Hello from Paul in Monterey - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Vixen TD 21
Hello from Paul in Monterey

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and the Escape trailer in general. I am the current owner of a vintage 1973 Play Pac 13' ... it is our 4th egg in 3 years (2 U Hauls and now 2 Play Pacs) and I must admit these things are highly addictive.

My research of the best-built eggs currently in production led me to the Escape. It appears to be a rock-solid unit from concept to creation and customer service as well. I am most interested in minimalism (despite this being quite a decadent trailer), and appreciate a high density of multi-use features packed into the smallest space. Thats probably why I like the 15B the most - for off the grid camping it has just about every imaginable feature in the smallest floor plan, looks to have a ton of storage space, fully-loaded is well under my 5,000 lb tow cap, and to boot - it stays just under the 16' mark here in California (permanent trailer tag / no annual registration). Its my wife, our 30 pound Aussie Cattle dog and perhaps a baby one day - but we want to stick with the 15 and not the 17, knowing these retain their value if we decided we wanted to go bigger - but not for at least a few years.

Just back from a weekend of beach camping down near Malibu and know we are hooked on the simplicity and functionality of egg camping. Its absolutely my favorite way to do Yosemite. I began to wonder if we should take the leap and buy our first ever brand spanking new egg? We don't own a home and our vehicles are paid off. I think investing in quality of life is often overlooked and while I love our vintage eggs - I love "using" them more than updating, modifying, etc. I work more than full-time and just want get out there and enjoy life, nature, and loved ones with whatever free time that I have.

My question here is - especially for those of you with a 15B ... what are your favorite standard and optional features? Conversely, what are the optional features you went for but you find you don't actually use as much as you thought you might? Same goes for standard options as well.

Thank you all for any advice and insight. I spent a lot of time reading here before chiming in, but I recognize quite a few of you from fiberglassrv.com where I have been for a couple of years now. I like how laid back it is here and the good humor folks seem to share - I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.
-Paul (Toni-Lynn and Master Po)
Paul C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Paul, welcome aboard.

Sounds like you have put some good reasoning and thought into what you need. Sounds like the 15 will do you good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Paul,
Pick and choose your 15b as tho you're ordering a 'Fat Burger'. If you can afford it, just tell Tammy what you don't want for options. Fine tune along the way.
Have you got a couple pix of your current 'eggs'?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Welcome to the forum,"neighbor"! There are two Escapes, both 17B's in Santa Cruz. If you ever head this way, I'm happy to show it off.

Bob
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #5

thanks everyone ... i'm excited to be here and cant stop wondering if i could actually pull this off. i have created spread sheets as to why i SHOULD ... guess i'll have to see if my bank is as supportive of this as i am. that begs a question - if anyone has financed their Escape, can they offer some advice or hindsight?

Jim - thanks for your feedback, i've enjoyed reading your posts. I thought I PM'ed you with some specific questions about your modifications (are you the one with the HOB/SMEV stove?). my ipad does some strange things and perhaps i did not properly send it ...

J Mac - i think thats precisely the approach I would take. Reace and Tammy seem to go a long way to make sure everyone gets theirs just the way they want it and we will be certain to get it dialed in just right! i have posted some shots of my current egg on my profile - let me know if you would like more (though I know this forum is primarily geared toward Escapes and don't want to get too into the weeds - plenty more shots of my eggs back on fiberglassrv.com too BTW): http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...8-albums9.html

Bob - thanks a bunch for the offer! my wife likes to surf SC and i still haven't been to visit our new Marine Sanctuary visitors center we just opened - so i will be sure to look you up next time i head over. of course i'll make sure you get 'credit' for the tour!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Jim - thanks for your feedback, i've enjoyed reading your posts. I thought I PM'ed you with some specific questions about your modifications (are you the one with the HOB/SMEV stove?). my ipad does some strange things and perhaps i did not properly send it ...
I just checked Paul, and there is nothing in my PM folder from you, I have never deleted any yet, but feel free to try again. I do have the Dometic Hob/Stove combo. I just learned today that SMEV and Dometic are one now. HERE is a link to the one I have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Perfect Jim!
thats the exact one i am interested in. i have been looking at these for a couple of years and it seemed the only place to get them was in the UK. thanks a bunch for the link.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
guess i'll have to see if my bank is as supportive of this as i am. that begs a question - if anyone has financed their Escape, can they offer some advice or hindsight?
Welcome

This thread might help.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...cing-1427.html

I'd suggest making a post in that thread (or making a new one with a stronger title) to get more input on that topic.

Tammy might/may have a suggestion or two as well.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Hi Paul,
Tammy definitely has the knowledge on financing in the US and how best to get the money to Escape. My CU was great until I had to send the money. I unfortunately was working with a person who didn't know what to do and ended up spending more in exchange fees than needed. Lesson is to do what Tammy says!
As far as options -
Good choice for us was the extra insulation, double 6 volt batteries, kitchen window and bike ready rear bumper. The air conditioner was nice in Utah and Nevada but and we used it only in RV parks. Since we don't go to commercial RV parks often it wasn't used much. I'm glad we got the double propane tanks...not much worry about running out of gas.
Not a good choice was TV amplifier (not used much).
Have fun in your purchase. It's worth it!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
So I'm going to stick my foot in (maybe in my mouth) with an opinion that might be a little different...

If you have to finance your purchase, don't.

Don't spend money you don't have. Life isn't about what you own, but about what you experience. And you can experience just as much in a $5000 tent trailer, or $2000 used trailer, or $200 tent. In the end, attitude is more important than comfort.

By all means decide this is a priority for you, and start saving for it. But don't borrow money for it. Don't give the banks any more interest than you have to. Don't put your own well being at risk by putting yourself in a position which could be disastrous if you loose some income or interest rates go up, or whatever.

Call me old and grumpy if you like. I prefer to think of it as fiscally prudent...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On the other hand, plopping down $25,000 is a big hunk. I have always leveraged my big purchases with hypothecating my loans. I deposit the $25,000 in the credit union getting their best 5 year cd rate. I then borrow back the $25,000 over the same term. The differential rate of interest paid and charged should not exceed 2%. What happens is as you make your payments, your loan is decreasing but your deposit is increasing. After 4 years you should start receiving more interest on your deposit than what you pay on your loan. After 5 years you have a paid in full Escape and another $25,000 in the credit union plus interest earned over 5 years. In reality you are paying yourself instead of the bank for using your money.
In the event you incur financial issues, you can always close out cd and pay off the loan.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
Point well taken Doug
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Call me old and grumpy if you like. I prefer to think of it as fiscally prudent...
Hey grumpy, you do make a valid point.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think it all depends on your personal situation.
If you have no other debt, it may make sense to borrow and enjoy the trailer now, instead of saving up, buying the trailer, getting sick, selling the trailer and dying.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
cpaharley,

An interesting strategy... It presumes you have the $25K up front, which is not necessarily the case here, but let's run with it.

I ran some numbers in a spread sheet. I expect I've got a mistake here, but it looks like it still comes out slightly advantageous to not take the loan. I chose an interest rate paid on a deposit of 3%, and an interest rate charged on a loan at 5%.

$25K invested with a 3% return over 5 years nets about $29K, but you also have a $25K loan over 5 years at 5% interest which means a monthly payment of about $475.

If, instead of taking the loan and investing the $25K at 3% you instead made monthly contributions into your 3% savings account, you end up with a net of $30K after 5 years. Slightly to the advantage of simply paying cash and not getting fancy.

So where did I go astray with that thought stream? What's the advantage of taking a loan when you don't need to?

seeking wisdom,

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some people do not have the will power to save regularly yet interestingly enough these are the same people who because of that inability to save money, borrow from a bank and try to make regular monthly loan payments. In addition the fully collateralized loan will have the lowest interest rate, other than factory incentives.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some people do not have the will power to save regularly yet interestingly enough these are the same people who because of that inability to save money, borrow from a bank and try to make regular monthly loan payments. In addition the fully collateralized loan will have the lowest interest rate, other than factory incentives.
Hi: cpaharley2008... In our family I'm the spender, my wife's the saver. When faced with the buying decision in May 2008 and the fact I could get a near new '07 5.0/'02 truck combo for the price of the trailer only, was no contest!!! Having a great line of credit in place made it almost to easy. We have enjoyed the trailer for most every week of vacation since and when retired VOILA!!! it'll be all pay'd off.
My plan "A" was to order a new 5.0 when about to retire. Glad I went with plan "B". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Doing The Deed!!!.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I If you have no other debt, it may make sense to borrow and enjoy the trailer now, instead of saving up, buying the trailer, getting sick, selling the trailer and dying.
Another good point of view.

Everybody's situation is different, for certain. I have always shied away from borrowing, unless it was for investment reasons. Other than real estate, I never financed anything until 10 years ago, when for my business bought a new truck (at zero interest though). I have since partially financed another vehicle, but other than that have carried no debt. Just a personal choice so I can see clearer through to my eventual retirement.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #19

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Doug, 3% seems a little high for a savings or CD rate.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #20

wow. thank you all for many salient points to ponder!

i normally do not like debt of any kind and tend to save then pay for everything in cash and be done with it (hence my lack of obligations). to be fair though, the previous eggs were all under 5K - a substantial difference in cost. however, i have usually recovered most of what i put into them and would ostensibly sell my current egg. i also have some cash saved already and by the earliest, i wouldn't be able to pick up a new 15' until March - so i anticipate being able to squirrel away an additional small amount of cash by then too.

my scenario would be to come in with close to half and perhaps then finance the remainder. kind of a little bit of all scenarios. i will of course discuss further with Tammy as i am sure she has dealt with this before and can shed some light. whatever we decide on i will be sure to let you all know and subsequently, how that pans out.

thanks again for all of your advice - this is a really nice community and already a valuable resource!