Hello! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For what it's worth, I often retract my manual awning to 1/2 if a storm is expected. It's enough to cover the folded chairs leaning against the trailer.

I have had to launch myself from the trailer at 3am, in the pouring rain, wearing only my 'tighty-whitey's', trying to remember how to take in the awning.
But, in BC, I still think I prefer the manual awning, since it can be tilted to shed rain, has fewer parts to break and costs less.

At least I'm not sleeping in a Sear's Sir Edmund Hillary tent ( never again ).
Old 10-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
RE: awning use. I realize there are 2 different opinions power/manual prevalent here. That is fine and each owner has their choice. But this comment is common to both types of awnings. Years ago there was a bold warning on my manual awning "This device is for use in sun protection only and not to be left unattended"....as the song goes...;love the one you're with!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
So now you can use the electric awning fully extended, in heavy rain without a pole?

Enjoy,

Perry
Any non believer about useing an electric awning should have been at the Mississippi Rally. Many of us were under Steve Dunham's awning during very heavy rainfall (enjoying biscuits and gravy and daily coffee gatherings). No, it did not collapse and yes it did drain. I am not sure if it was fully extended, but it was out a very long way.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
@Mvcorliss

This unit does have the Solar option, and 2 6 volt batts. We had out first trip this weekend, and were not able to get an eletric site. Even with Rain most of it, we made due. It was pretty awesome. That said, The battery monitor isn't super accurate, and I'll need to invesitgate some of how the GoPower stuff works a little more deeper.

John & Derek
Buy some distilled water and check the battery levels.
The gopower was a sore point for us when we bought the trailer, and I really wanted to switch it out, but it actually has never let us down. And we have the 25 amp model that really doesn't have any settings. I think your model has a bunch of switches on the back to fine tune it to the batteries you have.
Your power usage will be what dictates if the solar system can keep up with you. Ours does, even though we carry an extra panel so we can park in the shade we seldom take it out and plug it in.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I am not sure if it was fully extended, but it was out a very long way.
Until the electronic awning can be fully extended, without a stupid pole in the middle and handle heavy rain I will continue to make this recommendation. There are also differences in heavy rain: a lot vs heavy in a short time. It seems either there is a pole in the middle, poles at each corner, or it is not fully extended.

I also look at the maintenance issues here with the manual, bad wind sensors, doesn't retract properly, etc. (do a search) vs the manual. But for myself and others it doesn't matter. The manual is much more robust for rain and wind. That's just physics at work. Plus to chew someone out because they might believe the same is absurd.

Again, if I was bothered by the simple means to put out and retract a manual, or just wanted a sun screen I'd purchase the electric in a heartbeat. Again, we camp in rain quite a bit of the time, so I'll go with the proven product.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #26

Wow, wasn't meaning to chew you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Plus to chew someone out because they might believe the same is absurd.
Sorry for the offense, it wasn't intended. I was only pointing out that the awning was extended out a long way in very very heavy rain without any poles and the was rain was shedding just fine off one end.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #27

Trailer: ?
Wink

Only been enjoying this forum for a short time but I’ve identified two Hot-Button issues.

Awning type and backup camera.

Don’t comment unless you’re ready to go to battle stations.

A cold and snowy day in Colorful Colorado.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
B69AB10C-0F3E-4090-A785-12D87F3248BF.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Any non believer about useing an electric awning should have been at the Mississippi Rally. Many of us were under Steve Dunham's awning during very heavy rainfall (enjoying biscuits and gravy and daily coffee gatherings). No, it did not collapse and yes it did drain. I am not sure if it was fully extended, but it was out a very long way.
So I don’t have to baby mine so much in the rain? I was manually pushing up on each end to drain off the water last weekend while my wife was making bacon and eggs. Sounds like if I was more patient it may have built up enough to drain itself?

I do agree with Perry’s general sentiment, if a robust bulletproof awning was my focus I would have gone manual. Actually if the arm didn’t block the rear window we would have gone manual.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So I don’t have to baby mine so much in the rain? I was manually pushing up on each end to drain off the water last weekend while my wife was making bacon and eggs. Sounds like if I was more patient it may have built up enough to drain itself?

I do agree with Perry’s general sentiment, if a robust bulletproof awning was my focus I would have gone manual. Actually if the arm didn’t block the rear window we would have gone manual.
Yes, that is what appears to have worked with Steve's awning, it drooped on one corner and the water ran off that corner. I imagine it was put in at night, but I think he had it out everyday in the rain.

Hopefully Steve will chime in on his observations.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #30

I was there at the Mississippi also with my power awning, extended halfway in the rain, I have also eliminated the 90 degree door stop to allow more air and light into the 2019 units...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1116.jpg   IMG_1119.jpg  
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #31

My 2016 power awning went straight out but the newer models have been tilted 5 degrees by Escape to allow better water run off....
Old 10-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Looks like you have the awning tied down. Do you shut off the automatic retraction feature?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Only been enjoying this forum for a short time but I’ve identified two Hot-Button issues.

Awning type and backup camera.

Don’t comment unless you’re ready to go to battle stations.

A cold and snowy day in Colorful Colorado.

Ed
Also insulation, microwave, external propane, slider vs awning windows, inverters, generators, portable solar, and poutine!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Also insulation, microwave, external propane, slider vs awning windows, inverters, generators, portable solar, and poutine!
Don’t forget the 19 bed/sleep/pillow
Old 10-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
How about tires, refrigerators, and perfect tow vehicles too?

Tom
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Looks like you have the awning tied down. Do you shut off the automatic retraction feature?
No I had a temporary shelter tied down right next to the awning drip raid. It was a nasty forecast.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We got the full solar electric package and are really glad we did. It's wonderful to watch the batteries charge back up every day. Being able to use the microwave with no hookups is a real luxury and we find that we do that a lot. This trailer makes boondocking effortless, we are finding that we seek out NP, Forest Service and BLM campgrounds and just hit a commercial RV park once a week or so to do laundry and take a really long shower.
David, when you say full solar package, did you get the extra panel on the roof and the zamp port/connection?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
David, when you say full solar package, did you get the extra panel on the roof and the zamp port/connection?
No, just the standard single rooftop panel. We camp mostly in the southwest and tend to have good sun, and the single 190 watt panel has been more than enough to recharge our batteries quickly every morning. And it's nice to know it's recharging when we are driving as well.

On our recent trip we had several nights in the teens, the furnace ran a lot, we watched a DVD, and in the morning the batteries were still at 12.5. I've been surprised to see decent charging levels even when cloudy, and at first light before the sun was even up and hitting us. For our needs the convenience of the rooftop panel is ideal...if we camped in the forest with minimal sun exposure a lot I might feel differently.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
No, just the standard single rooftop panel. We camp mostly in the southwest and tend to have good sun, and the single 190 watt panel has been more than enough to recharge our batteries quickly every morning. And it's nice to know it's recharging when we are driving as well.

On our recent trip we had several nights in the teens, the furnace ran a lot, we watched a DVD, and in the morning the batteries were still at 12.5. I've been surprised to see decent charging levels even when cloudy, and at first light before the sun was even up and hitting us. For our needs the convenience of the rooftop panel is ideal...if we camped in the forest with minimal sun exposure a lot I might feel differently.
Thanks..
Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #40

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Sorry for the offense, it wasn't intended. I was only pointing out that the awning was extended out a long way in very very heavy rain without any poles and the was rain was shedding just fine off one end.
You're fine. I wasn't talking about your comment.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote