Escape 5.0TA expected delivery June 24 B&W Companion Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2022, 12:40 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
Question Escape 5.0TA expected delivery June 24 B&W Companion Hitch

Hello, my name is Eddie and Im new to the Escape Forums. My Escape 5.0TA will not be ready for pick up until mid 2024 so I have plenty of time before I need to make any hitch decisions. Just yesterday I obtained my tow vehicle, 2021 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 6.5 bed, King Ranch, 4x4 , 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, max trailer tow package, 7150# GVWR package. My bed rail height is just under 57.

With all that out of the way Im curious about anyone with experience utilizing the B&W Companion or the CURT PowerRide 5th wheel hitch? I understand the Anderson Ultimate hitch is extremely light, but Id like to know from real life users the pros and cons between traditional 5th wheel hitches like the B&W and CURT vs Anderson Ultimate.

Thanks in advance for any offerings of opinions on this subject as I am a rookie.
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
Welcome Eddie,
To our little Escape world. We will help you select the best options on your new Escape......
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 1,600
The biggest advantage to the Andersen Ultimate hitch is the light weight. For many 5.0 owners the payload capacity of their pickup is marginal and saving 100 pounds or more on the hitch weight is significant. If you have plenty of payload capacity that's not much of an issue.

The majority of 5.0 owners use the Andersen and are very happy with it. I towed a small fifth wheel for many years before we got our Escape and was used to a conventional hitch and felt more comfortable with that. I have a Demco Recon hitch - although the head is just like most conventional hitches, the base is pyramid shaped rather than the bulkier A frame common to most conventional hitches so it is both lighter and smaller. It has a very small footprint in the truck bed and comes in both rail mount and gooseneck mount versions. I have a 6-1/2 foot bed and the small footprint of the Demco Recon base leaves me enough room for a large toolbox in front of it for secure storage.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about being unhappy with either type of hitch - the 5.0 is such a relatively small and light fifth wheel that you will find it easy to hitch/unhitch and it will tow like a dream with whatever hitch you choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Recon hitch 1.jpg  
__________________
David, Mary, and the cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 901
Hi Eddie! Welcome to the forum. We went with the Andersen Ultimate hitch partnered with a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch. We have almost the exact same tow vehicle as you except ours is an XLT, not a King Ranch. We pick up our 5.0TA on 1/3/2023 so we will be sure to close the loop on this thread from our perspective. We have 10+ years experience with bumper pulls, the 5.0 is our first fifth wheel. Everyone we have talked to has said the 5.0 tows like a dream.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
marsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 352
Hey Eddie,

We also have the Andersen Ultimate hitch partnered with a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch on our Ford F150, we have towed our 5.0 probably about 20000 kms so far with it and we're happy; I have to confess I have never tried one of the kingpin style hitches so no comparison experience.

One of the main reasons I got the Andersen is because we have a small garage and its very tight for space, the Andersen is actually stored on a hook on the wall in my garage taking up no space whatsoever.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
7Gentex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CenTex, Texas
Trailer: 2022 E19
Posts: 654
Payload value.......

Welcome Eddie.

It's almost 2023, so it won't be that long to wait!

What is the payload value shown on the yellow tire loading sticker on the driver's doorframe of your truck?

FYI - Light duty trucks usually run out of available payload WAY before approaching the theoretical towing values.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
splitting_lanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: San Jose, California
Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Posts: 689
Hi Eddie -

I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch for my 5.0, and I tow with a GMC Canyon, which has a 6400lb GVWR. I’m pretty happy with the Andersen hitch, but, if I had more capacity like you, and I didn’t need to remove the hitch frequently, I’d look at a traditional 5th wheel hitch. The traditional fifth wheel hitch will allow you to simply back up your truck to mate the hitch with the receiver. The Andersen is a ball, so you must raise the receiver, backup under it, then lower the trailer onto the ball, and connect the chains. It’s all of a couple extra minutes, but if you have some extra weight capacity you can save yourself those extra two minutes each time you hitch up.

Just my $.02
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:56 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
Thanks so much to all who have replied to my question on preferred brand and type of 5th wheel hitches. There is so much to yet to learn and I so very much appreciate this Escape Trailer public forum. One thing I did not consider was the tire limitation yellow sticker located in driver door jamb area. My tire loading sticker states not to exceed 1602 lbs. Assuming a fully loaded Escape 5.0 weighing the max load of 5500 lbs would add 900-1000 lbs onto the 5th wheel hitch. With that said, I can see why the vast majority of Escape 5.0 owners opt for the lighter Anderson ultimate hitch. It would also suggest loading what you possibly can into the Escape 5.0 during travel days [ensuring not to overload the 5500 lb GVWR], upon arriving at destination items could then be transferred back into tow vehicle after trailer has been unhitched. It is a lot to consider as I continue to prepare my tow vehicle. I do plan on taking my F-150 to a local Cat Scale and obtain the certified truck weight paperwork.

Today I ordered the CURT 57008 7-foot vehicle-side truck bed 7-pin trailer wiring harness. It appears to be easy enough to install. I really appreciate the plug and play design, no cutting into factory wiring. It also includes isolators to protect truck beds made of aluminum which is fantastic. Although I have read product reviews where water gets into the connectors causing connected / disconnected messaging on dash panel. I am of the opinion wrapping the connectors thoroughly with high quality electrical tape "could potentially" help prevent water migration into the plug and play connectors. My only real concern now is the Ford factory installed 120V power receptacle located driver side - inside bed wall. I'm not 100% sure on how to determine where those power supply wires have been routed within bed wall. I would hate to come in contact with those power supply wires with my 2 1/8" hole saw to prep for bed wall mounted 7-way RV blade socket receptacle. To date I haven't found any data whatsoever which would provide guidance as to rough location on the routing of those 120V power supply wiring.

More for tomorrow as they say . . .
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Welcome Eddie.

It's almost 2023, so it won't be that long to wait!

What is the payload value shown on the yellow tire loading sticker on the driver's doorframe of your truck?

FYI - Light duty trucks usually run out of available payload WAY before approaching the theoretical towing values.
Hi Eddie & welcome,

I've found the folks here to be a font of valuable info & exceedingly generous with their time & patience in sharing it. As a new 5.0 & first-time trailer owner, this community has been a real blessing.

I quoted 7Gentex as this was the best advice for me when figuring out towing related items. Payload really was the limiting factor for me.

Very best of luck to you during this exciting period!
__________________
Lorraine from Pittsburgh

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas
Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Posts: 106
We have less payload than you and use the Andersen. It came with our trailer when we bought used and we have liked it.

I would also look at a lighter fifth wheel hitch, but it has to be something under 50ish pounds for me to safely lift it out of the truck. I use my bed for other stuff and my back isnt great.

I found that trailer shops or off-road accessories shops will install the 7 pin pigtail for a reasonable price. Id call around and get a quote. It isnt a hard job, but the pain of messing it up could be huge with that AC stuff in your bed.

Nice truck and great trailer. Have fun getting ready!
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
7Gentex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CenTex, Texas
Trailer: 2022 E19
Posts: 654
Payload sounds good

#1,602 is pretty good for a "1/2 ton" optioned up pickup.

Just a metric to be aware of and plan accordingly - which it appears you are. Rear axle loading limits and individual tire capacities are items to consider as well. But, your combo ought to work just fine IMO (whatever that is worth )
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
My 2014 Ram is closer to 1300#
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post

The majority of 5.0 owners use the Andersen and are very happy with it. I towed a small fifth wheel for many years before we got our Escape and was used to a conventional hitch and felt more comfortable with that. I have a Demco Recon hitch - although the head is just like most conventional hitches, the base is pyramid shaped rather than the bulkier A frame common to most conventional hitches so it is both lighter and smaller. It has a very small footprint in the truck bed and comes in both rail mount and gooseneck mount versions. I have a 6-1/2 foot bed and the small footprint of the Demco Recon base leaves me enough room for a large toolbox in front of it for secure storage.
Hi David, I appreciate the info you provided on the Demco Recon hitch. Ive been searching the Internet on these hitches and have learned there are many model numbers available. Could you please provide the specific model number of your Demco Recon hitch? Also if you know the approximate weight that would be very helpful.

