Hello From Shell Beach, CA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19' Escape
Hello From Shell Beach, CA

Hi, I am Karen. While not new to this forum this is my first post. A belated Thank you to all of you on this forum for sharing your expertise,experiences and problem solving. You helped me decide that a new Escape was for me for it's quality,value and customer service. I sold my cute 17' Casita in April . Ordered a 19' Escape last November. Headed to Chilliwack on 8/24 to pick her up on 9/4. Coming from California with my packed 2012 Toyota 4Runner. Very excited and a bit giddy. I have run into a snag tho and hope someone can guide me. Trying to get a travel permit from my CA DMV to cover a month of travel has been trying to say the least. I have insurance and "preregistered" the Escape by showing them docs and of course $$. They said they need to SEE trailer before giving full registration for operation. They mistakenly gave me a permit that expired 8/30. Went back and now they gave me a vehicle moving permit for one day.?? Question: Might I have better luck in Washington.?
Karen F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Post moved to a new thread ----

Congrats on your 19!

Generally a temporary tag is only issued if you're a resident of said state. Not sure about Washington though.

The need to see the trailer before issuing permanent registration is pretty common in many states. A quick read through of all the threads concerning registration however, and you soon find that the "rules" are inconsistent from office to office within each state.

If it were me, I'd just tow with what you have if you aren't headed back to CA for several more weeks. If you're stopped, which is unlikely, you have the paperwork showing it's yours, as well as the temp tag documents from the first registration.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Will do. Thank you! After Chilliwack headed to beautiful Yellowstone and Grand Tetons then home.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen F View Post
Will do. Thank you! After Chilliwack headed to beautiful Yellowstone and Grand Tetons then home.
Hi Karen and Congratulations! I would follow Robert’s advice and travel with all available paperwork. California requires you to register your trailer within 20 days of ‘entering’ the state. If stopped, you will have no problem proving ownership.

We’ll keep an eye out for you in Wyoming!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Hi, I am Karen. While not new to this forum this is my first post. A belated Thank you to all of you on this forum for sharing your expertise,experiences and problem solving. You helped me decide that a new Escape was for me for it's quality,value and customer service. I sold my cute 17' Casita in April . Ordered a 19' Escape last November. Headed to Chilliwack on 8/24 to pick her up on 9/4. Coming from California with my packed 2012 Toyota 4Runner. Very excited and a bit giddy. I have run into a snag tho and hope someone can guide me. Trying to get a travel permit from my CA DMV to cover a month of travel has been trying to say the least. I have insurance and "preregistered" the Escape by showing them docs and of course $$. They said they need to SEE trailer before giving full registration for operation. They mistakenly gave me a permit that expired 8/30. Went back and now they gave me a vehicle moving permit for one day.?? Question: Might I have better luck in Washington.?
Hi Karen, we are also picking up our new 19 on Sept. 4! Our orientation is scheduled for 0830. Maybe see you then
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

Yes, my ore is at 8:30 as well. See you then!!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Hi Karen and Congratulations! I would follow Robert’s advice and travel with all available paperwork. California requires you to register your trailer within 20 days of ‘entering’ the state. If stopped, you will have no problem proving ownership.

We’ll keep an eye out for you in Wyoming!
Karen,
What Steve and Robert said worked for me. When I went to Canada to pickup my Escape I "just went" All the documentation you have should be fine if your stopped, although I was never stopped. When registering at DMV they looked at the date of when I crossed the border and said 20 or 30 day's ( can't remember) to register.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Towed the 21, 2000 miles home without a plate and had no problem. The troubles started when I went to register it. I think you could find a lot of horror stories about that process on this foum. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

Thank you all for your encouragement. It gives me hope so I will just stay positive and not worry so much.

Karen
Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Same with us. When we picked up our 19', I went down to the DMV first and they took my money, gave me a receipt and told us to have it registered within 20 days of entering the state. We were never stopped (I did tape the receipt to the back window). First registration was at a small DMV (Hollister ... which is pretty busy nowadays) and had no problems. This time, I called our insurance company and they have everything set up so our policy begins on our pickup date but didn't even bother with DMV. I did make an appointment for Red Bluff DMV while on our trip home so we'll see if we have any issues with them. (Note: Check out their photos on-line ... nice wide street with lots of curbside parking) .

Bottom line, don't worry. You have proof of ownership, insurance and when you took possession ... that's about all they care about.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Thank you all for your encouragement. It gives me hope so I will just stay positive and not worry so much.

Karen
Karen, In addition to Red Bluff DMV, we had a delightful experience at Eureka DMV. Others have had good success at Shasta City and Crescent City DMV. As in other states, not all offices are created equal.......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i've always had reasonable service in the Capitola (Santa Cruz area) DMV, but one time the clerk threw me a loop, the deceased co-owner had, of course, not signed the out-of-state title, so this clerk said I would have to sends the title back to the out-of-state seller who would have to get a new title issued without the deceased co-owners name. I left in disgust. went back a couple days later and a different clerk had zero issues with the paperwork as-is.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I bought my 17 in 2012 we went into the Shasta City (Mt Shasta) DMV, ad it was a dream...out in 20 minutes WITH the plates.

Went to the Capitola DMV to register my 2014 19, and it was a disaster. Clerk was ignorant, rude and had to go back and forth to his supervisor numerous times. They didn't think the paperwork was legitimate, they questioned the purchase price (CDN vs USD), and they wanted to send everything "to Sacramento". I had to come back a second day, and wait, and wait, and wait for an examiner to check the VIN. Then, I only got a 30 day permit until my plates were mailed to me.

My advice is to choose a small town department.