flatrock2 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Me thinks trouble happens when people are too comfortable towing and want to think their TV tows their trailer "like it is isn't there". When asking a couple how they liked their Arctic Fox 5th Wheel the Mrs. went on to brag how sound their trailer version had been when she rolled it onto a guard rail. Evidently the front 1/3 had been sheared off yet it still rolled straight. Totaled it of course.

Before I get a pile-on for the above let me also say a buddy who kite surfs and is very healthy & strong will not tow a trailer. Something about backing up. My wife wishes she could go out solo or with a girlfriend but won't as she sees all I do from hitching to set up and unhitching, along with the various mechanical details that seem to arise along the way. It ain't for everybody.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT PRAY TRAVEL View Post
Hello everybody:

Just joined today - thought I'd say HI I do not have a trailer yet, but very serious about putting in an order for an Escape 19 SOON. Still trying to figure out if I would be able to tow it ... no experience whatsoever!! Towing with a 2016 Pilot - will be getting a hitch installed first ... then I'll go from there. Contacted a driving school about the possibility of trying out how it feels to tow a trailer, but they do not have a trailer for me to practice on ... might go rent a uhaul and see. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
We had no experience a few years ago and it was not a problem. Really not difficult. Backing is another matter. Have to just keep trying it. I can back into anywhere now but took some doing for quite a while. Just don't go right out on an Interstate. We like country roads when possible or state divided highways where people can pass. Makes it easier.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I second the driving school route. Much more valuable than dragging a U-Haul around. For one thing, you have an instructor to help you correct mistakes.
I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone try out a U-Haul cargo trailer instead of getting professional training. It certainly would be better to try out the rental for day, then buy the Escape with some confidence and get full training, than to buy the trailer with zero experience and have to sell it because towing a trailer turns out to be too difficult or stressful (even with training).

Trying out a rented trailer of suitable width is also a chance to determine if extended mirrors are required (which is likely) and to see what design works... before taking the first trip with the Escape without proper rear vision. One could just prop up a piece of plywood behind the tug in an appropriate place to simulate the trailer (and that might be a good place to start), but driving is different from sitting in the driveway.

In addition to the current trailer we have a large motorhome. We have no problem driving it, but many people will not drive this type of vehicle because they are not confident or are simply not competent to do so. I don't find managing a large vehicle or a trailer very difficult, but I would not assume that others are the same - everyone has their own strengths, and driving is often not one of them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think confidence comes with education and practice. I think towing a U-Haul around for a few hours will just instill fear ( especially in Richmond ).
Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dory, if it's any consolation, I've now set up at least 100 times and I still don't back up as well as I'd like to. It's just one of those things that doesn't come easy to some people. I'm far better at it than I used to be though, so I'll take it. The key is to realize you may have trouble, but you can figure it out. The driving school is a good approach if you've no experience at all, because it builds confidence. Will you do it right all the time after such a course? No, but you will have the confidence to know you can figure it out if it's not perfect.

I think once you've had your trailer for awhile, and have setup in lots of different type sites, you'll look back on it and think "what was I afraid of"?

As others have wisely pointed out, it's just a new skill -- one you get better and better at the more you do it.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
(Towing)...It ain't for everybody.
I second this statement and believe it hits the nail on the head. I've seen some really incompetent drivers towing beyond their capability out on the roads. Confidence level? That's another factor and should not be taken lightly. I would not encourage anyone to do something that's not within their comfort zone by saying "anyone can do it."
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I would not encourage anyone to do something that's not within their comfort zone by saying "anyone can do it."
True, but towing a trailer is just a bit more complex than driving a car. So, you're already halfway there.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Me thinks trouble happens when people are too comfortable towing and want to think their TV tows their trailer "like it is isn't there". When asking a couple how they liked their Arctic Fox 5th Wheel the Mrs. went on to brag how sound their trailer version had been when she rolled it onto a guard rail. Evidently the front 1/3 had been sheared off yet it still rolled straight. Totaled it of course.

Before I get a pile-on for the above let me also say a buddy who kite surfs and is very healthy & strong will not tow a trailer. Something about backing up. My wife wishes she could go out solo or with a girlfriend but won't as she sees all I do from hitching to set up and unhitching, along with the various mechanical details that seem to arise along the way. It ain't for everybody.
Hi Rossue . Never knew there was all these maintence and set ups to do . I do it . Getting better at backing up too . But my camper was sure less trouble . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 ESCAPE 19
Thanks so much for all your valuable input

First and foremost, thanks for all your honest opinion with no sugar coating!! I would definitely do a trial run with a u-haul to just have a feel for it.

I would definitely sign up for a lesson or two with Valley Driving, even if it is just for safety issues (for me and others on the road). I had read somewhere that a longer trailer is easier to manouever than a shorter one, so this gave me a bit of confidence, when choosing a 19 vs. a 17 ft.

Thinking of early retirement 2018 and do extended trips or even full time if it is workable. Until then, I will slowly but surely get my TV ready for towing, try out towing something and put in an order, maybe early next year, for an Escape 19.

Thanks once again,

Dory - Eat Pray Travel
EAT PRAY TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #30

Thanks for the links - I might do that .... take the ferry over and explore a bit during late winter or early spring.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We took our Escape to the Island this summer and were shocked at the return fare $450.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Thanks for the heads up :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We took our Escape to the Island this summer and were shocked at the return fare $450.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch .... when I head over the island, I will make sure we stay longer then We (me and my sister) are planning on an early retirement in late 2017 or early 2018, so we can stay longer at wherever we want to explore, definitely much longer in places where we have to pay through the nose to get there! Thanks again for the information.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #33

Thanks for the reassuring note!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We had no experience a few years ago and it was not a problem. Really not difficult. Backing is another matter. Have to just keep trying it. I can back into anywhere now but took some doing for quite a while. Just don't go right out on an Interstate. We like country roads when possible or state divided highways where people can pass. Makes it easier.

Hello there: I now know how to reply to various notes Thanks for the reassuring note .... Every time I think about 19 ft. of something behind me, I get really nervous ... but I also feel that motorists will be more forgiving if I am driving with a trailer behind, as long as I am in the slow lane Backing the trailer would be not as stressful for me since I will be doing it in a relatively not busy area .. hopefully. I am also planning on using secondary roads ... I think they are more scenic and hopefully most are 2 lanes!

Happy Halloween!

Dory - Eat Pray Travel
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #34

Point noted :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think confidence comes with education and practice. I think towing a U-Haul around for a few hours will just instill fear ( especially in Richmond ).

Good morning:

Fear is with me, no matter where I am going to haul anything - at least for now, that's how I feel U-Haul in Vancouver is located along South East Marine Drive - busy as can be on any given day ... imagine my sweaty palms, just thinking about it. But, I will have to do it, one way or another ... how else can I venture out into the unknown?? ha ha ha. Like Nike's ad: just do it ... maybe I'll practice in the early morning hours ....
Old 10-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #35

Put in an order??

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It takes a while to gain the experience that makes towing "comfortable". First time you drive into a gas station, comfort goes out the window. Backing into sites and driveways takes a while to get used to. You might see what its like being a rookie with a Uhaul but I don't know if it'll make you comfortable.

If you do go this route, the Escape 19's have 2 axles, single axle and double axles are quite different animals. See if Uhaul has a double axle.

Think I'd just order the trailer, then setup for some lessons once you get it. You'll get the hang of it. It's not hard, just different.
Good morning Bob:

Jump right in? I'll think about it ... I have a little over a year before I embark on my journey (with my sister), maybe full time, so I have time to get things aligned ... I will definitely take a couple of lessons that's for sure. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAT PRAY TRAVEL View Post
Fear is with me, no matter where I am going to haul anything - at least for now, that's how I feel U-Haul in Vancouver is located along South East Marine Drive - busy as can be on any given day ... imagine my sweaty palms, just thinking about it. But, I will have to do it, one way or another ... how else can I venture out into the unknown?? ha ha ha. Like Nike's ad: just do it ... maybe I'll practice in the early morning hours ....
I suggest going up the valley (east on Highway 1) to somewhere a lot less busy to rent the trial trailer - there are U-Haul locations everwhere. Pick up the trailer in somewhere like Abbotsford, where there are rural roads and big parking lots; more challenging locations and denser traffic can come much later, perhaps not until you have your own trailer. You could even combine it with a visit to the Escape factory in Chilliwack.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #37

That's much better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I suggest going up the valley (east on Highway 1) to somewhere a lot less busy to rent the trial trailer - there are U-Haul locations everwhere. Pick up the trailer in somewhere like Abbotsford, where there are rural roads and big parking lots; more challenging locations and denser traffic can come much later, perhaps not until you have your own trailer. You could even combine it with a visit to the Escape factory in Chilliwack.
Good evening Brian:

Thanks for the tip - I did not know U-Haul is everywhere - I thought the SE Marine Drive is the only location in B.C. .... how silly. I checked the trailers, the bigger ones have two axles - so I can rent one of those, and tow it around Abbotsford and the surrounding area. That is a very good suggestion, thanks. Better than towing it along SE Marine Drive!!

I had already gone to Escape Travel Industries' show room - really liked the 19 ft. Escape. From how it looks parked alongside the 21 ft and 17 ft, it does not look too big, and actually I thought it was doable for me. However, once I got home and started thinking about this and that, I started to get really worried and scared. But I am determined to succeed and experience this lifestyle firsthand, so I will book a driving lesson, hopefully with a proper travel trailer, if not, the largest U-haul there is which is very compatible to the size of 19 ft. Thanks once again for all the constructive feedback. I will report on my progress every once in a while, and hopefully, soon, I'll see you all in some National Parks or State Parks. Until then,

Happy Halloween everybody.

Dory

« On order | Newbies »