Thank you kindly,
Eddie
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
#1,602 is pretty good for a "1/2 ton" optioned up pickup.

Just a metric to be aware of and plan accordingly - which it appears you are. Rear axle loading limits and individual tire capacities are items to consider as well. But, your combo ought to work just fine IMO (whatever that is worth )
7Gentex,

Yes, my tow vehicle was definitely optioned up [special order], which I found used after a few months of searching. It comes with the 36 gallon fuel tank which I will appreciate when pulling the 5.0 on those long travel days.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Lariat with far less options, when I stumbled upon a very well-equipped King Ranch.

If only the F-150 came with upfitter switches and the 5 puck hitch system that F-250 & F-350 have as an option.

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
2021 F-150 Window Sticker.jpg  
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
Hi David, I appreciate the info you provided on the Demco Recon hitch. Ive been searching the Internet on these hitches and have learned there are many model numbers available. Could you please provide the specific model number of your Demco Recon hitch? Also if you know the approximate weight that would be very helpful.
This might help...
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...con-14854.html
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
Hi David, I appreciate the info you provided on the Demco Recon hitch. Ive been searching the Internet on these hitches and have learned there are many model numbers available. Could you please provide the specific model number of your Demco Recon hitch? Also if you know the approximate weight that would be very helpful.

Thank you kindly,
Eddie
Here is a link to the rail mounted version I have: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...DM8550043.html. I don't see the weight listed in the specs there, but I seem to recall that it was 94 pounds. There is also a gooseneck version if you prefer that to the rails, pretty much the same base unlike the Andersen which has a much larger base for the gooseneck version.
__________________
David, Mary, and the cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
David thanks for the additional detailed info on the Demco Recon 5th wheel hitch. As my maximum tire payload capacity is 1604 pounds, I'm of the opinion the additional 100 pounds +/- of additional hitch weight won't be problematic for my setup.

I'm curious however on the hitch load weight of an Escape 5.0 TA at full 5500 pound GVWR. I understand this weight number would be dependent on location of items stowed within the trailer. My question, is it safe to assume the vertical load placed upon hitch would be no more than 900 pounds dry from the factory, and 1100 pounds at trailers GVWR of 5500 pounds? Are there any real-life trailer weight numbers available.

Eddie
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Walnut, California
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
rubican327 thank you kindly for the link on the Demco Recon hitch discussion, I find this information to be quite useful.

Eddie
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
David thanks for the additional detailed info on the Demco Recon 5th wheel hitch. As my maximum tire payload capacity is 1604 pounds, I'm of the opinion the additional 100 pounds +/- of additional hitch weight won't be problematic for my setup.

I'm curious however on the hitch load weight of an Escape 5.0 TA at full 5500 pound GVWR. I understand this weight number would be dependent on location of items stowed within the trailer. My question, is it safe to assume the vertical load placed upon hitch would be no more than 900 pounds dry from the factory, and 1100 pounds at trailers GVWR of 5500 pounds? Are there any real-life trailer weight numbers available.

Eddie
While none are loaded to the full GVWR of 5500 pounds, there are 9 examples of Escape 5.0 weights listed in the Trailer Weights in the Real World Spreadsheet I keep at lakeshoreImages. Clicking on the link will download an Excel spreadsheet that can be sorted by trailer, etc & gives average trailer & hitch weights.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
....My only real concern now is the Ford factory installed 120V power receptacle located driver side - inside bed wall. I'm not 100% sure on how to determine where those power supply wires have been routed within bed wall. I would hate to come in contact with those power supply wires with my 2 1/8" hole saw to prep for bed wall mounted 7-way RV blade socket receptacle. To date I haven't found any data whatsoever which would provide guidance as to rough location on the routing of those 120V power supply wiring.

More for tomorrow as they say . . .

HI Eddie - you can probably find your answer over at the gen14F150 forum


Also your 1600lb payload capacity is pretty good; my F150 hybrid is limited to 1450 (Lariat, FX4, 5.5' bed, max tow, 7.2kw Propower)
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.