First trip report - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2020
First trip report

We are happy campers after completing a 1200 mile trip through Michigan's Upper Peninsula recently. We took possession of our 2020 5.0ta mid-September and the delivery process to Michigan was very smooth. Here are some initial thoughts on the 5.0ta:
Towing: The rig tracked great, even in high winds. Our back up procedures need some practice; it seems to have a little slower response than our pop-up trailer. We towed with our Ford F-150 eco-boost and averaged 12.5 miles per gallon. Luckily, it wasn't until we were home that we noticed one of the trailer's tire had a side wall bulge. Very happy with Escape Service; this will be covered by them as it's still under warranty.

Camper choices and features: Mechanicals of the 5.0 performed very well; despite some rough roads and being off-grid for 8/11 days. Battery never dropped below 50% and the furnace was used frequently, with night time temps at 30degrees Fahrenheit. We made the rookie error of trying to quickly close the manual awning with the window open, and will need to do some repairs on that. Notes on some of our choices:
--Flip up table by the sink is a great addition. After reading some reports, we also added a flip up table in the u-shaped dinette area (on refrigerator wall). We've taken this out as it impacts access to the dinette by 2-3 inches. Full sliding of the table isn't possible with it in place. Maybe with a different table, or using no table, it would work.
--Standard table: We use a table, but the lagun mount might be a better option for us in the future. I didn't research this and wish I had.
--U-shaped dinette with additional back padding --LOVE this. Very comfortable.
--Custom sink: we followed suggestions from the community and bought a Houzer E-100 sink; the depth is great.
--Love the oven feature, but we will need a pizza stone as my cookies burned on the bottom!
--The chinchilla choice for cushion fabric was great; easy to clean. We also chose Mill Axle Creek and a lighter (custom) formica, maple cabinets. Very happy with the choices.
--The storage in the 5.0 is amazing. We actually had empty cabinets and I am a packrat.
--The frameless windows are great (despite our awning error), and it was nice having them open during the rain.
--Some options we chose and are very glad we did: keyless entry; LED lights with awning; stereo, exterior faucets, captains' lights. We ordered additional 12v outlets but didn't need them. The high lift axle was helpful during five miles of rough single-lane roads in the Upper Peninsula.
Thanks for the Forum Community for helping us through the initial buying process!
Shelliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Congrats on your first trip, and thanks for the report! Glad to hear the batteries did well...what setup did you have for that, the dual 6V, or...? And did you have solar?

Most importantly...did you eat any yummy pasties?
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelliro View Post
We are happy campers after completing a 1200 mile trip through Michigan's Upper Peninsula recently.
Nice to hear and good feedback.

You're not the only person who's done the awning into window and you won't be the last.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I did the same thing to my window within 24 hours of pickup in Sumas. The little fingers that retract and extend the window broke, the window was fine. Dustin at ETI answered promptly/correctly with the following. Worked ok, but need to do it slowly... PM me if you want to talk. I also considered replacing with a slider window, account of I might just do this again, that is included in Dustins response.
Paul/Padre
Dustin response:
Hey Paul,

There are screws on the top hinge of the window which will allow you to slide the window from side to side once removed, you can then slide the arms back in to place and simply replace the screws.

1. Lippert Components is the manufacture of the windows their contact is 1-574-537-8900.
2. You must reach out to Lippert for replacement arms as we do not stock these items. Window model V000341545
3. The window replacement is $445.31 CAD plus $50 crating and shipping, I would suggest ordering directly from Lippert as shipping would be cheaper.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I also considered replacing with a slider window, account of I might just do this again,
Is it available as a slider? I have sliders yet the bathroom is an awning type. My old 19 had a vertical slider but I wasn't aware that they were still available.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I had the same accident with my awning and window, resulting in the arms coming off the track. Found a simple fix on YouTube after searching out "RC crank out window fix" - easy to do and picked up extra screws and bolts, just in case it happens again. Maybe I'll invest in a rivet gun at some point.
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
UP

Nice
I worked in the UP a lot as a communications tech for the Park Service, what were your highlights as far as places ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

We have the dual 6v batteries from Escape and the roof top solar.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Nice
I worked in the UP a lot as a communications tech for the Park Service, what were your highlights as far as places ?

We were impressed with the variety of activities in the Munising Area—great hiking, Pictured Rocks. Stayed at Bay Furnace National Forest. McClain St. Park was beautiful, and a good base to explore the Keewenaw Peninsula. And the Porkies! But make your reservation—very busy. Hiking was tremendous. What a cool job you had!
Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Very nice! Glad you are home from the first trip!

We are expecting to pick our 5.0 in May next year. Two questions:
  • You mentioned - "Custom sink: we followed suggestions from the community and bought a Houzer E-100 sink; the depth is great." Is that a modification you asked ETI to do?
  • You encountered below freezing temperatures. Did you need to worry about winterizing?

Many thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

Hi! We didn’t worry about winterizing as we didn’t experience a hard freeze; furnace kept things warm; we have the spray foam insulation as well.

Sink: it was something we asked Escape to do; it needed to be approved by them (so size dimensions fit).
Enjoy the process
Old 10-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Yes I worked at Pictured Rocks and Ilse Royals a lot.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote