Hello from Missouri - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
KMG

Hello from Missouri

Hello to everyone. I'm communicating with Melisa at Escape about purchasing their showroom 5.0TA. My wife and I live in the Midwest but have our property for sale and will relocate to the PNW soon. We used to live near Vancouver, WA and are looking forward to living in Washington again. I purchased a new Toyota Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 TRD with a 6 1/2' bed to pull the trailer. Our plan is to put our possessions into storage and explore WA to find a small community to live in and enjoy our retirement. I will also travel to MD Anderson in Houston TX once monthly for a year and I think the trailer will work well. I'm planning on having a gooseneck hitch installed on my truck then use Andersen's ultimate hitch with the trailer. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Kevin
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Welcome!

First off, you are in good hands, the best, at MD Anderson. FWIW, a buddy of mine is going through the drill with those guys right now--the monthly visit business. They drive in from New Mexico (2 day drive) and stay in long term accommodations fairly close to the Medical Center. Since the Medical Center is close to downtown I'm not sure how practical it would be to use the fifth wheel as a base for those trips, if that's what you've got in mind. Maybe, I'm just not sure.

Also, FWIW, my mother-in-law was treated for cancer at M.D. Anderson 30 years ago, and she's still with us today (age 92, and with us more in body than mind, but that's a 'hole 'nother issue). So good luck, and once you get past this speed bump on life's road, enjoy the new life in the PNW.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Welcome, Kevin, and congrats on both your pending retirement as well as choice of an Escape. Also on your plans for WA state. There are some great communities in these parts. But don’t tell everyone else or it’ll disappear under the urban sprawl so common everywhere these days. Too late for Seattle.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Hi Kevin, welcome! I've known a number of people who underwent treatment and follow-up at MD Anderson and all had outstanding results and nothing but good things to say, wishing the same for you.

We are having a 5.0TA built and visited ETI's showroom a couple of months ago. We spent an entire day in the floor model, looking at every detail to plan our options. I took a bunch of photos - if you'd be interested in having them, since you are considering purchasing that trailer, PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send them to you or set up a Dropbox folder for them if you are a Dropbox user.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
KMG

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement about MD Anderson. We have friends that live just north of Houston (The Woodlands) and we will park there then stay at the Rotary House Hotel attached to the hospital. Wonderful place to stay! The trailer will be nice on the road exploring new routes. My best to your mother.
Thanks, Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Welcome!

First off, you are in good hands, the best, at MD Anderson. FWIW, a buddy of mine is going through the drill with those guys right now--the monthly visit business. They drive in from New Mexico (2 day drive) and stay in long term accommodations fairly close to the Medical Center. Since the Medical Center is close to downtown I'm not sure how practical it would be to use the fifth wheel as a base for those trips, if that's what you've got in mind. Maybe, I'm just not sure.

Also, FWIW, my mother-in-law was treated for cancer at M.D. Anderson 30 years ago, and she's still with us today (age 92, and with us more in body than mind, but that's a 'hole 'nother issue). So good luck, and once you get past this speed bump on life's road, enjoy the new life in the PNW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
Hello to everyone. I'm communicating with Melisa at Escape about purchasing their showroom 5.0TA. My wife and I live in the Midwest but have our property for sale and will relocate to the PNW soon. We used to live near Vancouver, WA and are looking forward to living in Washington again. I purchased a new Toyota Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 TRD with a 6 1/2' bed to pull the trailer. Our plan is to put our possessions into storage and explore WA to find a small community to live in and enjoy our retirement. I will also travel to MD Anderson in Houston TX once monthly for a year and I think the trailer will work well. I'm planning on having a gooseneck hitch installed on my truck then use Andersen's ultimate hitch with the trailer. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
KMG

Thanks for the welcome.
I've been retired for 3 years and my wife can retire in May.
We're excited to return to WA. Our oldest son just moved to Seattle after he graduated from college. Our youngest is a senior at the University of Washington in Seattle. Living closer to them will be awesome. Not looking to live in Seattle. Somewhere around 200-250 miles away would be perfect.
Take care, Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Welcome, Kevin, and congrats on both your pending retirement as well as choice of an Escape. Also on your plans for WA state. There are some great communities in these parts. But don’t tell everyone else or it’ll disappear under the urban sprawl so common everywhere these days. Too late for Seattle.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
KMG

Thank you for the hello and well wishes. I'd love to see any pictures of their trailer! I sent an email. Not sure what a Dropbox is? New version of a photo bucket?
Thanks again, Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Hi Kevin, welcome! I've known a number of people who underwent treatment and follow-up at MD Anderson and all had outstanding results and nothing but good things to say, wishing the same for you.

We are having a 5.0TA built and visited ETI's showroom a couple of months ago. We spent an entire day in the floor model, looking at every detail to plan our options. I took a bunch of photos - if you'd be interested in having them, since you are considering purchasing that trailer, PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send them to you or set up a Dropbox folder for them if you are a Dropbox user.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
KMG

Hello again, We are going to relocate to Washington and are looking for a small community to call home. We're considering Leavenworth, Winthrop, Twisp, Cle Elum, and anywhere near Lake Diablo and Lake Ross area. Any one have any input on these or other areas within 200 miles from Seattle? Thanks in advance. Kevin
Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How about Chilliwack, BC?............
Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Casita
I PMed you about Omak. Leavenworth, Cle Elum and the Methow Valley have been discovered so will not be cheap, 'cept maybe some places in the Methow because they can't get affordable fire insurance after the last few years. The Methow also was smokier than the Okanogan thanks to a fire burning nearby.

Leavenworth has traffic jams. There was a 3 hour backup a couple weeks ago because of the Christmas light thing. Have read complaints of residents about the traffic and lack of parking. Cle Elum? I haven't been there for eons but it is close to Seattle so might be a bit spendy.

You'll want to look at wildfire survivability if you get out of any of those communities. Omak was listed as the tenth most likely to burn up place in the state. I think Leavenworth was number one, but I disagree with their findings as most of it around Omak is flashy, quick burning stuff and we have a lot of irrigated land around.

All of those places get snow. The Methow Valley is known for being a very cold place in the winter. We used to call it, The Siberia of Washington. In 1948, the last recorded temperature at the Winthrop Fish Hatchery was -40 and then the thermometer broke.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
KMG

Thanks for the information and advice. I had been taking temp and snow into account but wasn't considering fire.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Outside of the Olympic peninsula and areas west of the Cascades, I'm not sure there is a way to avoid the fire situation. And then there is the BIG ONE (earthquake) to worry about in western WA. Heck, I say find a place you like and can afford and go there, life is risky but the alternative is worse! We're in central Idaho and nearly lost our home to a wildfire in 2007. We knew the risk when we bought the property and did what we could to minimize it. We love our rural property and everything it offers, and dealing with fire risk is just part of it. The unthinkable did happen to us, but our home survived, and 11 years later it's all good. The beauty of fire is stuff grows back, even after a bad one. And we did beef up our insurance policy. Hope for the best and plan for the worst!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote