Hello Escape Members - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2023, 12:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
This is funny. One of the reasons I bought the Coleman was to get the simple thermostat. It sets the temp just fine to me. I don’t know what it or the A/C are set on, but the temp is comfortable for me.

Different folks have different needs.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
This is funny. One of the reasons I bought the Coleman was to get the simple thermostat. It sets the temp just fine to me. I don’t know what it or the A/C are set on, but the temp is comfortable for me.

Different folks have different needs.
Yeah, but the simple thermostat goes SPRONG in the middle of the night... LOUDLY. Enough to wake me up. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #23

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I think it was this one. I had no hesitation about throwing it in the garbage. I actually enjoyed throwing it.
That is the Gas Heater t-stat and I think ours works perfect.

The Coleman Mach 10 t-stat is on the unit and is also bluetoothed so you can control it from your phone. Same goes with the solar controller.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little confused about which thermostat you had. Was it this horrible one or a different one because of the Coleman?

I've replaced two of these horrible ones but I didn't have to add any wires.

Ron
Yes, mechanical to digital thermostat is a direct replacement. Shouldn't have had to add any wires.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
I went with the manual awning which I think was a good decision but I already busted one frameless window because of it. I wish I had gotten the framed windows where the awning conflicts with it.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you were ever able to mix and match window styles.

Quote:
[*]I didn't order the toilet turnoff valve because I didn't want another potential leak in the electric locker. I think about this a lot (worry) and wish I had a way to turn the water off to the toilet in case the toilet valve goes bad. I would prefer the valve be in the bathroom.
It is good to have. Used it twice so far. Once when the flex line from the valve to the toilet sprung a leak and once when the toilet flush valve failed. Not sure about how your piping is done but it might be possible to disconnect your flex line from the toilet, add a quarter-turn valve on the end and then do a new short flex line back to the toilet. This would all reside inside the bathroom. Assumes you have a little room behind the toilet.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Pros and cons query

Hi Mr. Roberts ….. you mentioned pros and cons to having the lift kit and wondering what are the cons are. If you would kindly let us know. The pro would be to have better clearance but not sure what the con would be.

Thanks
Doug

Quote:
Lots of good suggestions here. We got the combo micro / convection oven. We don’t use either much, but there are times we really want them. We do not have an inverter, so need shore power for that. We have a generator, but it gets used less than the oven just to charge batteries if it’s been both cloudy and cold for several days.

Manual awning is much more functional for us, but does make sliding windows more useful. I’ve thought about changing the DS dinette and the kitchen window to awning style since they seem to generate less condensate drip. We have the split rear awning window. I prefer the bath slider as I can pop the screen and use my waste water hose for a good black tank flush.

We too use the electric water heater anytime we have hookups.

A/C is the Coleman. On low it has almost the same noise level and cooling output as the Houghton. Low is all we ever need. By using low, you avoid much of the short cycling issue. We also have the heat strip. We use it anytime we have hookups into the mid teens F and it keeps us warm. The Coleman made the A/C one less thing I had to install.

We also had ETI install a slightly wider sink and like that change as well.

We have the double step and lift. I prefer the trailer higher, but that has pro’s and cons.

We like the warmth of wood, but a light bright interior, so we went maple with white formica.

Solar is a must to me, but if you always plug in you don’t need it.

Everyone has preferences. Only you can decide what’s right for you. I’m not sure if CPAHarley has it figured out yet.
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
... I'd recommend spending as much time as possible noodling around on the forum.
Agree with that and I'd also recommend spending the effort to look at as many 5.0's as are within your driving range. Take the time, log the miles is my advice.

Even with great forum comments and pics I learned so much more and made so many 'smarter for me' decisions based on actual eyes-and-hands-on opportunities prior to finalizing my configuration. Every trailer I viewed was different in some respect, and seeing those differences was very enlightening. I was glad to look at a few 21's, too, just to see different galley and rear-dinette options (the 21C being very similar to the 5.0 from the galley>aft).

In spite of deep web research more than a few things were not quite as expected when viewed in person, guiding different decisions than I might have made otherwise, and for those folks that allowed me to view their trailers I'm eternally grateful.

The end result is no regrets about my specific choices, wouldn't do a thing different in hindsight.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on your impending trailer, Happy Shopping and Happy Trailering!
Old 01-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #28

More windage, more height, a tad less stable, possibly slightly reduced fuel mileage, double instead of one step, different tongue/hitch/ball height, etc. All the things that come with it being taller. None of that outweighed my desire for the lift, but, except for certain tow vehicle combinations, a lift is not required even though I prefer the extra ground clearance.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 E19
Only had use of my E19 trailer for 2 or 3 months this year but a couple of items stand out.
I didn't get an oven and don't miss it. As a matter of fact I have yet to use the stove!
Microwave is super handy for me.
I would highly recommend the passenger side outdoor shower. I ordered the outdoor shower for both sides but the passenger side is used the most.
Have fun!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Doug and Roma, welcome to our little club of owners, soon to be owners, and potential owners. If you're ever up to Winnipeg before the summer you'd be welcome to see our 2016, classic style, with the oven. We don't use the oven much but our chocolate brownies are always a hit at rallies.

We'll be in Thunder Bay early March though without the trailer, need to get the hitch into our new truck, but would be willing to meet with you to discuss Escapes.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:59 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We were lucky and scored one from the lottery and just took delivery of it at the beginning of January. We camped on the way home (1500 miles). So at this point, these are the things we really, really like:

White (modern) interior, composting toilet, Solar/lithium setup (we installed two additional batteries on our own for a total of 4), the ultra swively dinette table, SeeView tank monitor, removable power cord. We did get an oven but haven't used it yet. Plan to when we head south in Feb.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Our interior is white cabinets, Havana Tobacco flooring, and Summit Ash fabric. We like the cabinets and flooring but the fabric is a little more blue than we thought it was judging from the pictures on Escapes website.

The u-shaped dinette is great but I wish we had gotten the cushions that go across the back of the trailer split so they weren't so cumbersome to move.

My wife wishes we got the retractable hooks but I think they are overpriced. I do wish I had the reinforced walls to make it easier to install my own hooks and things.

Things that I would get again are the solar panel, passenger side outdoor shower, extra outlets and lights, frameless windows and bathroom window, and probably the power awning though I don't have experience with the manual awning.

Let me know if you're going to be in the GTA before you choose your options and want to take a look at ours.
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:36 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0
What about the spray foam underneath the trailer is that something you could do without if you live in a warmer climate not sure how it would be. If you have a problem under the trailer like the gray tape problem everybody hard I guess you would have to dig it all out?? I’d be curious to hear the pros and cons if any. Thanks in advance.
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #34

Spray foam makes it warmer, quieter, heavier, and adds some protection. Spray foam makes it much harder to do repairs underneath. We go in the winter. It was important to us. If you don’t go where it is often well below freezing days at a time, I doubt you would need it.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Spray foam makes it warmer, quieter, heavier, and adds some protection. Spray foam makes it much harder to do repairs underneath. We go in the winter. It was important to us. If you don’t go where it is often well below freezing days at a time, I doubt you would need it.
Underfloor insulation will definitely help hold some heat in but relatively speaking an Escape floor without insulation is plenty warm in the cold weather. Personally wouldn’t want the spray foam because of the difficulty for any repairs. If I did anything it would be 2” polystyrene DIY. If you want a cold floor buy a Scamp. Damp shoes will freeze to the floor.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:16 PM   #36
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
As others have said, a lot of the options depend on the individual buyer and how you plan to use the trailer. We don't use an oven much, so I opted to get a portable Coleman stovetop oven for about $50. It stores away nicely, although it is a bit on the heavy side. It fits well on top of the new flat-top Domestic 2-burner (stock stove beginning in 2022 I believe). I'd check to see if you have a stove top that will work with it if you decide to go that way.

Otherwise I recommend you consider stuff that will be difficult or impossible to change later, or cost a whole lot more to be done by a third party later on. For example, we decided on 3 reinforced walls, but I wish I had all of the upgradeable walls reinforced. Not the end of the world, but I we discovered once we started to use the trailer a lot that we would have used the other two walls we did not reinforce to hold some heavy duty hangers, etc. but I am reluctant to do so with a standard wall. Not the end of the world and a minor issue we can certainly live with, but too late to change it now.

Conversely, I'm really glad I went with my own batteries and installed my own microwave, and also glad we maxed out our solar panels.

Hopefully after reading through others experiences you can gather enough information about things that will be important to you to help you avoid any major misses in your build sheet.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #37

Geeze - you raised great points. I was thinking of a lift kit because first, we will have two e-bikes on the back of the trailer (don’t want to bottom out) and secondly, I was thinking of just having better clearance perhaps on rougher roads.

Thanks again for your education
Cheers
Doug
Old 01-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #38

Hey DT6 …. thank you for all your comments. Food for thought for sure. I’m thinking you saved a bit purchasing your own batteries and microwave.

Thanks again
Doug
Old 01-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #39

Hi …. I must really rely on the Internet forum and Facebook as there aren’t any Escape trailers in our area - at least not familiar with any Ambassadors in Northwestern Ontario. We were able to see one in Mississauga (there for 4 hours) which was very helpful. So YouTube, and all the comments on this site and Facebook have been very, very helpful.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
kevin 27, if you mean the umbra hooks, I have 3 sets in my 17 and none of them are on reinforced walls. I think with a studfinder you'd do just fine. They were installed by Escape when I arrived for pickup, back in the previous ownership days. You could look at build pictures for where supports might be located.