Hello from Tennessee - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Alumalite at hunting camp / WTB 21' or 23' Escape
Hello from Tennessee

New to the forum but I've been researching trailers for a while. Although I've never actually seen one in person, based on my research, I feel that an Escape will be the right fit for us...

I'll continue to watch the used market but plan to send a deposit to Escape in the next few weeks in case a used trailer never materializes for us. Now I just have to decide whether that will be on a 21C, 23, or 5.0!

My wife, Stephanie, and I are both 58. She retired from the Dept. of Justice at 50 and I plan to retire within the next 2 years. I currently have a Toyota 4 Runner but had already planned to purchase a Toyota Tundra Crew Cab when the 2022 models are released.

We tent camped for years but bought and rehabbed an older Holiday Rambler Alumalite about 10 years ago that we use locally but its bigger than what we want to drag around the country.

I appreciate the willingness to share from the members of this forum and am looking forward to the journey.

David & Stephanie Koeppel
Arlington, TN
dkoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 ne
We are in much the same situation. My wife retires in 3 years and we are going to full time it for a year after that. We put our deposit in on a 21ne. The driving force there is the larger bed because we have 2 larger dogs. I bought a 2021 tundra for the tow rig. As we are going to be far from home, we opted for the rock solid dependability of the current tundra. We plan on 18 months of shakedown and getting the equipment right and then going full-time. We liked the 5.0, but wanting to full-time, we are opting to tow and use the bed for more storage with a lockable cap. Enjoy your trailer and we may see you on the road.
Headed towards retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #3

Thank you! I like the NE as well...its a tough decision for sure.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 19
Escape will give you contact info so you can go visit current owners and tour their trailers. It is likely that you can see a 19 or maybe something else within a days drive. These are great trailers but I don’t recommend buying site unseen.

Graham.
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #5

Thanks...I wouldn't but its sound advice. I live near Memphis, TN and there seem to be a few Escapes in the Nashville, TN area which is about 2.5 hours from us so we were going to try to schedule some visits...who knows...maybe one of they may get an itch to sell??
Old 03-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Welcome to both dkoeppel and to headed towards retirement! I see h_t_r is a Skagit Valley boy. I spent a lot of years drinking Skagit River water - Oak Harbor HS and Skagit Valley College graduate. I have many relatives living in Mt Vernon / Burlington / Bow / Oak Harbor.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Its a tough decision for sure on which model; the big clincher for us was the ability for either one of us to get out of bed without having to climb over the other person; the biggest drawback of the fifth wheel is losing a lot of the cargo area in the truck bed. In the end there is no wrong choice
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
David,

If you ever get to East Tennessee, you could look us up. Also retired DOJ, also own an earlier model 4Runner, but don't tow with it anymore.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
David,

If you ever get to East Tennessee, you could look us up. Also retired DOJ, also own an earlier model 4Runner, but don't tow with it anymore.

Bill
Thank you! I saw on the Escape site that there were a few ambassadors in East TN....we do try to get to the 'pretty side of the state' a few times each year so I will reach out!

David
Old 03-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 21 ne
late to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Welcome to both dkoeppel and to headed towards retirement! I see h_t_r is a Skagit Valley boy. I spent a lot of years drinking Skagit River water - Oak Harbor HS and Skagit Valley College graduate. I have many relatives living in Mt Vernon / Burlington / Bow / Oak Harbor.

Sorry i'm late to reply. I not yet used to checking this account yet. It is a wonderful area. We have a lot of history here and 2 of our 3 kids are here. As I look out my window, i can just see the tops of the SVC buildings. We are not sure were we re going to retire, but the Skagit area taxes are a bit high for retirement. Part of our 1 year full-time experience will be about checking out areas to retire. I recently retired and my main office was in Clackamas area. I spent a lot of time there.
Headed towards retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21NE
21NE in North Alabama

We have a 2020 21NE and are in North Alabama, y'all are welcome to come see it if it would help in your decision.
Amel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #12

Thanks for the note....PM sent to you....
Old 03-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed towards retirement View Post
Sorry i'm late to reply. I not yet used to checking this account yet. It is a wonderful area. We have a lot of history here and 2 of our 3 kids are here. As I look out my window, i can just see the tops of the SVC buildings. We are not sure were we re going to retire, but the Skagit area taxes are a bit high for retirement. Part of our 1 year full-time experience will be about checking out areas to retire. I recently retired and my main office was in Clackamas area. I spent a lot of time there.
Here yu go
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...s-for-retirees