Hello Escape Members - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2023, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Question Hello Escape Members

Hello Escapees

My wife and I have been retired now coming up on two years. Last fall we put a deposit on a 5.0 and told we should expect it in July of 2024 but that still gave us an opportunity to maybe get one from the lot sooner. Well, as I'm sure others in this situation have been bumped up to newer dates - so were we - twice actually. Now we are due to pick up our 5.0 in August this year - WOOHOO! Soon we will be putting in our build sheet. Question: if you had a chance to order another Escape 5.0 would you make any changes to your build options? ie Awning - auto or manual, dinette, bench or U-shape, oven or no oven, sliding windows or awning type windows, extra outside access, colour scheme inside - wood / fabric / flooring, solar or more solar, lift kit, double step etc.

Would love to hear from you based on your experience. For all of you traveling right now - stay safe out there as weather is crazy in so many parts of North America.

Cheers
Doug & Roma
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had an oven in my first Escape, never ordered another oven, that is what we do outside, cook and in the winter,, the same around the campfire.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
And I on the other hand regret I didn't get an oven. I'm tired of hauling the toaster oven. It takes up too much space and requires electricity.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
This is a popular question and everyone has their own opinion.

For us I would not pay the extra for the auto awning as l like to be able to drop it down to clean the top, block the sun or let rain pour off. You can’t do any of that with the auto awning. Also every time you put it in or out you are using power needlessly.

The manual awning vertical supports may be in front of a window which would block the awning windows from opening. So as much as I like the look of the awning windows I would get the siding ones. However I would definitely pay the extra for the split awning style window on the rear. Great to have some ventilation when it rains.

We got the kitchen and bathroom window option as well, as the tinted glass makes for a dark trailer. We got the oak but would go with the white just to lighten things up a bit.

We use the 120v heater option in the hot water tank everywhere there is power and got the air conditioner as well. Possibly get the 2 step for the doorway outside.

That is the basic list we would be starting from.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:43 PM   #5

Hi - you have raised some very good points and yes we tend to agree with you on each point. We are thinking seriously of the white for a small space and the awning window at the back for better ventilation. Yeah, with the lift kit (something I think we should get) the double step would be good.

thanks for your response Eggscape - appreciate it
Old 01-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #6

Hi Harley . . . Yes for sure . . . the ovens are so small . . . I think my daughter's Easy Bake Oven was bigger than the ones in the RVs LOL . . . we are really considering not having an oven installed and maybe have a convection microwave installed.

Thanks for your comments - appreciate it
Old 01-19-2023, 08:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Welcome to the 5.0 club!

I'd recommend spending as much time as possible noodling around on the forum. There are many thoughtful discussions of the pros & cons of various options, which I found most helpful in putting together my build sheet. On most options, you'll find fans of each option (see discussion of oven vs no oven above), & it really comes down to your camping style & preferences in most cases.

One item I decided on was not getting an ETI installed air conditioner. Some on the forum think that a smaller A/C, like the Rec Pro Houghton 9500BTU, is a better fit. Their theory is that the ETI units are really too big for the volume inside a 5.0 (unless you're someplace like FL or TX), so they cool the air quickly & switch off before getting much of the humidity out of the air. Also, the short cycling can be annoying. But, there are different opinions on this, as with most things. If you do not get an A/C from ETI, your trailer will come pre-wired so that you or someone else can fairly easily install whatever unit you choose.

Very best of luck to you as you wade through the options. Enjoy the process!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
This fits instead the cabinet. It was on sale the other day at Target.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Welcome to the 5.0 club!

One item I decided on was not getting an ETI installed air conditioner. Some on the forum think that a smaller A/C, like the Rec Pro Houghton 9500BTU, is a better fit. Their theory is that the ETI units are really too big for the volume inside a 5.0 (unless you're someplace like FL or TX), so they cool the air quickly & switch off before getting much of the humidity out of the air. Also, the short cycling can be annoying. But, there are different opinions on this, as with most things. If you do not get an A/C from ETI, your trailer will come pre-wired so that you or someone else can fairly easily install whatever unit you choose.

Very best of luck to you as you wade through the options. Enjoy the process!
We live in Texas and have a 21
. We replaced the dometic wind tunnel with the recpro 9500. It’s very quiet and cools the 21 down very nicely. Pulled out the 21 in July in the 104 degree heat. Waited a couple hours n turned on the ac. The 9500 cooled it down to 78 degrees in about 10 mins. We changed out our ourselves. Easy to do. If you don’t get the ac and want to install the 9500, it would only take a couple hrs at best
Old 01-19-2023, 08:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
Hello Escapees

My wife and I have been retired now coming up on two years. Last fall we put a deposit on a 5.0 and told we should expect it in July of 2024 but that still gave us an opportunity to maybe get one from the lot sooner. Well, as I'm sure others in this situation have been bumped up to newer dates - so were we - twice actually. Now we are due to pick up our 5.0 in August this year - WOOHOO! Soon we will be putting in our build sheet. Question: if you had a chance to order another Escape 5.0 would you make any changes to your build options? ie Awning - auto or manual, dinette, bench or U-shape, oven or no oven, sliding windows or awning type windows, extra outside access, colour scheme inside - wood / fabric / flooring, solar or more solar, lift kit, double step etc.

Would love to hear from you based on your experience. For all of you traveling right now - stay safe out there as weather is crazy in so many parts of North America.

Cheers
Doug & Roma
I had an oven in my 2017 19 foot and now also in my new 21C. I use it a lot...my downfall is homemade pizza
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I had an oven in my 2017 19 foot and now also in my new 21C. I use it a lot...my downfall is homemade pizza
I really score when I camp near Dave&Kathie. Kathie can really bake yummy goods in hers!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I really score when I camp near Dave&Kathie. Kathie can really bake yummy goods in hers!
Kathie baked goods mornings convinced us to get the oven. Cinnamon is a powerful reason to get up in the morning!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes and next NOG rally I need to be beside them...
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Lots of good suggestions here. We got the combo micro / convection oven. We don’t use either much, but there are times we really want them. We do not have an inverter, so need shore power for that. We have a generator, but it gets used less than the oven just to charge batteries if it’s been both cloudy and cold for several days.

Manual awning is much more functional for us, but does make sliding windows more useful. I’ve thought about changing the DS dinette and the kitchen window to awning style since they seem to generate less condensate drip. We have the split rear awning window. I prefer the bath slider as I can pop the screen and use my waste water hose for a good black tank flush.

We too use the electric water heater anytime we have hookups.

A/C is the Coleman. On low it has almost the same noise level and cooling output as the Houghton. Low is all we ever need. By using low, you avoid much of the short cycling issue. We also have the heat strip. We use it anytime we have hookups into the mid teens F and it keeps us warm. The Coleman made the A/C one less thing I had to install.

We also had ETI install a slightly wider sink and like that change as well.

We have the double step and lift. I prefer the trailer higher, but that has pro’s and cons.

We like the warmth of wood, but a light bright interior, so we went maple with white formica.

Solar is a must to me, but if you always plug in you don’t need it.

Everyone has preferences. Only you can decide what’s right for you. I’m not sure if CPAHarley has it figured out yet.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 21
CPA Harley issue is we can’t convince him that’s one can refill his propane tanks when empty
Old 01-20-2023, 09:00 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
CPA Harley issue is we can’t convince him that’s one can refill his propane tanks when empty
That is correct, my first 4 Escapes all were sold before refilling the propane tanks in any of them.....
Old 01-20-2023, 10:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We bought our 21C used and there are two things it does not have that I wish it did now that we have owned it for 5 years. The outdoor shower and also at least prewired for solar even if you don't get the solar package ETI offers.

Enjoy the road and smooth travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have a 21NE and feel like I made mistakes on the following:
  1. I wanted a 3 burner cook top and a micro convection oven. Couldn't figure out how to get that so ended up with a range with 3 burners and oven. I had to go with a 5.5 cf refrigerator if I wanted a microwave above it. I wish I had settled for the whatever cooktop I could get with the micro convection below. Then I could have had a larger refrigerator too.
  2. I went with the manual awning which I think was a good decision but I already busted one frameless window because of it. I wish I had gotten the framed windows where the awning conflicts with it.
  3. I ordered exterior access under the passenger side dinette bench. I use this area for inside storage so the access hatch is not used.
  4. I ordered 2 exterior showers. I removed the driver side one to make room for an exterior access hatch to storage.
  5. I ordered the Coleman Mach 10 air conditioner which was a good decision but along with that came a simple thermostat for the furnace. I hated the thermostat because it was impossible to set the temperature. It had a little slider that slides one way or the other to change the temperature. I ended up running a 12 volt wire to the thermostat location and adding an expensive aftermarket thermostat to run the furnace. I operate the Coleman on Low Auto. I should have requested a better thermostat or at least wiring for it.
  6. I didn't order the toilet turnoff valve because I didn't want another potential leak in the electric locker. I think about this a lot (worry) and wish I had a way to turn the water off to the toilet in case the toilet valve goes bad. I would prefer the valve be in the bathroom.
  7. I didn't order the exterior propane quick disconnect thinking I could add one when I knew more about where I wanted it. I ended up installing it where Escape installs it. It cost more and was hard for me to work under the trailer.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I have a 21NE and feel like I made mistakes on the following:
  1. [ but along with that came a simple thermostat for the furnace. I hated the thermostat because it was impossible to set the temperature. It had a little slider that slides one way or the other to change the temperature. I ended up running a 12 volt wire to the thermostat location and adding an expensive aftermarket thermostat to run the furnace. I operate the Coleman on Low Auto. I should have requested a better thermostat or at least wiring for it.
I'm a little confused about which thermostat you had. Was it this horrible one or a different one because of the Coleman?

I've replaced two of these horrible ones but I didn't have to add any wires.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0012_resize.jpg   27-09-2019 2-20-14 PM_0004_resize.jpg   08-12-2014 4-11-52 PM3_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little confused about which thermostat you had. Was it this horrible one or a different one because of the Coleman?

I think it was this one. I had no hesitation about throwing it in the garbage. I actually enjoyed throwing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic 2-wire thermostat.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote