Hello from Edmonton, Alberta - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Under 20' FGT- Wanted
Hello from Edmonton, Alberta

Hi I'm Jill,

Since before retiring, moving to Alberta...and now with two years of Covid homelife I have been trying to get into the small fibreglass trailer scene so I can take myself and my grandaughters' camping. As my partner is not interested in RVing at all, this will be something I will be doing myself so I'm feeling apprehensive.... but the thought of exploring back roads as I was brought up to do thrills me. It feels a little daunting doing it without support so I continue to research fibreglass websites for info before purchasing a suitable trailer. I own a Mazda B4000 4 x 4 and am a very capable DIYer but need to take the next step to fulfil my camping dream.
jillmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Welcome to the forum.

My Mazda 4000 2WD towed my 19 far and wide on a lot of secondary and forest service roads as well as Baja several times. So you won't have any trouble towing a 17 and exploring the lessor traveled roads.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Jill,
To our little fiberglass world. Hopefully we can help and steer you to meet your needs.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Jill. You've got this! I'm single and solo and staring at 70 years of age right in front of me. I figured I had two choices. Do it or stay home on the couch. Staying home isn't much of a choice! I've made my share of mistakes, but no one has died, nothing has been seriously damaged. And, I've made a TON of great memories.

Best of luck to you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 on order- ETA 06/2024
Hi Jill!

I recently ordered a 5.0 and plan on solo travel as well. I figure I have a lot of time between now and the time my trailer is ready to educate myself and prepare. I plan on spending time practicing hitching and unhitching and backing up a huge 5th wheel a friend has so that I am not totally clueless when the time comes. I also plan on getting basic instruction from them as well.
You will have fun and your grandkids will have wonderful memories of time with you and that alone will be worth the investment. Keep us updated on what you choose, and congratulations on choosing to get out there!

Lisa
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmack View Post
Hi I'm Jill,

Since before retiring, moving to Alberta...and now with two years of Covid homelife I have been trying to get into the small fibreglass trailer scene so I can take myself and my grandaughters' camping. As my partner is not interested in RVing at all, this will be something I will be doing myself so I'm feeling apprehensive.... but the thought of exploring back roads as I was brought up to do thrills me. It feels a little daunting doing it without support so I continue to research fibreglass websites for info before purchasing a suitable trailer. I own a Mazda B4000 4 x 4 and am a very capable DIYer but need to take the next step to fulfil my camping dream.
Welcome! I’m single and solo bought my 17 foot Casita in 2010, 19 foot Escape in 2017 and just picked up my 21C in Dec. Before the 17 I had never towed anything in my life before.Like Donna D. I’m looking at the big 70 in May and I’m not letting a little thing like that slow me down. I’m retired and travel 5 to 6 months out of the year. Just do your research ask a ton of questions, this is a good place very helpful people. Practice, practice and more practice backing up, some days will go better then others. Don’t ask me how I know this
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote