Hello! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Hello!

Hello again, this time as a new Escape 5.0 TA owner!

Derek and I are in Des Moines, Iowa.

We are super excited to be Escape Owners.

We have been RV'rs for year in the past. Owning many different RVs, but most recently we were full-timers in a 40 foot Winnebago. We settled in Iowa in 2011, and sold the motorhome mostly because it was just too big for the sort of camping we want to do now that we weren't full-time.

We haven't had an RV now for about 5 years. Started looking a few months ago, really wanting a truck camper. That just wasn't going to happen... Not enough room, not enough carry capacity!

We stumbled across Escape, and have been toying with the idea of having one built, but honestly we are quite hesitant about having to go get it, as well as the new price was a little daunghting for the size of the units.

Friday I was quite defeated ad I went to look at several other campers, and none were what we wanted. We kept circling back to Escape. We talked Friday night that we were going to put our deposit in Monday.

Then, much to our delight, we found a very gently used 2019 posted here! We ran up and got it yesterday! We couldn't be happier. I have a question or two I'll try to post in the appropriate forums.

I want to thank many of you in this forum for either offering to show me yours, or just posting information that helped us make our decision.

John & Derek
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Congrats! now comes the fun!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Congrats on the new trailer. When you get to it you can change your profiles from "Looking".
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Congrats John, so happy this worked out for you!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Congratulations! Here's to safe travels and happy camping ahead in your new Escape.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Very nice, congrats on your purchase.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	42317
You are gonna love it!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 NorthStar truck camper
Congratulations on finding the 5.0. Was that the one posted for sale in Wisconsin? If it was, I hate you! ;-) Just kidding. For the second time in two weeks we were the "next person in line" for one. I guess I'm just a little too slow on the draw.
But maybe it's for the best as now we have decided to bite the bullet and order a new one this spring. Are there any features/options in your 5.0 (or anyone else's that wants to chime in!) that you especially like? We are agonizing over all of the options now.
Mvcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvcorliss View Post
Congratulations on finding the 5.0. Was that the one posted for sale in Wisconsin? If it was, I hate you! ;-) Just kidding. For the second time in two weeks we were the "next person in line" for one. I guess I'm just a little too slow on the draw.
But maybe it's for the best as now we have decided to bite the bullet and order a new one this spring. Are there any features/options in your 5.0 (or anyone else's that wants to chime in!) that you especially like? We are agonizing over all of the options now.
We got the full solar electric package and are really glad we did. It's wonderful to watch the batteries charge back up every day. Being able to use the microwave with no hookups is a real luxury and we find that we do that a lot. This trailer makes boondocking effortless, we are finding that we seek out NP, Forest Service and BLM campgrounds and just hit a commercial RV park once a week or so to do laundry and take a really long shower.
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvcorliss View Post
I've had mine since June 24 and here is what I wish I had that I don't listed by "my" priorities:
1. Insulated tanks just in case I go somewhere cold and this is something I could do myself but it would be difficult and messy.
2. Extra insulation no way I can do this myself. Not for the cold but because I would have to listen to the AC less. Your location different situation.
3. Solar Panels The Escape price for an installed system, especially the system Escape offers, is very reasonable. I'm not a boondocker but there are even for me situations where this would be beneficial and it would be difficult to beat the Escape price. Also, no way I could begin to match the quality of their install.
4. Anything electric/electronic not offered by Escape that you intend to install that requires a wiring run talk to Escape about having that wiring installed by them

What I have that I appreciate because of my needs. Yours may be different:
1. The manual awning. I want an awning that I can use in the rain.
2. The oven. I wasn't sure about this before ordering. We're averaging a trip every 2-3 weeks and the oven is used most trips.
3. U shaped dinette. I can't imagine the trailer without it.
4. Two way water heater. As I mentioned I'm not a boondocker and the electric has been used much more than the propane. I'm installing an inside switch and that was one reason for #4 in the previous list.
5. Bathroom window
Anyway, that's my list. Your needs and priorities are almost certainly different. Have funI am

Old 10-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
What I have that I appreciate because of my needs. Yours may be different:
1. The manual awning. I want an awning that I can use in the rain.

This is erroneous. Please stop spreading disinformation.

The electric awning can be used quite effectively in the rain.

It’s fine for you to have your awning preference. It’s not okay to disinform others, especially new or prospective owners who are trying to make informed decisions.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had 2 power awnings to date, an early 2016 and a late 2019 model. The early model went straight out and could be used in the rain while 1/4 way out. The newer model has a 5 degree slant, for rain run off and used recently at about 1/2 extension without issues.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

It’s fine for you to have your awning preference. It’s not okay to disinform others, especially new or prospective owners who are trying to make informed decisions.
I'm sorry I apologize

Almost forgot Again how much are you willing to pay or are you no longer interested
Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have had 2 power awnings to date, an early 2016 and a late 2019 model. The early model went straight out and could be used in the rain while 1/4 way out. The newer model has a 5 degree slant, for rain run off and used recently at about 1/2 extension without issues.
THANK YOU FOR THIS! I have a power awning (with a trailer attached) on order and I was getting nervous.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
@Mvcorliss

Sorry, but not sorry

They said I was #2 of many inquiries. The first one fell through.

It was very much a mad dash to get cash together and get to WI to get it last weekend.

They did spec some things a little differently than I would have. I am likely going to change the deal colors. Escape said they could print me a set and ship them to me for my local installer to peel off and reinstall.

I am also likely going to move the the Alloy Wheels.

This unit also did not have the U Shaped Dinette. They said they felt it was very tight, and opted out of it. I would have liked to see it and made that decision. For two of us, I would have though the amount of storage added would be worth it. I do not care for the table, although it is 100% functional it just seems not to match the quality of the rest of the unit.

This unit does have the Solar option, and 2 6 volt batts. We had out first trip this weekend, and were not able to get an eletric site. Even with Rain most of it, we made due. It was pretty awesome. That said, The battery monitor isn't super accurate, and I'll need to invesitgate some of how the GoPower stuff works a little more deeper.

We also have the full cabinet to the right of the door. Not sure I would have done that, I would have liked the shelf there...

Thanks all for the welcomes!

John & Derek
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

So now you can use the electric awning fully extended, in heavy rain without a pole?

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I'm sorry I apologize

Almost forgot Again how much are you willing to pay or are you no longer interested

No harm, no foul.

Re the spare cover, ETI indicates they’ll continue to offer the Maple Leaf as an option, so the urgency of the matter has dispersed. I do want a backup eventually as ours will eventually die, but it seems it’s not a critical shortfall as I’d thought. Unlike the SAM-1 hoods, which seem to be getting harder to come by. And those rain proofing window things for sliders that are really hard to find.

I’ll PM you about the cover [emoji6]
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Congrats on your purchase, i have been looking at Escapes on this website for years. The 5.0 on, and July 1 we bought a 2016 21, we did an 8 day boondocking trip and are going to Nova Scotia for an 11 day vacation on Weds. I hope you can enjoy yours as we are going to!
stpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
So now you can use the electric awning fully extended, in heavy rain without a pole?

Enjoy,

Perry

No. Nor can you use a manual awning during a windstorm, or the stabilizer jacks while under tow. Every part of your or my trailer has design limitations, and it is the owners responsibility to understand and operate within those limits.

The electric awning does just fine in rain when extended about 1/2 way out, so that the side arms support the center and prevent water pooling. And if the wind comes up, it retracts all in its own, whether you are at the campsite or out on a hike, or asleep in bed at 3am.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	42450

Mine has been shedding water through every rainstorm while deployed for over a month straight now.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes Jim we saw you out making coffee last weekend under the 1/2 extended awning.

John and Derek - we saw Jim doing that at last weekend's Mississippi Rally Rendezvous, It's close for you. Hopefully you'll make it there next year and show off your new to you 5.0TA. Congratulations!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote