Future Escape Owner doing due diligence - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Question Future Escape Owner doing due diligence

My wife and I are close to purchasing our second trailer we've owned after a gap of 15+ years.

I'm selecting an Escape, it's highly likely I'll purchase new from ETI directly, and I'm leaning hard towards the 21NE for the layout. (TV - 2018 Highlander XLE V6)

Our trips will be State and National Park based campgrounds with some commercial campgrounds bridging the travel gaps giving a mix of full hook-up and no hook-up. We'll bring bikes (I've seen swagman bike rack posts), but that's likely to be the only thing we'd be attaching to the back of the trailer for the trips.

We seek convenience and comfort, ease, and flexibility for the use of the trailer and adding the options to best assist with that. But I'm already seeing where I'd pass on discretionary options like the Stereo/DVD player / 4 speakers. I'd opt to pick-up some bluetooth / wireless speakers that would provide greater flexibility and likely better quality of sound.

I'd appreciate any perspectives on:

1. Top "must get" options

2. Top "must avoid" options

Any other major lessons learned that you wish you learned ahead of your order would be helpful as well.

Thanks much...Chris.
CPO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I highly recommend solar and dual 6 volts, a/c, Progressive EMS, outside showers both sides, extra compartment doors to access storage from outside, relocating the curb light down low for a step light, awning LED, frameless windows, power awning. I avoid the microwave and inverter and oven.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Things I’d get
Aluminum Rims Package - Bling
Removable power cord

I’d leave out the Microwave
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We use microwave all the time. Get one if you use one regularly at home. We seldom use the inverter but when we do, it is great. What we didn't get that I wish we had- reinforced walls, both sides, dinette area. What we got that I wish we hadn't- the Jack TV antenna. Virtually never use it and use a sat dome instead. If I had been smart I would have omitted the Jack TV antenna and instead had them install a second solar panel on the roof.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
This is just me: we had a 19' with the configuration you are looking at. We now have the 21' and much prefer its arrangement. Specifically, we got tired of having one person climbing over the other. With the "regular" 21' we have plenty of room and one of us can get out of bed without disturbing the other. In addition, we much prefer the dining area in the back, as most often the view is better there. One other thought, with the "regular" 21' we would suggest you get the optional window over the dresser next to the closet. Uncertain if this is an option on the NE.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
The inverter, microwave and oven are used very frequently. Would not want to do without them.

Using the inverter to power the mike to simply reheat something sounds frivolous but, hey, we only pass this way once.

Baking brownies or bread or rolls requires an oven.

I also really like the backup camera because I don't have a spotter who can look behind me while i am backing up.

Get every possible exterior hatch because that's a very easy way to access the storage areas.

I got the spray foam insulation with the heaters but now i wonder why I got the heaters. Would not do that again.

The planning is part of the fun.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Welcome...you are going to get a lot of different comments...so here is mine in order from the basic trailer. They are generally things that are hard to add afterwards and still keep to a strict budget.

Kitchen window
Bathroom window
Air conditioning
Raised front floor

I could be very happy with a trailer that just had these options. I would not spend the extra for the frameless windows or the power awning again.

If you are handy, you can check out the link below for things you can do to personalize your trailer.

Good luck

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I highly recommend solar and dual 6 volts, a/c, Progressive EMS, outside showers both sides, extra compartment doors to access storage from outside, relocating the curb light down low for a step light, awning LED, frameless windows, power awning. I avoid the microwave and inverter and oven.
Thanks much - you hit a few I’d been considering as I scanned the build list - thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembyescape View Post
Things I’d get
Aluminum Rims Package - Bling
Removable power cord

I’d leave out the Microwave
Thanks- seeing an interesting trend on the microwave - that was something I was leaning towards but it’s going on the list to look at more closely.

The other two recommendations were also on my list.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We use microwave all the time. Get one if you use one regularly at home. We seldom use the inverter but when we do, it is great. What we didn't get that I wish we had- reinforced walls, both sides, dinette area. What we got that I wish we hadn't- the Jack TV antenna. Virtually never use it and use a sat dome instead. If I had been smart I would have omitted the Jack TV antenna and instead had them install a second solar panel on the roof.
Thanks. I agree on the jack antenna.

We cut the cord at home and I figured I could sort something out aftermarket even if a simple HDMI antenna to catch local news.

Definitely had the solar panels on the list to get.

Everything else I’d probably use my iPad to download when I have a connection then set up an HDMI connection to the tv.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The inverter, microwave and oven are used very frequently. Would not want to do without them.

Using the inverter to power the mike to simply reheat something sounds frivolous but, hey, we only pass this way once.

Baking brownies or bread or rolls requires an oven.

I also really like the backup camera because I don't have a spotter who can look behind me while i am backing up.

Get every possible exterior hatch because that's a very easy way to access the storage areas.

I got the spray foam insulation with the heaters but now i wonder why I got the heaters. Would not do that again.

The planning is part of the fun.
Thanks - the oven/microwave thing is something I’ll need to bring my wife into. She will enjoy this, But that’s dependent on my including her on what her needs will be.

I need to make sure she’s well equipped with anything she’d need to take care of things inside where it is warm and dry when it is cold and wet outside.

Good add on the back-up camera - I’ll definitely want the same to alleviate putting my wife in spotter role all the time.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Welcome...you are going to get a lot of different comments...so here is mine in order from the basic trailer. They are generally things that are hard to add afterwards and still keep to a strict budget.

Kitchen window
Bathroom window
Air conditioning
Raised front floor

I could be very happy with a trailer that just had these options. I would not spend the extra for the frameless windows or the power awning again.

If you are handy, you can check out the link below for things you can do to personalize your trailer.

Good luck
Thanks much for the feedback.

The focus on things that you can’t easily add or modify after the fact is helpful.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
This is just me: we had a 19' with the configuration you are looking at. We now have the 21' and much prefer its arrangement. Specifically, we got tired of having one person climbing over the other. With the "regular" 21' we have plenty of room and one of us can get out of bed without disturbing the other. In addition, we much prefer the dining area in the back, as most often the view is better there. One other thought, with the "regular" 21' we would suggest you get the optional window over the dresser next to the closet. Uncertain if this is an option on the NE.
Yeah - I need to make sure I’m settled on the NE v the 21. Crazy enough - when I have been looking at the 5.0, it’s been tempting me - but we’d need a different TV as we don’t have a pick-up.

Thanks for the window recommendation and that I need to walk my wife through the floor plan on the two 21 models for her visibility to both layout and what may be awkward living space that should be worked out before my pulling the trigger.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Did anyone mention the air conditioner? It is an option am I correct?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO66 View Post
Thanks - the oven/microwave thing is something I’ll need to bring my wife into. She will enjoy this, But that’s dependent on my including her on what her needs will be.

I need to make sure she’s well equipped with anything she’d need to take care of things inside where it is warm and dry when it is cold and wet outside.

Good add on the back-up camera - I’ll definitely want the same to alleviate putting my wife in spotter role all the time.
If your wife is the queen of the kitchen like my Paula, consulting with her is key! How one cooks determines a lot. When we had our 2013 19', we had a stove top and a microwave. We found we mostly used the microwave for popcorn.

Then my wife discovered the Instapot! For our 2019 5.0 we opted for the oven, omitted the microwave and included the solar / twin 6s / inverter for the Instapot for those times we do not have shore power. Now after over 13,000 miles of travel in the last year, she loves our setup.

She also pre-plans frozen meals that we save for those times we are making miles and only staying a night in one spot. The frozen meal is put in the fridge at Breakfast, then is thawed by the time we stop that evening. Really saves on meal prep after a long day of driving. Reheating in the oven also warms up the trailer.

Have fun!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
With the two 21s it also depends on where you like sit and gaze out.

Some will say they they like to sit and look out the rear...here in BC the sites we like to camp in are heavily wood so all you would see out the back is nothing but a wall of trees. We like to see the action out front where people and different trailers are passing by.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We can not make up our mind, that is why we have had an E19, then an E21, then an E19 and now an E21......!!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In my 17B, it must be maybe ten feet from the front dinette to the rear window. I can see out either end.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The toolbox!

What?! No one has mentioned the front toolbox?! The front toolbox! The front toolbox! Or is it standard now? (I haven't checked.)

As for the microwave-- my trailer did not have it. On my maiden voyage I bought a $50 Rival microwave at a Walmart in Utah, stuck it in the compartment that has the outlet for the microwave, and it has worked ever since. So you can always compensate for not getting the factory microwave.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Front toolbox ++.
Aka storage box. Don't know how you can do without. Store the nasty stuff, Coleman fluid, anti-freeze, charcoal, etc.
Highly recommended.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommended options