Hello from Lake Tahoe! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Hello from Lake Tahoe!

Hi Team Escape,

Greetings (cough) from smoky South Lake Tahoe...hope everyone is safe and sane out there in this crazy year! I am RV-less for the first time in many years. I just sold my big 30 foot Arctic Fox trailer. It was bought when my wife and I were full-timing, but now we've settled back down in Tahoe and for the type of RV'ing I now do, it was just too much trailer. I've been wanting to downsize for a while now, and then the covid RV frenzy hit, so I decided to sell while prices are really high...can't believe what I got for it! Anyways, long story short, I'm on the hunt and I keep coming back to the Escape trailers as the best option for what I want. I was pretty keen on the 5.0, but concerned about the limited outdoor storage, after losing the truck bed to the 5th wheel hitch. Now, I am eagerly awaiting more details on the 23, as I think it'll be just what I want...we will see!

Can't wait to peruse all these forums and learn more from you all...

Cheers,
Joe
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Hi, Joe. (Waves from halfway down the hill with my 17A)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Yes, people keep coming back to Escape, some have owned 4.

We had a 2007 Escape 17B. Great trailer, just a little small and didn't like sleeping on dinette cushions. We sold the trailer and started looking at other makes. Nothing was as beautiful as our old Escape and nothing was as well built as our old, 12 year old Escape. After failure to find a used 19, we ordered new.

Our dream trailer was the 5.0TA but ultimately we couldn't give up the bed of the truck. My son likes sleeping in the bed under the Leer truck cap. Him and his brother don't sleep well together.

I think we will be one of those to own 3, maybe one day. I still want the 5.0TA, they fit in any double parking spot at the Walmart. The 23' will be too long.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Hi Team Escape,

I was pretty keen on the 5.0, but concerned about the limited outdoor storage, after losing the truck bed to the 5th wheel hitch. Now, I am eagerly awaiting more details on the 23, as I think it'll be just what I want...we will see!

Can't wait to peruse all these forums and learn more from you all...

Cheers,
Joe
Hi Joe, not sure what all you have planned for the truck bed, but lots of us seem to haul plenty in the bed. This picture is how ours is packed when we tow our 5.0TA. We have an F150 5.5' bed with the Andersen Ultimate rail mount hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Hi Joe, not sure what all you have planned for the truck bed, but lots of us seem to haul plenty in the bed. This picture is how ours is packed when we tow our 5.0TA. We have an F150 5.5' bed with the Andersen Ultimate rail mount hitch.
Hi Ronn, oh wow, that is surprising, I didn't realize how much you could fit in there! That would probably be enough for me, I just really want my generator, a couple bins like yours, a gas tank and a propane tank. Thanks for that pic, this may change things...I was just about to post a thread asking people how much they could fit.

Now I just need to look deeper into the height requirements, my RAM 2500 is a bit higher than my old F150...
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We like to stop along the way and sleep/nap before continuing. We have a tonneau cover which keeps items away from prying eyes, particularly at rest areas at night.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Ronn, how does your bed cover work with this setup (looks like you have a roll up one), do you have to unhook the trailer to close it fully? If part of the bed exposed while you travel?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Ronn, how does your bed cover work with this setup (looks like you have a roll up one), do you have to unhook the trailer to close it fully? Yes, you have to be unhooked to roll it fully closed.

If part of the bed exposed while you travel? We have it rolled up all the way when we travel, if we overnight / stop along the way we roll it back over the pin box (the front of truck bed is covered and the rear part of the truck box is under the 5.0' bed). We use a magnetic mount motion light that we put on the pin box if stop overnight (Walmart etc). When hooked up, your bed is directly above the truck bed, which hopefully would deter some thieves.
I have an idea for securing the top half way back when overnighting. Not to secure stuff, but it would create some commotion and slow down a thief.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I have an idea for securing the top half way back when overnighting. Not to secure stuff, but it would create some commotion and slow down a thief.
Thanks for the good ideas Ronn!