Hello Escape Members - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2023, 03:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
Geeze - you raised great points. I was thinking of a lift kit because first, we will have two e-bikes on the back of the trailer (don’t want to bottom out) and secondly, I was thinking of just having better clearance perhaps on rougher roads.

Thanks again for your education
Cheers
Doug
It's my understanding that the lift kit is between the axle brackets and the trailer frame. I can see having them to avoid tail dragging on steep inclines but the height from the road to the underside of the axle is still the determining factor in clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
kevin 27, if you mean the umbra hooks, I have 3 sets in my 17 and none of them are on reinforced walls. I think with a studfinder you'd do just fine. They were installed by Escape when I arrived for pickup, back in the previous ownership days. You could look at build pictures for where supports might be located.
I agree. There's structure there to attach even TV arms to and simple stick on hooks to handle other stuff.

In the unlikely event that you can't find structure to do something another option is to use a piece of wood, like the wood used for the barometer set, and fasten each end into underlying structure.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P7240016_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Hmmm, that is interesting ….. thanks
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:13 PM   #43

Hi …. thank you for your welcoming thoughts and suggestions
Old 01-21-2023, 10:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
h2owmn and Ron that's greatly appreciated! I will definitely be putting up some hooks with your suggestions when the weather warms up here
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:32 AM   #45

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Welcome Doug & Roma. I hope you like you’ll like your 5.0 as much we do.

Lots of great thoughts and comments on the Forum for all your optional items.

A few thoughts.
Awning: if I bought a new 5.0 I’d still get a manual awning for the reasons others have given, but I’d add two more. We’ve been really shocked at some of the incredible wind gusts we’ve had both here on Vancouver Island as well in the Las Vegas area last May. Some of them were so strong I was worried about the integrity of the mounts & we put the awning away immediately, (even though we had four deflappers on). I’m not sure how the electric model would’ve fared well in those situations (or closed fast enough), being secured only longitudinally. The other reason is a little bonus…..our manual awning is longer than the elect. model….for some reason.
Oven: we have the 3 burner cook top & oven. While we too cook mostly outside during the summer, we love our oven for shoulder season camping and for baking & heating stuff up. Really nice to have when you arrive late to camp sometimes or in the pouring rain. Would order again.
Microwave: love our microwave for heating things up, especially my coffee when I get distracted, which seems to be happening more often these days.
Thermostat: those original Dometic controls are not good as others have mentioned. If you can have them install a simple digital one, or do it yourself, it’s dead easy to replace.
Optional outside access: I don’t have the optional outside cubby door by the batteries in the rear - wish I did.
Dinette: A lot of people rave about the U-shaped dinette. We have the two straight benches instead and love it, (if we had young kids with us still, or grandkids this might be different). More space for your legs down below and a m u c h bigger table. Once we’re set up we can keep a lot of things on the table under the window (condiments, binoculars, books, laptop etc and still have tons of space to eat dinner without moving it all. I’m not saying that the straight bench is better, but rather, as Centex said, try to see some of these things personally if you can, to make a better decision for your lifestyle.
Optional cubbies beside your head when sleeping. We didn’t get those and have never missed having them. We have several small baskets along the side of the bed for eyeglasses, books, flashlight.
Safety: Not an option from Escape but a cheap, easy mod we’re very happy with: I was worried about about my wife tripping down the stairs to the bathroom in the night. I installed a small battery powered motion night light on the stairs, below the bed. It’s been fantastic, as it comes on just as soon as your foot comes over the end of the bed & goes out fairly quickly afterwards.
Towing: We started off with a heavy traditional hitch in the truck bed. I was over on the mainland with my truck & on a whim stopped in to discuss the Andersen Hitch. They talked me in to it & installed it while I waited. I haven’t looked back. I love it and find it much easier (faster) to hook up. I recommend.

Best of luck!
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #46

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
That is the Gas Heater t-stat and I think ours works perfect.

The Coleman Mach 10 t-stat is on the unit and is also bluetoothed so you can control it from your phone. Same goes with the solar controller.
One other thing I wish I had done is to order the Coleman with the heat strip. Then I could have heat (heat strip) and air conditioner controlled/coordinated by the same thermostat. That would avoid the issue of having the air conditioning running at the same time as the propane furnace. Yes, that has happened to me more than once. I don't hear the air conditioner running when the propane furnace is on. They are separate thermostats. I would then use the propane furnace only when needed.

The mechanical thermostat that came with the propane furnace has a slide lever for setting the temperature. You move the lever back and forth until the temperature feels good. It can not be set to a specific temperature. Once a comfortable temperature found then don't touch it. It can then be turned on or off when heat is desired. The problem with this is that in the morning I want higher temperature than when I go to bed. This results in another hunt and peck process to get the temperature so it feels ok.

The 2 wires that come with the mechanical thermostat will not operate a thermostat that needs power to sense when to turn on or has functions like temperature display or Bluetooth.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
The mechanical thermostat that came with the propane furnace has a slide lever for setting the temperature. You move the lever back and forth until the temperature feels good. It can not be set to a specific temperature. Once a comfortable temperature found then don't touch it. It can then be turned on or off when heat is desired. The problem with this is that in the morning I want higher temperature than when I go to bed. This results in another hunt and peck process to get the temperature so it feels ok.

The 2 wires that come with the mechanical thermostat will not operate a thermostat that needs power to sense when to turn on or has functions like temperature display or Bluetooth.
Not sure what the issue is. Many of use have trashed the mechanical thermostat and landed the two furnace wires on a simple battery-powered digital stat without issue. Great upgrade.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post399095
Old 01-22-2023, 10:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure what the issue is. Many of use have trashed the mechanical thermostat and landed the two furnace wires on a simple battery-powered digital stat without issue. Great upgrade.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f36/digital-thermostat-21721.html#post399095
Well, the issue is that it never occurred to me to get a battery operated thermostat. If it had, then I probably would have saved myself a lot of work and saved time and some money.

However, a couple things happened while I had the refrigerator out. I was able to move the microwave to a dedicated circuit. It came wired into the receptacle circuit that I use for a little electric heater (Escape installed a spare duplex electric wire from the electric locker to the area below the refrigerator and I used it for a dedicated microwave circuit).

The other thing that happened is I added more insulation to the refrigerator cabinet. I didn't need to but did it anyway.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Well, the issue is that it never occurred to me to get a battery operated thermostat. If it had, then I probably would have saved myself a lot of work and saved time and some money.
Ahhhh got it now. Live and learn. Sounds like you got some other nice improvements done while you were in there so that's a huge plus.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:18 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

The problem with this is that in the morning I want higher temperature than when I go to bed. This results in another hunt and peck process to get the temperature so it feels ok.
Because the thermostat in the 19 was by the bed the nice thing with the new thermostat was that I didn't have to even open my eyes in the morning. Reach up, beep, beep, beep and I've just set it 3* higher.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Because the thermostat in the 19 was by the bed the nice thing with the new thermostat was that I didn't have to even open my eyes in the morning. Reach up, beep, beep, beep and I've just set it 3* higher.

Ron
Now I can do that too or I can grab the phone laying in the corner of the bed and use it to beep beep.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by land’SCAPE View Post
Welcome Doug & Roma. I hope you like you’ll like your 5.0 as much we do.

Lots of great thoughts and comments on the Forum for all your optional items.

A few thoughts.
Awning: if I bought a new 5.0 I’d still get a manual awning for the reasons others have given, but I’d add two more. We’ve been really shocked at some of the incredible wind gusts we’ve had both here on Vancouver Island as well in the Las Vegas area last May. Some of them were so strong I was worried about the integrity of the mounts & we put the awning away immediately, (even though we had four deflappers on). I’m not sure how the electric model would’ve fared well in those situations (or closed fast enough), being secured only longitudinally. The other reason is a little bonus…..our manual awning is longer than the elect. model….for some reason.
Oven: we have the 3 burner cook top & oven. While we too cook mostly outside during the summer, we love our oven for shoulder season camping and for baking & heating stuff up. Really nice to have when you arrive late to camp sometimes or in the pouring rain. Would order again.
Microwave: love our microwave for heating things up, especially my coffee when I get distracted, which seems to be happening more often these days.
Thermostat: those original Dometic controls are not good as others have mentioned. If you can have them install a simple digital one, or do it yourself, it’s dead easy to replace.
Optional outside access: I don’t have the optional outside cubby door by the batteries in the rear - wish I did.
Dinette: A lot of people rave about the U-shaped dinette. We have the two straight benches instead and love it, (if we had young kids with us still, or grandkids this might be different). More space for your legs down below and a m u c h bigger table. Once we’re set up we can keep a lot of things on the table under the window (condiments, binoculars, books, laptop etc and still have tons of space to eat dinner without moving it all. I’m not saying that the straight bench is better, but rather, as Centex said, try to see some of these things personally if you can, to make a better decision for your lifestyle.
Optional cubbies beside your head when sleeping. We didn’t get those and have never missed having them. We have several small baskets along the side of the bed for eyeglasses, books, flashlight.
Safety: Not an option from Escape but a cheap, easy mod we’re very happy with: I was worried about about my wife tripping down the stairs to the bathroom in the night. I installed a small battery powered motion night light on the stairs, below the bed. It’s been fantastic, as it comes on just as soon as your foot comes over the end of the bed & goes out fairly quickly afterwards.
Towing: We started off with a heavy traditional hitch in the truck bed. I was over on the mainland with my truck & on a whim stopped in to discuss the Andersen Hitch. They talked me in to it & installed it while I waited. I haven’t looked back. I love it and find it much easier (faster) to hook up. I recommend.

Best of luck!
Hi landscape
We enjoyed reading your comments and I'm sure we for sure will enjoy the 5.0 as much as you have. I like the idea of your motion sensor light at the steps from the bed area - great idea. I have also seen a picture where the same handle that is located outside for getting into the trailer was installed on the back of the washroom wall to aid in getting down from the bed. We have decided to go with the convection microwave - at least for now and not go with the oven. We have also decided to go with the bench seats as well - for the same reasons you mentioned.

What are your thoughts pertaining to the lift kit? We will have two e-bikes on the back of the trailer and I'm thinking 2.5 inches will help if backing onto a bit of an incline.

Safe travels out there

Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay, ON
Old 01-22-2023, 09:04 PM   #53

Quote:

However, a couple things happened while I had the refrigerator out. I was able to move the microwave to a dedicated circuit. It came wired into the receptacle circuit that I use for a little electric heater (Escape installed a spare duplex electric wire from the electric locker to the area below the refrigerator and I used it for a dedicated microwave circuit).

The other thing that happened is I added more insulation to the refrigerator cabinet. I didn't need to but did it anyway.
Hi - interesting the ETI doesn't put the microwave on its own circuit. I will ask it they will make that happen. I believe that here in Ontario, the Electrical code requires that microwaves are on their own circuit otherwise breakers will trip. In my minds eye, ETI should be doing this.

Safe travels!
Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay, ON
Old 01-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #54

Hi Doug & Roma.

Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t really comment on the benefits of a lift kit, as we don’t have one. What I can say is that we also have two electric bikes that are close to the max. 150# load limit, (with the carrier factored in) and haven’t had any issues at all - at least so far. Our Tundra is 54” to the top bed of the bed rails which is still OK for the standard height 5.0. I thought folks opt’d for the lift kit when their truck was too tall for clearance with the trailer swing.

Richard
Old 01-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27 View Post
Our interior is white cabinets, Havana Tobacco flooring, and Summit Ash fabric. We like the cabinets and flooring but the fabric is a little more blue than we thought it was judging from the pictures on Escapes website.

The u-shaped dinette is great but I wish we had gotten the cushions that go across the back of the trailer split so they weren't so cumbersome to move.

My wife wishes we got the retractable hooks but I think they are overpriced. I do wish I had the reinforced walls to make it easier to install my own hooks and things.

Things that I would get again are the solar panel, passenger side outdoor shower, extra outlets and lights, frameless windows and bathroom window, and probably the power awning though I don't have experience with the manual awning.

Let me know if you're going to be in the GTA before you choose your options and want to take a look at ours.
Hi - actually we are visiting our kids in April over the Easter break. Perhaps then we could stop by and view your trailer. We are flying but will have use of a vehicle. We can make arrangements via email. Thank you for your kind offer

Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay
Old 01-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #56

Quote:
Hi Doug & Roma.

Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t really comment on the benefits of a lift kit, as we don’t have one. What I can say is that we also have two electric bikes that are close to the max. 150# load limit, (with the carrier factored in) and haven’t had any issues at all - at least so far. Our Tundra is 54” to the top bed of the bed rails which is still OK for the standard height 5.0. I thought folks opt’d for the lift kit when their truck was too tall for clearance with the trailer swing.

Richard
Ahh, good to know. I need to go and measure the height of the rails.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2023, 10:44 AM   #57

Quote:
Our Tundra is 54” to the top bed of the bed rails which is still OK for the standard height 5.0. I thought folks opt’d for the lift kit when their truck was too tall for clearance with the trailer swing.
Quote:
Ahh, good to know. I need to go and measure the height of the rails.
For those considering a 5.0 there is a Towing Compatibility Guide on the Escape website if you have not seen it...
https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/h...7-908a7792d9a4
Old 01-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #58

You may know this but you need an RV approved carrier for your bikes. The distance from the rear axle to the back of the trailer amplifies the movement you’d see on your car so they’re more robust. We got the Swagman E-Spec and have been very happy. It has a screw-in bolt (plus it’s locking) to tighten the hitch connection so you don’t get the side to side rocking as much. We’ve had it out all around our bouncy island and it’s performed well.

Product details
Type: Towbar Mount
Features: Folding
The E-SPEC is a hitch-mounted platform rack that is RV-approved to carry heavier ebikes safely on the back of motorhomes and travel trailers. It carries 1-2 bikes up to 80 lb each (70 lb/bike in RV-approved mode). It works with wheels 20"-29" with tires up to 3" wide. Locking ratchet arms secure your bike to the rack.

Richard
Old 01-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Safety Dougo I. Have this handhold inside the door —it’s a bit more substantial and nicer looking than the outdoor Escape one:
Attached Thumbnails
6B1DC3AD-A63D-4C4F-AEC9-F7FD1018B63Da.jpg   33EB328A-D172-4E66-9F95-99040E43642Da.jpg  
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Hi - interesting the ETI doesn't put the microwave on its own circuit. I will ask it they will make that happen. I believe that here in Ontario, the Electrical code requires that microwaves are on their own circuit otherwise breakers will trip. In my minds eye, ETI should be doing this.

Safe travels!
Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay, ON
While you’re at it you might mention it seems there could be room on the board for the extra drop lines to have their own fuse. It’s an option that is being payed for, at the least all the extra lines being purchased could be on one fuse.
If nothing else it could help whenever troubleshooting is required.
Attached Thumbnails
D05AD6D7-F8C2-4F8C-91D0-78E778EB03CE.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote