opt for the lighter weight Anderson hitch. When considering the additional weight of those required chains, the Anderson hitch should easily shave away 50-55 lbs of hitch weight. Additionally when towing the 5.0 I might also opt to fill the tank to 3/4 full providing roughly another 54 lbs of payload capacity. I’m still trying to obtain hitch weight of a fully loaded 5.0. I’ve reached out to Escape Trailer and have yet to receive a response to that question.

Eddie
Old 01-17-2023, 03:24 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I remember reading somewhere that the pin weight on the 5.0 was about 650lbs. I plan on taking ours to be weighed as soon as we have it loaded with the gear we normally take on the road. I did decide to add Road Active Suspension to our F150 since the bare bones 5.0 pitched our front end up about an inch.

https://activesuspension.com/collections

I think you will really like the Andersen hitch. Like I said earlier, I have no experience with the standard fifth wheel hitches, but the Andersen sure is easy to work with.

Regards
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Just an FYI, we swapped out our Demco hitch for the lighter weight Andersen last year. We were heading for Arizona last year & the lads in Chilliwack who installed the Andersen let us know that some States (including Washington State I believe) require restraining chains as well, so we added those as well. We had been under the impression that 5th wheels didn’t require safety chains.
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
The one thing that I seldom see mentioned when comparing a Andersen ball hitch to a fifth wheel type hitch is the angle of hitching or unhitching. With a fifth wheel hitch the tow vehicle needs to be close to inline with the trailer to connect or un hitch where as a ball type hitch as the Andersen you can hitch or unhitch at any angle up to having the tow vehicle at near 90 degrees of the trailer.
Nope, not true.

I have a conventional fifth wheel hitch and I hitch up at an 30 degree angle to pull out of where I park the escape. I haven't had the need to hitch at any more of an angle but could if I wanted to.
DanandDaphne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by land’SCAPE View Post
.... We had been under the impression that 5th wheels didn’t require safety chains.
That's true, but some states, Texas included, recognize (appropriately, IMO) that when the Andersen hitch is installed the vehicle-to-trailer connection is no longer a "5th-wheel", thus the requirement for safety chains comes into play.

In any case, I think most folks find the safety chains are not an inconvenience worth noting; their use just becomes part of the routine of using the trailer.

Congrats on your 5.0, hope y'all are enjoying it!
Old 03-03-2023, 07:24 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
That's true, but some states, Texas included, recognize (appropriately, IMO) that when the Andersen hitch is installed the vehicle-to-trailer connection is no longer a "5th-wheel", thus the requirement for safety chains comes into play.

In any case, I think most folks find the safety chains are not an inconvenience worth noting; their use just becomes part of the routine of using the trailer.

Congrats on your 5.0, hope y'all are enjoying it!
What Centex said,,,, Its true. Your converting a true 5th wheel to a "ball and socket " with the Andersen... No big deal, the chains are nothing to attach...