Escape Overwhelmment! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Smile Escape Overwhelmment!

Hello!
As former tent campers who have struggled to figure out how to incorporate camping into life after having 2 kids (now age 1, 4) and discovering so many food sensitivities/autoimmune issues that require us to eliminate processed food and cook every meal hot from our kitchen, we have felt stuck and unable to vacation! Recently I realized trailer camping might "solve all our problems" so to speak. We can spend time outdoors, have some pre-established space, and pull our so-essential kitchen with us. We literally knew nothing about this though, and lack the pulling vehicle (but hope to buy a used Toyota Highlander). After several weeks of late nights reading about camper trailers after the kids went to bed, we focused on fiberglass eggs, and then landed on the obvious brand choice - Escape! Last week we put a deposit on the 19. What I didn't expect was the large number of options, and the short turnaround needed - yikes! They kindly extended our deadline until friday.

While we want to add "all the things" in the build sheet, we are trying to also be fiscally responsible and choose only the high-impact essentials. For our cooking needs, a large refrigerator is one of the essentials. I seriously doubt a power awning is essential, despite the issues with the frameless windows. but I am open to your critique! For all the other options, well, we are having trouble deciding because everything sounds so wonderful! We have enjoyed many of the threads already posted, and found them very useful in informing options. But they always make us want more, more, more! ha!
So after lots of deliberating, and still only minimal clarity, I'm posting a link to our current build sheet and wondering if you can offer any additional suggestions. Particularly suggestions that explain if something is high impact that we might forever regret not getting. (For instance, I thought I could avoid the front storage box, but then after hearing the customization experts explanation of why escape buyers keep driving back to BC to add a storage box, I was convinced! LOL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196o...ew?usp=sharing

I enjoy meeting you all through this supportive forum. Thanks for your time!
Lindsay
Lmkeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

My link was deleted by the moderator since I am a "new member".
Hmm... how do i share with you my build sheet? The file was too large to attach.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
try copy and paste.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
One thing to remind yourself when deciding on options is if you just bought the base 19 with 0 options, you could in all likelihood go camping in it for many years and be perfectly happy. I would add the solar and dual 6-volt batteries if you’re planning to boondock, but other than that, the rest of the stuff is just icing! About all the options I put on my 19, to the tune of almost 10k, I could have easily lived without, even though most are nice to have. A good example is the electronic hitch jack. That thing is very nice to have. But am I capable of cranking up it up and down myself?? Of course. So yeah, I could have lived without it.

Just a thought to help you not get too stressed out over these decisions!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
One thing to remind yourself when deciding on options is if you just bought the base 19 with 0 options, you could in all likelihood go camping in it for many years and be perfectly happy. I would add the solar and dual 6-volt batteries if you’re planning to boondock, but other than that, the rest of the stuff is just icing! About all the options I put on my 19, to the tune of almost 10k, I could have easily lived without, even though most are nice to have. A good example is the electronic hitch jack. That thing is very nice to have. But am I capable of cranking up it up and down myself?? Of course. So yeah, I could have lived without it.

Two big options for us were air conditioning and solar. We almost went without the solar, that would have been a big mistake. It has served us well, we "dry camp" quite a bit and having electricity is less of an issue than fresh water. Like you say the rest of the options are icing on the cake.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I di the same as Salmo7000. There were only two options I did not take, the full length wardrobe at the entry and the radio. We get no radio signals here.

Now it seems you cannot go back for upgrades so it makes even more sense to get it right up front. I probably feel differently than most people, but I am very glad we got everything. I may not use some of them often (like heating pads), but I might! I do not miss the extra 10K and now I don't have to worry about anything. Yeah right.

The nice thing about the auto awning is it does not interfere with any windows.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
If you haven't gone through this still current thread, there's lots of pros and cons of various options, which I found very useful: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...yer-18101.html

I assume with your focus on cooking, you will get the three-burner + oven.
Like many others, I would do solar now.
If you're bringing an Instant Pot, you might consider the whole house inverter for brief use since it can drain the batteries - but you have solar to pump them back up. Or use the propane stove for everything.

If you're not handy (like me), I think generally the Escape prices are not unreasonable to do now. Someone on the forum quoted something like "you're better to have it and not need it, than to need it but not have it."

I'm still deciding what to do myself, so anything I said here is in complete ignorance, but based on quite a bit of obsessive research.

Be sure to check out kavm's thread.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Here's the build sheet
Old 07-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmkeaz View Post
Hello!
As former tent campers who have struggled to figure out how to incorporate camping into life after having 2 kids (now age 1, 4) and discovering so many food sensitivities/autoimmune issues that require us to eliminate processed food and cook every meal hot from our kitchen, we have felt stuck and unable to vacation! Recently I realized trailer camping might "solve all our problems" so to speak. We can spend time outdoors, have some pre-established space, and pull our so-essential kitchen with us. We literally knew nothing about this though, and lack the pulling vehicle (but hope to buy a used Toyota Highlander). After several weeks of late nights reading about camper trailers after the kids went to bed, we focused on fiberglass eggs, and then landed on the obvious brand choice - Escape! Last week we put a deposit on the 19. What I didn't expect was the large number of options, and the short turnaround needed - yikes! They kindly extended our deadline until friday.

While we want to add "all the things" in the build sheet, we are trying to also be fiscally responsible and choose only the high-impact essentials. For our cooking needs, a large refrigerator is one of the essentials. I seriously doubt a power awning is essential, despite the issues with the frameless windows. but I am open to your critique! For all the other options, well, we are having trouble deciding because everything sounds so wonderful! We have enjoyed many of the threads already posted, and found them very useful in informing options. But they always make us want more, more, more! ha!
So after lots of deliberating, and still only minimal clarity, I'm posting a link to our current build sheet and wondering if you can offer any additional suggestions. Particularly suggestions that explain if something is high impact that we might forever regret not getting. (For instance, I thought I could avoid the front storage box, but then after hearing the customization experts explanation of why escape buyers keep driving back to BC to add a storage box, I was convinced! LOL

I enjoy meeting you all through this supportive forum. Thanks for your time!
Lindsay
Two way hot water tank is completely unnecessary a propane only water tank works fine and propane use isn't typically an issue. The two 20 lb tanks will easily last you a month. And they auto change over, so once one is empty the other one starts being used. You flip the lever replace the one tank, and start over.

I would add the Microwave under the stove.

Why are you getting frameless windows? That's $388 unnecessary dollars IMO.

Everything else looks good IMO.

edit: plan on $500 - $600 for a (WEN) 2200 watt inverter generator to run your A/C and microwave.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'd add keyless entry. in no time those kids will be off on their own and that way they can get back into the trailer if you are off somewhere, too. And also agree no need for frameless windows. Though the windows are things you can't go back and change easily.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Your build sheet looks very similar to our 21...we have 2 young boys.

I would add the TV ready...we didn't get a TV initially but wound up getting a $90 TV from Walmart last week on our outing. The closet shelves didn't seem worth it....we got a cheap set of plastic bins that the wife is fine with and it leaves some hanger space as well.

I'll back you on the frameless windows (look better and can open in rain) and 2 way water heater. We use the oven/3 burner plenty...heat up frozen pizza, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and we do at times use 3 burners, so consider if that might fit your needs as well. We had an old microwave that works fine although I'd like to get an inverter microwave at some point so we can use it boondocking. Consider getting the propane tanks filled as you will need them anyway so why give yourself something else to do right away. We also have the bathroom window and the heat strip...could go either way on them. Also an exterior hatch for the dinette bench...we got 1 out of 2 and it's pretty useful for storing the setup/takedown stuff.

Other things I am thinking about adding that I didn't yet:
- rear view camera
-TPMS
- power conditioner
- inverter (because I already have one lying around)
- exterior 12V plug (for our 12v refrigerator)
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Two way hot water tank is completely unnecessary a propane only water tank works fine and propane use isn't typically an issue.

I would add the Microwave under the stove.

Why are you getting frameless windows? That's $388 unnecessary dollars IMO.
Thank you for all this input! One thing I keep getting confused about is what will work when we are camping with no electrical hookups - would a microwave work when we have no electrical hookups?

The windows are still a dilemma to me. We want the back window to open for better ventilation. Escape now lets you mix windows, so we could go with all framed windows except for exchange the back window for a frameless, but that costs $312. So then for $360 you can get all frameless windows, and I was under the impression that the frameless were better insulated, so might be worth it. What do you think? It did look like the framed windows opened better for ventilation.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'd add keyless entry. in no time those kids will be off on their own and that way they can get back into the trailer if you are off somewhere, too. And also agree no need for frameless windows. Though the windows are things you can't go back and change easily.
Thats a good point about keyless! Thanks!
Are there any benefits to frameless windows other than back window opening?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
Your build sheet looks very similar to our 21...we have 2 young boys.

I would add the TV ready...we didn't get a TV initially but wound up getting a $90 TV from Walmart last week on our outing. The closet shelves didn't seem worth it....we got a cheap set of plastic bins that the wife is fine with and it leaves some hanger space as well.

I'll back you on the frameless windows (look better and can open in rain) and 2 way water heater. We use the oven/3 burner plenty...heat up frozen pizza, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and we do at times use 3 burners, so consider if that might fit your needs as well. We had an old microwave that works fine although I'd like to get an inverter microwave at some point so we can use it boondocking. Consider getting the propane tanks filled as you will need them anyway so why give yourself something else to do right away. We also have the bathroom window and the heat strip...could go either way on them. Also an exterior hatch for the dinette bench...we got 1 out of 2 and it's pretty useful for storing the setup/takedown stuff.

Other things I am thinking about adding that I didn't yet:
- rear view camera
-TPMS
- power conditioner
- inverter (because I already have one lying around)
- exterior 12V plug (for our 12v refrigerator)
Its so helpful to hear your version! I like the idea of TV ready and an exterior 12v plug. Also you are making me think more about the oven and microwave options. We do use them both a lot when we cook at home, I just thought we would be in a different mode when camping, and do most our cooking outside the camper on the grill/stove.

Does the oven work when you are boondocking and don't have electical hookups? I was thinking that AC, microwave, and oven wouldn't work in that instance. Does the microwave only work boondocking if you get an "inverter microwave" like you mentioned - and is the factory installed microwave one of those?
What are the moments when you appreciate the heat strip? Since I was told the AC doesn't work when boondocking, I wasn't sure we would use the heat strip very much. And the bathroom window - do you usually keep the bathroom door closed so its nice to have a little ventilation in there?
Sorry so many questions...
Old 07-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Thats a good point about keyless! Thanks!
Are there any benefits to frameless windows other than back window opening?
You can open the frameless ones in rain with no rain getting in. But I think it depends- here rain is cold, almost always, so cracking it a bit for ventilation is all I do (Pacific NW). But if you get hot humid rain- you'd want to be able to open them.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 E19
A microwave without 120V hookup would only work if you have a good inverter or a generator.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I di the same as Salmo7000. There were only two options I did not take, the full length wardrobe at the entry and the radio. We get no radio signals here.

Now it seems you cannot go back for upgrades so it makes even more sense to get it right up front. I probably feel differently than most people, but I am very glad we got everything. I may not use some of them often (like heating pads), but I might! I do not miss the extra 10K and now I don't have to worry about anything. Yeah right.

The nice thing about the auto awning is it does not interfere with any windows.
Uncle Tim, This makes sense! You are making me think twice, for sure.
On one of your posts on a different thread, I thought you may have said that you added the exterior shower to BOTH sides so you didn't have to decide. Is that what you meant? It sounds awesome - one for cooking, one for mess. That is something that sounds really useful with little kids. Was curious if that was really what you were saying.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
A microwave without 120V hookup would only work if you have a good inverter or a generator.
Do you find that many people end up getting a generator? I noticed that the availability of sites with electric hookups is dramatically diminshed right now with the sudden rise in RVing.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post

Haha, thats what we were thinking about the electronic hitch jack! But I imagine someday down the road we will be ready for the extra luxury too! Thanks for the encouragement that even a blank 19 is going to be great.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Do you find that many people end up getting a generator? I noticed that the availability of sites with electric hookups is dramatically diminshed right now with the sudden rise in RVing.
Some folks like having one, some don't. I don't know if there is a trend in either direction. It's what you feel comfortable with. Generators need gas, so that means carrying a gas can someplace, too. They can be very handy if you want to camp where there's no electric hookup (think of all the national and state forest CGs and free boondock sites), particularly if it's hot enough to need air conditioning. This time of year it can get mighty hot all the way to the Canada border and beyond.

But other than A/C, for a short burst of microwave or coffee maker use, an inverter will do. And the solar panel and 2 batts will handle that pretty well.

I always like having at least one swing-up window (like the frameless) that can stay open even in heavy rain, and also a maxx air vent cover overtop the regular vent (or else the all-in-one maxx fan that does the same), so it can stay open 24/7. With the vent fan exhausting on low it draws air in the window really great, and besides that they can be left open while the trailer is sitting unused so it doesn't get stuffy or build up moisture inside. Be aware, Escapes are very tight, and trapped moisture can condense and cause mold growth if left that way for long enough, so ventilation is really nice to have.