Escape hopeful - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Smile Escape hopeful

I am really enjoying the forum. We are getting ready to make the retirement leap and go from renting trailers to buying.

We have been considering a 19 or a 21 but first we have to try out our new tow vehicle with a trailer of similar weight.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Welcome to the forum. For me, I found that the helpful advice on this forum turned that retirement "leap" into a manageable "step". Out of interest, what is the tow vehicle that you have chosen?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

Hey,

Welcome perhaps if you let us know what you have for a Tow vehicle those with that vehicle can tell you what it is like to tow an Escape.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
I am really enjoying the forum. We are getting ready to make the retirement leap and go from renting trailers to buying.

We have been considering a 19 or a 21 but first we have to try out our new tow vehicle with a trailer of similar weight.
You might want to make a run up to Escape as you are fairly close and check out the factory and models they have personally.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Mountain gal: There are two threads on towing a 19 or 21 currently active under new posts. If you are interested in viewing an Escape: I have a 17, there is a 17 in Boise, a 19 in northern Idaho, and a 19 in the Idaho Falls area (see owners map for these locations). ETI might know of others nearby. Happy hunting...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

tow vehicle = 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel

Thanks for the helpful comments.

We got the diesel for the torque and the mileage. I think we have plenty of power. What I am focused on is the short wheel base. We had a 21' hybrid style trailer
about a decade ago but our tow vehicle was a half ton Suburban.

As you know, we have plenty of steep grades and winding roads so I want to see how well a trailer follows our Jeep around ( and not the other way around!). The nominal tow rating is 7200 lbs but we want to stay well under that (yes, I have been reading the towing threads).

Trial run is next week.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

Well, spoke too soon...

We seemed to have plenty of power (no problem holding speed on grades) but the coolant temperature seems to go pretty high (but not into the "red zone"). I found a thread on the dieseljeeps.com forum that shows that this is a characteristic of these vehicles, not a problem with our specific one. The Jeep rep doesn't seem to know much about it,

As for towing behavior, no sway experienced even when passing semis.

It does mean that we can't commit to a trailer until we understand this better. So I guess I will just have to keep reading about other people's excitement.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Talking Now an Escape owner to be!

We took the plunge and ordered our 21 yesterday!
Thanks to everyone on this forum for giving us a good picture of what we can expect.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Hi Mountain_gal, Welcome to Escape and wow, another 21 on the way. It seems like Reace and Tammy found themselves a winner with the 21 ft. trailer. I can only wonder when Casita is going to come out with a bigger model. We looked at both. Loren.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great, Mountain gal, you should be able to attend the rally in Osoyoos that weekend.