Hello from Paul in Monterey - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm no economist, but I don't recall inflation as part of the calculations. As a pensioner, I am acutely aware that inflation is eating at my savings. And, I'm aware that the cost of most everything is rising.
I offer this observation in case you need to rationalize your decision.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Prices are not typically falling either (however Escape did drop prices this year). Prices could be substantially higher in a couple of years.

I would say to go for it if you can make the finances work.

Dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My philosophy is to live with NO regrets. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. I'm finding that out the older I live as I lose friends that are "waiting at the station," every day of their lives. If you wait for all the dominoes to fall in place, you'll lose time. Everyone gets 24 hours a day, no one gets more, no one gets less. It's how you chose to spend that time is what's important.

I hope the decision(s) you make today give you no regrets tomorrow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Donna, that's a good philosophy. We never know what might happen tomorrow.

I am reminded of having come across Peggy Kesler when camping a few weeks ago. She is the woman in the Cancer Treatment Centers of America ads. In her old ad, a doctor told her that she did not have an expiration tag on her foot (other doctors had apparently told her that she had a short time to live). The newer ads have her on horseback. We were at a campground near her home in South Dakota (Canton, south of Sioux Falls) and I met her at one of the campground buildings. There is an equestrian area and I can only guess that she was there with her horse. I believe she has now survived stage IV pancreatic cancer for over ten years. I think that's pretty unusual. She looked very well. It's nice to see someone survive that this long and be out camping!

Disclaimer: I have no connection to CTCA and have no idea if they are responsible for her well-being. There are always people who do much better than the norm.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My philosophy is to live with NO regrets. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. I'm finding that out the older I live as I lose friends that are "waiting at the station," every day of their lives. If you wait for all the dominoes to fall in place, you'll lose time. Everyone gets 24 hours a day, no one gets more, no one gets less. It's how you chose to spend that time is what's important.

I hope the decision(s) you make today give you no regrets tomorrow.
Hi: Donna D... My wake up call came in '06. Our first camping trip with our Boler and I couldn't keep up the pace on a moderate hiking trail.
My pacemaker has given me a new outlook on life. "TOMORROW IS PROMISED TO NO ONE"!!!
Fiberglass campers helped in my convalescents and continue to add pleasure to my life.
Thank you to these communities for giving so freely the info needed to keep going forward. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tomorrow has arrived here today. That is my philosophy, I save no more and my goal is to spend my entire monthly pension, every month.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 1986 Vixen TD 21
More good stuff here. Hmmm, having thought this over quite a bit I would say I could do this with almost no regrets. Perhaps the only concern would be if friends and family would think I am certifiable! I mean this current egg is my 4th in only a few years. I have fixed up all previous eggs and they are off to happy homes. I swore this current one and the 2nd U Haul i had were the absolute last, but that was before I ever even remotely considered a brand new one.

Donna I made that insane drive to Detroit and back nonstop to pick up current egg and think everyone over on fiberglassrv.com will think I have a fiberglass dependency issue!

But I completely agree with you, no regrets. With each egg I have learned new things about them and myself. this latest lesson is I have been "waiting at the station" a lot (for new parts to arrive or for a return trip to camping world because I got the wrong parts), which was not my intent. It was to get out there and enjoy this beautiful country of ours.

Since i'm no where near retirement and just don't have time to make this a hobby, I want to be rolling down the tracks and out of the "station!"

I was talking to a buddy last night about how many of our choices and purchases are usually based on emotion. When we say we use logic to come a conclusion, it's typically to convince ourselves that our emotional response (I gotta have that!) is founded. you ought to see the spreadsheet i prepared for this little exercise. I think my head is trying to be convinced of what my heart already is - that this is likely the best egg out there and that life is in fact too short.

I thank you all for inputting the helpful data that goes into this equation - it makes the decision a lot easier!
Paul C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Paul,
For me it was the statement "I have arrived, now" in making the decision to buy an Escape, sight unseen. I too am a member over on FGRV and joined them when I purchased a used Eggcamper, which was my 6th rv in 3 years. Seems each one had undesirables or needed some improvement. Although CW is not near, I had became on a first names basis with UPS delivery man. He too is an owner and wanted to know what each new package contained.
The point is, after improving/modifying each of these campers, I too yearned for the stage where "I'm done and now ready to camp" feeling. That is why when I did order the Escape, I had the factory do all the things I did in the past to each of my campers myself. I did do a couple of minor tweaks , but basically it was ready upon delivery. That feeling that I can leave at anytime with no projects being in progress, feels good. I'm enjoying it and now spend my free time looking at maps, campgrounds, and planning my next trip!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 1986 Vixen TD 21
Hello again ... its been a while, but we are no less interested in getting an Escape today than we were months ago! Just been a cold and wet winter here so not much camping action or geeking/modding for me, so the egg talk tends to lessen until it warms up.

I was wondering if there was a 'Sightings' thread here like over at FGRV.com ...? I did a search and got nothing. I know it might be a little bit ambitious since Escapes are newer and rarer - but I could swear I just saw an Escape today! In Monterey, literally at my exit off US1. I was heading home and saw a familiar, bright, shiny fiberglass object behind someone's TV heading north while I was heading south. They were coming from Carmel or Big Sur or Anyway, I realized it was more square than round and it looked brand new, so I ruled out any of the above. I had just enought time to see what looked like the "Escape" decal on the front, but it passed so quickly and was obscured by trees.

Anyway, it reminded me that's where we are heading but with a possibility of moving this year we may have to push the purchase to the second half of the year. Of course, if you have a 15B with a shower and live near Monterey, I might reconsider...

And if that was you passing through Monterey today - nice rig!
Paul C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #30

Hi: Paul C...Thank you for the prompting!!! I started a "Sightings" thread so we can add our Escape encounters to the Forum. Lots of owners don't belong so would miss the comments all together... Thanks again for the idea. Alf
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
In 1963 when I was about 10 years old my Dad decided it was too much trouble to set up the umbrella tent when driving from Cleveland to LA to visit his family. So he and my Mother, customized a '63 Ford Falcon mid-engine bus, with a 170 CID 6 cyl engine. 3 speed on the column. Off the 4 of us went on many adventures from Cleveland to California to Florida to Maine, to Montana, etc. When my brother was in the 4th grade his teacher called our parents because she though he was lying about all the places he had been when topics came up in geography lessons!
Those trips helped to form me, and my family has kept up the tradition with out own tents, vans, and pop-up. Next week we will order our Escape 19, 50 years after the little red bus pulled in the driveway,

Figure out a way, and get out there! I write this, as I sit in a chair receiving chemo therapy. The lymphoma is in remission, and I'm doing well, Praise the Lord! But life is too short to wait!
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
This is so touching. I am copying it and sending it to our five grown kids. --Liz
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Good story, SS. Good to hear of past escapades, and glad to hear you will be travelling in still from now on.

That chemo is nasty stuff, I went through 3 rounds of it almost 24 years ago now (wow, time flies) when I had leukemia. Not fun, but amongst the care and concern of medical staff, family and friends, I beat the crap out of it, and with your attitude, you surely should too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 17
SS, glad to hear you will be out RV'ing and getting that fresh air very soon, congrats.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
In 1963 when I was about 10 years old my Dad decided it was too much trouble to set up the umbrella tent when driving from Cleveland to LA to visit his family. So he and my Mother, customized a '63 Ford Falcon mid-engine bus, with a 170 CID 6 cyl engine. 3 speed on the column. Off the 4 of us went on many adventures from Cleveland to California to Florida to Maine, to Montana, etc. When my brother was in the 4th grade his teacher called our parents because she though he was lying about all the places he had been when topics came up in geography lessons!
Those trips helped to form me, and my family has kept up the tradition with out own tents, vans, and pop-up. Next week we will order our Escape 19, 50 years after the little red bus pulled in the driveway,

Figure out a way, and get out there! I write this, as I sit in a chair receiving chemo therapy. The lymphoma is in remission, and I'm doing well, Praise the Lord! But life is too short to wait!
Hi SS ,
Ordering yourself an Escape trailer is the perfect thing to do . When you are through with your treatment and are able to get out there all the crap from chemo will go away . There is so much beauty and so much to see , it will give you so much pleasure , make lots of plans ! Wish you great success .
I've been where you are . I did not have a very good prognosis - actually it was lousy - but they gave me a stem cell transplant . It was very successful , they just happened to find another little thing on the 5th anniversary for which I am now undergoing radiation . This is expected to have a positive outcome and I am looking forward to getting out there as soon as possible - can't wait for spring .
Wolf
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good story, SS. Good to hear of past escapades, and glad to hear you will be travelling in still from now on.

That chemo is nasty stuff, I went through 3 rounds of it almost 24 years ago now (wow, time flies) when I had leukemia. Not fun, but amongst the care and concern of medical staff, family and friends, I beat the crap out of it, and with your attitude, you surely should too.

Wow .... always nice to read about successful outcomes ! Cheers for you !
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Glenn, we are hoping the best for you and that you will have some great adventures in your Escape. Thanks for a wonderful story.

Wolf, hope you do well, too.

FirstJim, of course you beat it, Almighty Superior Fairy Member!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Wow .... always nice to read about successful outcomes ! Cheers for you !
Thanks, Wolf. Sounds like you did great, and all the best with the treatment you are getting now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
FirstJim, of course you beat it, Almighty Superior Fairy Member!
LMAO. Thanks, Cathy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. My health is really very good. And I am really excited about this new trailer!
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. My health is really very good. And I am really excited about this new trailer!
Hi: SeldomSeen... The one option not available on any Escape trailer is "Good Health". We certainly hope you take as much of it as you can when away escaping!!! You will love the 19'er... I hope you can make it up to Niagara Wine Escape Sept. 13-15th. More details to follow!!!
Regards Alf& Mary Anne
Attached Thumbnails
Escape row.jpg