Hello from San Diego - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Thanks Dave and others who've chimed in. That is great to hear and was one of my concerns. I had a 99 4Runner (also rated at 5000 lb tow capacity) which did fine with our 1700 lb tent trailer, but strained a bit on steep hills in the Sierras. It's now retired and the 2021 4Runner seems to have much more power, even though still only rated at 5000 lbs. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised at its abilities to tow the Escape up steep grades. Of course my other reason for leaning towards the 17A with no bathroom is for extra living /storage space. With our current tent trailer setup, we use a porta-potti in a small tent designed for that purpose. I've included a photo below (the porta-potti is in the green tent in the foreground). This setup has worked well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1323_LowRes.jpg  
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some expect their vehicle to tow the trailer up steep hills without any engine noise.

I try not to run at red line, but tolerate engine noise well. I don't recall RPMs for sure, but from the snowshed to the summit on Coquihalla is 8% grade and I can maintain 55-60 mph, towing my loaded 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
redline.jpg  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Thanks Dave and others who've chimed in. That is great to hear and was one of my concerns. I had a 99 4Runner (also rated at 5000 lb tow capacity) which did fine with our 1700 lb tent trailer, but strained a bit on steep hills in the Sierras. It's now retired and the 2021 4Runner seems to have much more power, even though still only rated at 5000 lbs. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised at its abilities to tow the Escape up steep grades. Of course my other reason for leaning towards the 17A with no bathroom is for extra living /storage space. With our current tent trailer setup, we use a porta-potti in a small tent designed for that purpose. I've included a photo below (the porta-potti is in the green tent in the foreground). This setup has worked well for us.
The 17A has very nice living space inside. The portable "loo" just isn't that big of a deal if you are already fine with your setup. There always seems to be a bit of shock and horror among those who couldn't contemplate it! Aesthetically I like the way our 17A is inside without a bathroom in the middle of it. Love having a full size dining booth and the full size real-mattress bed while staying light. Having said all that, we are awaiting a larger Escape next year with the main reason being that we acquired three cats and I would love to try camping with two of them. (The third cat is too boisterous to be confined like that).
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:28 PM   #24

Where you putting the litter box?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I had a 99 4Runner (also rated at 5000 lb tow capacity) which did fine with our 1700 lb tent trailer, but strained a bit on steep hills in the Sierras. It's now retired and the 2021 4Runner seems to have much more power, even though still only rated at 5000 lbs. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised at its abilities to tow the Escape up steep grades.
Max mfr towing capacity spec aside for a moment the 2021 4Runner will tow much better than the 1999. It will comfortably tow a loaded 17 but you should still expect the 4.0L V6 to be working hard on steep grades. Just not as hard as the 3.4L in your '99. We tow a 19 with 2005 and 2007 4Runner's (with the 4.0L V6 - not the optional V8) and it has been great (with a full admission that we don't have the quantity of long, steep grades you have out west)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Where you putting the litter box?
Heck, I’m nowhere near to figuring that out yet. Still gathering ideas from those who camp with cats.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some expect their vehicle to tow the trailer up steep hills without any engine noise.

I try not to run at red line, but tolerate engine noise well. I don't recall RPMs for sure, but from the snowshed to the summit on Coquihalla is 8% grade and I can maintain 55-60 mph, towing my loaded 17B.
We climb the same hill with a 2012 19 towed by our 2016 4 Runner.
We maintain 60 mph in 3rd gear at 3600 RPM.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
We climb the same hill with a 2012 19 towed by our 2016 4 Runner.
We maintain 60 mph in 3rd gear at 3600 RPM.

I should add that that was with my 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport. I've yet to make the same trip in my 2020 Highlander XLE.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We know where all cats go...
Attached Thumbnails
BenCat.jpg  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We know where all cats go...
Ehhh we all know that cats rule n dogs drool.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Casita & 2017 Escape 21C
Hello from Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Hi all. My wife and I just placed a deposit on a 17A. Now for the long anxious wait (1 to 2 years). In the meantime, I'll be working my way through the many threads so I'll know exactly what features we will need when the time comes to finalize the order. Having been tent campers for many years, we upgraded to a tent trailer about 10 years ago and love the open feeling of our Coleman Cobalt tent trailer. Because we camp in the desert a lot, the wind is often a problem, so hoping the Escape will be a good work around, not to mention the ease of setting up and breaking down the campsite. We're also looking forward to a refrigerator and not always needing to make ice runs when boondocking. We've chosen the 17A to keep weight down and have a bit more living area, as I will be towing with a 2021 Toyota 4Runner. Still researching ways to stow a Porta-Potti, which suits us well with the tent trailer. We are also looking forward to an ambassador tour in less than two weeks.

This seems like a great community. Thanks for all the helpful tips from the folks that have taken time to post and share their experiences.

Ian
Congratulations on your new upcoming trailer. We were backpackers, tent campers, pop up tent campers and now we are soon to be Escape trailer campers. We have been blessed with a 21C and will pick it up on Thursday. Griz&Mi
Griz&Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
As the trailer gets smaller, space is at a premium (OK, its at a premium regardless, but as the trailer gets smaller, much more so). To get a bathroom means you have to give something else up. I have both a 1977 Trillium 1300 (no bathroom) and our newer Escape 19. The 17A gives you a large bed at one end, and a large dinette at the other.

Bathrooms are a personal decision. My friends with a motor coach consider TWO bathrooms the minimum.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi all. My wife and I just placed a deposit on a 17A. Now for the long anxious wait (1 to 2 years). In the meantime, I'll be working my way through the many threads so I'll know exactly what features we will need when the time comes to finalize the order. Having been tent campers for many years, we upgraded to a tent trailer about 10 years ago and love the open feeling of our Coleman Cobalt tent trailer. Because we camp in the desert a lot, the wind is often a problem, so hoping the Escape will be a good work around, not to mention the ease of setting up and breaking down the campsite. We're also looking forward to a refrigerator and not always needing to make ice runs when boondocking. We've chosen the 17A to keep weight down and have a bit more living area, as I will be towing with a 2021 Toyota 4Runner. Still researching ways to stow a Porta-Potti, which suits us well with the tent trailer. We are also looking forward to an ambassador tour in less than two weeks.

This seems like a great community. Thanks for all the helpful tips from the folks that have taken time to post and share their experiences.

Ian
The 17A has a dedicated “Porta potty” cupboard right by the door. So it’s hidden away and there’s no threshold in that one compartment so the loo can slide in and out easily. It isn’t very tall though so that limits the choices that can fit. I think it’s only 15 or 16” tall.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I had a porta potty in my last two trailers. Never never go back to that if you can avoid it.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I had a porta potty in my last two trailers. Never never go back to that if you can avoid it.
LOL it’s definitely not for the faint of heart or for old delicate knees. However if someone is up for the challenge, far be it from anyone to dissuade them. We usually camp where there are flushing bathrooms and often hot showers too (Oregon State Parks). Porta Potty simply solves the problem of midnight needs.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
You're standing in it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
LOL it’s definitely not for the faint of heart or for old delicate knees. However if someone is up for the challenge, far be it from anyone to dissuade them. We usually camp where there are flushing bathrooms and often hot showers too (Oregon State Parks). Porta Potty simply solves the problem of midnight needs.
Hi: Small but Sweet... I get "Flushed" really easy specially carrying a porta potti to the dump stn. It's easier to tow the trailer past but only if the dump pipe's not plugged. Kind 'o tough on your sandals. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #37

Hi Griz&Mi. Congrats on your new Escape Trailer! It sounds like we have followed parallel paths in our camping styles.

It sounds like the bathroom vs no bathroom decision is a big one to make with many varied opinions. We are staying with a smaller trailer though for a number of reasons: Limited parking space at home, greater campsite accessibility, no need for a larger tow vehicle. As much as I would like more space (who doesn't?) we've managed to keep our camping necessities fairly minimal. We still like to boondock and have found our current tent trailer (without a bathroom) ideal with one exception; it does not tolerate wind well.

I certainly appreciate everyone who has weighed in on this. I have yet to step inside an Escape trailer, but will be doing so this weekend to get a better feel for size and layout. We do have friends that own a Casita 17 without a bathroom and they love it.

I'm curious about the "porta-potti cupboard" by the door mentioned by Small but Sweet? I'm not seeing that on the floorpan unless it is under the bed. (see attachment)

And lastly, I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful opinions. This forum has been great and I feel like there are a lot of kindred souls here.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 9.29.42 AM.jpg  
Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Hi Griz&Mi. Congrats on your new Escape Trailer! It sounds like we have followed parallel paths in our camping styles.

It sounds like the bathroom vs no bathroom decision is a big one to make with many varied opinions. We are staying with a smaller trailer though for a number of reasons: Limited parking space at home, greater campsite accessibility, no need for a larger tow vehicle. As much as I would like more space (who doesn't?) we've managed to keep our camping necessities fairly minimal. We still like to boondock and have found our current tent trailer (without a bathroom) ideal with one exception; it does not tolerate wind well.

I certainly appreciate everyone who has weighed in on this. I have yet to step inside an Escape trailer, but will be doing so this weekend to get a better feel for size and layout. We do have friends that own a Casita 17 without a bathroom and they love it.

I'm curious about the "porta-potti cupboard" by the door mentioned by Small but Sweet? I'm not seeing that on the floorpan unless it is under the bed. (see attachment)

And lastly, I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful opinions. This forum has been great and I feel like there are a lot of kindred souls here.

Ian
Correct - it's under the bed, immediately to your right as you step in through the door.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Small but Sweet... I get "Flushed" really easy specially carrying a porta potti to the dump stn. It's easier to tow the trailer past but only if the dump pipe's not plugged. Kind 'o tough on your sandals. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Haha I wanted to incorporate some potty puns but didn't want to sound too "pissed off"!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #40

Any chance you could measure the cabinet dimensions on your 17A? Our current Porta-Potti is 16.3" high, so may be tight. It's a Thetford 365. What brand and model fits in yours?

Thanks, Ian