Hello from Florida! U shaped dinette or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: escape 19
Hello from Florida! U shaped dinette or not?

Just ordered our 19 and will be picking it up in June. It will be just 2 of us and a dog, and we can't decide on whether we should opt for the u shaped dinette or not. Any advice??
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

It is a perfect size for two people to lounge and looks great. Personally I don’t like the white wall without it. If your handy you do your own...check out post 132 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-12918-14.html

Also if you want to put large bins under the bed you may not want the doors mounted under the bed so you can make drawers. Check out posts 14 and 52 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...e-12918-6.html

I say the following to as many 19 purchasers as possible...if you like looking out the windows while seated there...order the raised floor. I am 5 10 and my chin was level with the bottom of the window without the raised floor. Good I guess if you are not wearing anything.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

Trailer: escape 19
Thanks for your input. We are still weighing a lot of things. This forum is great for new people like us! Another question: I read somewhere about someone who bought their own microwave and put it in.... but I can't find the thread again. I think it included the model that had been purchased from Walmart.
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I personally consider a 19 too tight for a U dinette. I’d only consider it in a 21. Or maybe a 5.0. And only if you don’t mind losing some of your table’s limited surface area as well. We are all different though, so YMMV.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I personally consider a 19 too tight for a U dinette. I’d only consider it in a 21. Or maybe a 5.0. And only if you don’t mind losing some of your table’s limited surface area as well. We are all different though, so YMMV.
I have the U shape in my 19, and I have to agree with you. It's a bit too tight to take advantage of the U. But, it does look better than the blank wall, and it does afford a bit more underseat storage.

The one thing I would definitely do there with a 19, U shape or not, is to have Escape raise the benches as much as they are willing to do. Ours were raised 4 inches, but I understand they now go only 3. Raising the benches makes for a much better view out the windows, and makes the bench storage that much deeper.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcn View Post
I read somewhere about someone who bought their own microwave and put it in.... but I can't find the thread again. I think it included the model that had been purchased from Walmart.
I was one of the people that did this...post # 30 here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...e-12918-3.html

Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I was one of the people that did this...post # 30 here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...e-12918-3.html
Thank You for sharing all your mods on the 19, it helped solidified my decision to get the 19 later this year or early 2020
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
Thank You for sharing all your mods on the 19, it helped solidified my decision to get the 19 later this year or early 2020
That’s great!
I am always afraid posting all the modifications to a 19 that some would think it is not great from the factory...of course which it is. I just like adding our own touch. Still many more mods to post and do.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
That’s great!
I am always afraid posting all the modifications to a 19 that some would think it is not great from the factory...of course which it is. I just like adding our own touch. Still many more mods to post and do.
I'm driving to Chilliwack this summer, would love to see your 19 before visiting ETI
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #10

Not a problem...anybody is welcome to stop by and see it. I sent you a private message which you should find at the top right of the page.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #11

We just got a new Escape 19. We got the regular table because we wanted MORE TABLE to spread out on. The regular table has a nice feature where it slides back and forth to make it easier to get in and out of the bench seats. If you don't expect to seat more than 4 people, the U shaped table just gives you less table and no advantages.
Langley Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like my buddy's 19 with large table and seats for four. It's where we gather to dine and to play cards in inclement weather.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We have a 21, and our decision came down to what we chose to use the space for...

A) regular table- a workspace with a larger table and dining space for various sit down activities where you need a surface, might be better for someone that works occasionally or does hobbies that require table space, or if you dine inside a lot
B) u-shape- offers a smaller work and dining area, but also serves as a lounge area.

It depends on your needs. Most campgrounds have a picnic table and we like being outside, so we rarely use the inside table for dining, but it works for breakfast, coffee and if it's raining. In the evenings, we play board games on it or put our feet up on the cushions and read. There is no couch in the trailer, so this is our comfy 'lounge' area, but it still functions as a food prep area or dining space when needed.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Barb View Post
If you don't expect to seat more than 4 people, the U shaped table just gives you less table and no advantages.
Advantages:
  • more hidden storage space
  • more storage space for the passenger outside access compartment
  • no table base to cramp your foot area
  • lounge area to put your feet up in comfort
We use the same portable table, that we use outside under the outside shower to wash dishes, for a table in the Escape the few times we need a table.

There are reasons many here have chosen a u-shape dinette, just as there are reasons many here have chosen not to have a u-shape dinette.

Enjoy,

Perry