Hello from central Indiana - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Researching to buy new 5.0 OTA
Hello from central Indiana

I am researching Escape travel trailers, 17 or 19 foot, and have never owned an RV trailer. Yes, I am a newbie. My wife and I will soon be empty-nesters so we are looking into egg fiberglass trailers, either Casita or Escape. Leaning strongly toward Escape trailers, but want to hear from real owners on this forum. One of my first questions is 17 or 19-footers, pros and cons. Next question, which add-ons should we skip (AC on top?) Open to any advice, especially lessons learned the hard way. Retired US military. Due to privacy concerns (Facebook and Google selling data) I am cautious when registering on forums. My first name is Ben. Thanks everyone for your advice!
Iamcumberbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Start by using the Search function. Enter search terms in the bottom Google Site Search box.
Then, order the 19'. You can have guests for dinner or cards in inclement weather and you can pass one another in the aisle. More storage. All for a little more money.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 1.55.49 PM.png  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Start by using the Search function. Enter search terms in the bottom Google Site Search box.
Then, order the 19'. You can have guests for dinner or cards in inclement weather and you can pass one another in the aisle. More storage. All for a little more money.
Thanks! I thought I would toss some of my Qs into my intro. Will definitely start using the Search box tonight while watching NCIS. Cheers!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcumberbatch View Post
I am researching Escape travel trailers, 17 or 19 foot, and have never owned an RV trailer. Yes, I am a newbie. My wife and I will soon be empty-nesters so we are looking into egg fiberglass trailers, either Casita or Escape. Leaning strongly toward Escape trailers, but want to hear from real owners on this forum. One of my first questions is 17 or 19-footers, pros and cons. Next question, which add-ons should we skip (AC on top?) Open to any advice, especially lessons learned the hard way. Retired US military. Due to privacy concerns (Facebook and Google selling data) I am cautious when registering on forums. My first name is Ben. Thanks everyone for your advice!
Hello Ben,
Enjoy your search for a fiberglass egg. I have owned a 2015, 17' Casita SD and will be picking up our 2018 21' Escape late this month. We live in South Bend and I believe you will get good feedback on this site. If you have trouble making up your mind and want to see several fiberglass campers in person, at the end of September there is a fiberglass camper rally "2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous" in Thompson IL. If you search this site you will find many references to this event along with more info.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi Ben. Welcome!!
There are huge differences between 17 and 19. Single axle versus dual axle, permanent queen bed versus dinette/bed area, inside space, etc.
You might want to pick up the phone and give ETI a call. ETI can get you in contact with Escape owners in your neck of the woods, who are willing to show your their trailer and answer any question you come up with. (Escape owners are very helpful people)
Good luck with your choice!!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
The 17 v 19 question has come up a lot. Sometime I find the archives hard to search. I usually click on posts rather than threads because if I don't get the title right, nothing comes up.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
The 17 v 19 question has come up a lot. Sometime I find the archives hard to search. I usually click on posts rather than threads because if I don't get the title right, nothing comes up.
Thanks for the tip about searching! I assume you went with the 19 footer. More room? More features? I appreciate hearing from current owners. I am very impressed with the quality of build and features of Escapes.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
Hello Ben,
Enjoy your search for a fiberglass egg. I have owned a 2015, 17' Casita SD and will be picking up our 2018 21' Escape late this month. We live in South Bend and I believe you will get good feedback on this site. If you have trouble making up your mind and want to see several fiberglass campers in person, at the end of September there is a fiberglass camper rally "2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous" in Thompson IL. If you search this site you will find many references to this event along with more info.
Thanks for the tip about the rally in IL. I want to go talk with Escape owners and hear their advice. I am impressed with what I've seen about Escapes, how much quality goes into their builds.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Hi Ben. Welcome!!
There are huge differences between 17 and 19. Single axle versus dual axle, permanent queen bed versus dinette/bed area, inside space, etc.
You might want to pick up the phone and give ETI a call. ETI can get you in contact with Escape owners in your neck of the woods, who are willing to show your their trailer and answer any question you come up with. (Escape owners are very helpful people)
Good luck with your choice!!
Thanks, Marry,
I need to get on the website and request a connection to local Escape owners. I know there are probably ones near me in central Indiana. I am just starting this process. I am very encouraged by what I've seen on YouTube and websites about Escape trailers. I just wish the factory and showroom was closer to Muncie, Indiana! Thanks for your feedback!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the tip about searching! I assume you went with the 19 footer. More room? More features? I appreciate hearing from current owners. I am very impressed with the quality of build and features of Escapes.
We never considered the 17 because we wanted the queen bed. When we started the search we were coming from a 31' Airstream and we wanted the smallest trailer we could find that had a queen bed. We've been really happy with the Escape. And I think the 17 would have been too small for us, particularly since, to my surprise, I find that I cook a fair number of meals in it -- in our previous camping all the cooking had been done outdoors. We use every inch of storage. I don't know if the dinette is larger than the 17, but we use every inch of that space also for storage and for projects.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

Ruthe,
This is really useful info. I appreciate hearing from someone who has considered different Escape sizes. Your information is useful and helps a lot!
Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #12

Good cooking feedback

We will probably do a lot of our own cooking, too. I am leaning towards the 21 footer for space and cooking area.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
We will probably do a lot of our own cooking, too. I am leaning towards the 21 footer for space and cooking area.
17, 19, and now 21... Expending the search? One more to go, the 5.0TA....
Hopefully you will get a chance to see them all in person! The 21 layout is totally different from the 19. It all depends which one is to your liking.
Fibreglass trailers, when well taken care off, can last a long time. Imaging you two yourselves ten years from now, and think about how you see yourself camping down the road. This might help you to chose the right trailer!
We went with the 19 for its layout. We are more the outdoor people, and prefer to do most cooking outside. Like the queen bed in the back, instead of the double in the front. Like to have windows all around. Didn't care for a bigger counter. Bathroom might be a little smaller, but has all we need.
With all the options ETI offers, you can "design" a trailer to YOUR liking and needs.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your tow vehicle can play into which trailer you want vs which one you can tow. What is you planned tug for your new Escape?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We were certain we wanted the 19, until we saw a 21, so keep an open mind, and lie on the beds to check for size and access to the bathroom.
The bathroom/shower is the largest of all the choices, by a bit.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I've had a (SOB) 10 footer, then we upgraded to a 16 footer, and was nearly sold on upgrading to the Escape 17. However, we got the chance to go inside an Escape 17 and that changed our thinking. We ordered the 19. Absolutely no regrets. I'm 6'7" so the permanent, large bed and increased aisle space sealed it for me. Find someone who has one you can enter, compare how you feel about being inside them, and you'll know immediately what works best.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Quote:
Thanks, Marry,
I need to get on the website and request a connection to local Escape owners. I know there are probably ones near me in central Indiana. I am just starting this process. I am very encouraged by what I've seen on YouTube and websites about Escape trailers. I just wish the factory and showroom was closer to Muncie, Indiana! Thanks for your feedback!
We camped for 13 years in a 17' Casita and then upgraded to the 5.0TA and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We are in Richmond, IN if you would like to see it.
gbjepson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 2006 17' Casita SD sold 2018
We have a 2006 Casita SD 17' while it's a great trailer the more we used it there were somethings I was not happy with. After 50 plus nights camping in it we decided to go larger. We have on order a 5.0 TA due to hatch soon. I suggest you see both trailers in person to get a feel for the one that's right for you. Happy Camping!
P.S. I know there's going to be a Casita for sale when we return from Chilliwack!
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I downsized from a class A motor home and love my 19.
As far as options unless u live up north in Canada get the AC and other options u want and with an eye to those that r hard to add afterwards and also for resale.
Nothing can replace kids leaving home, but an Escape helps!
Good luck and enjoy.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
, order the 19'. You can have guests for dinner or cards in inclement weather and you can pass one another in the aisle. More storage. All for a little more money.
Yes but more weight, more maintenance, (brakes, tires, bearings) bigger TV, more gas, more money and since it is a bigger unit more time spent washing and waxing.