Hello! - Joe and Cherie from Ohio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Hello! - Joe and Cherie from Ohio

We forgot to give a proper introduction! Hopefully late is better than never.

I've been on the fiberglassrv forum for a while now. My name is Joe and my wife is Cherie. Cherie does not do the forum thing, so its always me typing. Sometimes I use the word "I" when I mean to use "we". I guess its cause I'm typing, but its always "we"!

So we have been camping since we met. Now we are 50 yrs old and empty nesters. After years of sleeping out of the back of our Tahoe and in tents, we decided to buy a camper. I do engineering work and have always understood well built, over big and pretty. Slideouts...puke! Paper thin plastic shower stall....puke! I couldn't believe how cheaply built the stickies were at the RV show. After research on the web (I do this for EVERYTHING) I discovered FGRV's.

I'm almost 6'6" tall. Cherie is almost 5'1". After research we decided on an EggCamper. A few years back a member here (rrugg) had one for sale because he just ordered an Escape 19. Cherie and I drove to Indy and met Bob, and he graciously showed us his EggCamper. Problem was, we couldn't afford it! I'm not saying it was overpriced, that's not it at all. We just didn't have the cash in our budget to buy it at the time.

So we kept looking and eventually purchased a 2005 Casita 17SD. I figured "we can make it work" even if I couldn't stand or lay in it. And in all reality, it wasn't TOOO bad. I put a couple grand into upgrades to it – had it all fixed up!! We did a 2 week trip around Lake Michigan and fell in love with the FGRV thing!! We’ve had it on two ferrys, Put-In-Bay Island and Apostle Island. We were hooked!! We came home and all we would do is look forward to the next weekend camp - loving it all the way!! It became our "new hobby". We want it to be our new life! We still work full time so unfortunately the LONG road trips have to wait.

In researching FGRV’s, I knew the Bigfoots and Escapes were awesome – probably what we would love to have. During my research, I would talk to our good friends Rick and Kim about Escapes. They are retired Air Force and young and retired. I’m jealous! In a good way – I’m happy for them. So Rick calls me one day and he says, we did it! While we bought a Casita, they ordered a brand new Escape 21. Wow!! Sooo cool. They took possession a few months ago – made the long trip and pulled her home.

So…..still sitting in the garage was my “old hobby”. I have (had) a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ. I loved the car. But I found over the years it didn’t get worked on like it used to, like it needed. I would go for rides and hope I made it home without breaking down, or overheating. My wife could care less about the car, but she didn’t mind us having it because she knew it was my dream car. So I started to ponder a new chapter in life. Simplifying. I lost the desire to work on it over the years. Maybe I’m getting older. Selling the Mach 1 and diving into camping sounded good. I told my wife I was going to sell it, and she looked at me like I had two heads. She thought I loved it more than her….ha! Not true at all!

Well, one day I put the Mach 1 up for sale. A few months later, it sold! I almost cried watching it drive away, but I knew it was best long term. Now, the proceeds from the Mach 1 allowed us pad a savings account and dive deeper into camping and FGRV’s. Now we could afford what we really wanted. So longing to be able to sleep straight and stand up in a camper - I instantly started looking for an EggCamper again. It was a frustrating search, with some misses, and one wasted 16 hour drive. But finally the perfect one came along! A second trip to Michigan and we bought our dream EggCamper. This was just a few months ago. We have only used it a few times as I am currently laid up with Achilles tendon surgery which put a screeching halt to our camping this year.

So with the EggCamper and Casita in the driveway, I took the task to sell the Casita. I called our other best friends Bob and Danielle. Told them its going up for sale. Well it didn’t take long and they decided to buy it!! Sweet!! Now we have 2 good friends with FGRV’s and its fun to camp with them!!! Our third set of friends we won’t talk about much here. They are very strange. They bought a brand new Jayco Hybrid 17ft with 2 popouts. I almost had a heart attack. I guess you can’t convert everybody.

So fast forward a few months to today. Now even tho I have NO REGRETS buying the EggCamper – I think to myself. I have LOTS of time to think being laid up from surgery for 6 weeks so far. Cherie and I know the EggCamper is perfectly fine for our current life. Weekends out or a 2 week trip from time to time. But we know what we really want when we retire is a bigger Egg. We may even full time in it – as in sell everything including the house. We are still on the fence about that or buying a little house as a 3 month a year base – but still being gone 9 months a year. We will decide later.

But or employer is never too stable. They lay off at anytime, we may be retired well before we decide – but when the company decides. So I cant help but ask myself and my wife – should we prepare now? Maybe instead of sinking a boatload of work and money into the EggCamper to get it the way I want it (solar, gen, lift, new vent, larger tires / wheels, bike rack, redo storage, on and on), maybe, maybe, we just say what the hell, and buy our retirement FGRV now. We were down to the Bigfoot 25RQ or the Escape 5.0TA. Well, after being in my friends Escape 21 (1” taller than the Bigfoot inside), its still walking around with head bent over. I like standing up straight. The 5.0TA wins!

So now we are searching for a 5.0TA. Have not decided to order new yet as we don’t need an October 2017 delivery – we would rather have a spring 2018 build date. So we have time to ponder a new order! And we found via this forum a couple who is taking delivery of their 5.0TA soon and they live an hour from us. They are letting us see it. We are probably as excited to see it, as they are to own it! Its SOO cool to have to opportunity to see one in person before ordering sight unseen. Time will tell if we order a new one or if we find a used one. Even if we get cold feet – we WILL eventually own a 5.0TA, and until that time comes, we will use the next best FGRV for a tall person, our 6’7” inside EggCamper.

Well, that’s our story!! I apologize for not introducing ourselves sooner, but hopefully this long novel made up for it! Or maybe you fell asleep a long time ago…….

Thank you and we look forward to being members of the forum!

Joe and Cherie
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
THANK YOU Joe and Cherie for sharing your story. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Like you, I'm still tied to this thing called work, but we try to get out and camp whenever we get the time.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your evolution to fiberglass and your eventual goal of a 5.0TA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Hello
Joe and Cherie. Welcome to the Escape forum. My wife and I are picking up our Escape 21 in 14 days. Can't wait. John and Arleen
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome Joe and Cherie!

Many of us have taken a ride through various trailers until we get to the one that works best for us. Good to hear your story.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Exactly know what you mean Joe and Cherie. The searching what is best, the looking around, the pondering, the comparing, etc. And yes, it's a big investment, and you want it right! You want to enjoy your trailer, enjoy your time away from home and work.
You ended up at the right place!!! An Escape trailer will do this for you!!
Hope it all works out for you two!!! Best wishes!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
But or employer is never too stable. They lay off at anytime, we may be retired well before we decide – but when the company decides.
Great story! Thanks for sharing

I went through a RIF the first of the year after 31 years on the job. Fortunately I already have my forever trailer in Ten Forward and I'm getting kinda used to this retirement stuff. Just got back from a 12 day camping trip and leaving Monday for seven more! That would never have happened if I was still working
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
This was mine from 1977 to 2002.
Attached Thumbnails
9-2-2016 5;55;05 PM.jpg  
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Welcome to the both of you. Hope to meet you at one of the rallies!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
We still work full time so unfortunately the LONG road trips have to wait.

maybe, maybe, we just say what the hell, and buy our retirement FGRV now.
This describes us to a t. We are in our early 50's, so still have too many years until retirement. And I had been looking at travel trailers for the past 20 years, saying "some day when we retire and have time to enjoy it". But then last year we decided "what the hell" why wait? And I started researching FGRV's, found out about the Escapes and knew that was the one. So on July 30th of last year, I called Escape and ordered a new 17B. And then earlier this year, called Escape back and said "make that a 19"...we decided that if this was going to be our retirement camper, we wanted more room than the 17B.

So now we have our dream camper, we love our occasional weekend trips, have made some amazing friends camping, and already have a one week trip to St Augustine FL booked for next April.

So I say if you can do it, get what you want now.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Welcome fellow Buckeye! Go Bucks! Go Bengals!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

We appreciate all the warm welcomes!!

Donna - I hope the forced early retirement was a gift!! Sounds like it was and that's great - congratulations!! We only live once. I read all the post from people who say "why didn't I do this 10 years earlier?" It makes us dream...

On the flip side, I don't want to be laid off yet, a lot to lose. My wife and I both work at the same place. Its a HUGE company (think Thomas Edison). I have just over 25 years here and I work in an Engineering position without an Engineering degree. I was hired as a "draftsman" back when we had drawing boards and there were ad's on the back of matchbook covers that said "make big money in drafting" haha. All my experience is on the job, and I try to hold my own here.

BUT. The last round of layoffs were mostly people in their upper 50's. I'm an expensive employee due to being grandfathered in the pension plan. They like to purge those and replace with younger cheaper. I'm not blind to the target on my back, but I try to work hard and keep my head down to make it thru till 60. Rumor is more go next year.

My wife has 3 years here. She hired in well after the pension stopped. She has informed me that "my last day is her last day".....haha! Smart gal!!! We hope whenever the time comes we are prepared and can do what Donna D is - and enjoy early retirement!

James Gang - SWEET car!!! I loved mine and still love the hobby, but honestly I don't miss the car as much as I thought I would. I'm ready for the simple life! We want to sell our home. Its just an average home, but it has a lot of yard to maintain. We decided we are better off in a small (1200 sq ft ish) home and an ez yard to maintain. A "lock-n-go" home. All we want is a small home, our truck, and the 5.0TA. THAT'S IT!! haha!

So that's the reason considering 5.0TA now. We don't want to get a pink slip and say "ok - time to go" and have a 1 year wait for a 5.0TA. But in reality, as long as we are working, our EggCamper is fine and EZ to store and zip around in!

Thanks all for the welcomes! Hope to meet more of you in our travels!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: jwscarab... Welcome to the line up!!! When I turned 60 we gained the opportunity to buy our dream. An 8 month old Escape 5.0 complete with a 6 yr. old pickup truck. Had to sweet talk the bank into extending my line... but I thought; I have 5 yrs to pay for it, then retire. Made the five but we all know how theory works.
Along came the 5.0TA, and a bit of arm wrestling from Reace and well... the rest is history. Nothing like starting at the top... Eh? Sure is a nice view from up here!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
1st night out!!!.jpg   new combo.jpg   P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Welcome. We weren't due to retire for 5 years when we ordered the 19. When the exchange rate went upside down in our favor and some other things aligned we went ahead and got the retirement trailer. Glad we did it now and the trailer will be all setup when we hit the road in 4 years. If you can do it now with the exchange rate, do it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #14

Well i feel a little embaressed! After a few more days of soul searching, we have added the 25RQ back into the mix. I hope you guys dont think we r nuts! Its such a huge decision. The bed issue is still resolved, but not the height. So we need to weigh the height vs the other pros and cons. Please bear with us I hope we are not defectors here before we get started!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Well i feel a little embaressed! After a few more days of soul searching, we have added the 25RQ back into the mix. I hope you guys dont think we r nuts! Its such a huge decision. The bed issue is still resolved, but not the height. So we need to weigh the height vs the other pros and cons. Please bear with us I hope we are not defectors here before we get started!
A fine trailer, as long as you can deal with a base dry weight of almost 5000 lbs, closer to 6000 lbs underway -- and over 600 lbs of tongue weight. That eliminates many vehicles as a tow that would easily work with an Escape.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A fine trailer, as long as you can deal with a base dry weight of almost 5000 lbs, closer to 6000 lbs underway -- and over 600 lbs of tongue weight. That eliminates many vehicles as a tow that would easily work with an Escape.

I looked hard at Bigfoots recently , but your reasons are a big part of our deciding against. Plus, I wanted the flexibility of ordering customized stuff. I find that the Escapes have more storage for the given sizes.

That said, Bigfoot makes a great quality trailer, something to be proud to own.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Welcome Joe and Cherie from a mutual Ohioan. We are awaiting the build of our 2017 19 in the Spring. Maybe someday if we get enough interest we can organize an Ohio rally. Until then enjoy the forum and all the excellent information it provides. Ralph and Linda in NE Ohio.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
We love the 25 RQ model and were going to go with that one for retirement. Great walk around q bed and bathroom. Still very fond of that trailer, but we decided to go with the tiny house movement, less is more, and decided on the Escape 19. I think we ended up with the right decision for us, but I still do think about that Bigfoot.

It's not an easy decision, take ur time and I'm sure you'll like whichever one you go with.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #19

Well that may have been short lived.......ha

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and suggestions! So today I went over to our friends Rick and Kims for a visit. They are the couple who have a 2016 Escape 21. I stood in it to get a feel for the headroom again. I was suprised at how much i had to bend my head over to stand. So if the Escape is 6'5" and the Bigfot is 6'4" and i was already uncomfortably hunched, then the Bigfoot is not going to work! Its that simple .

What had us thinking about the Bigfoot again was the 4 season thing. This may very well be a full time rv some day, or a 6 to 9 month a year rv. I love the idea of internal tanks. We can follow weather but if we have to come home for family reasons and its January, the 3 season may not do well.

So thats the trade off thats so hard. We'd LOVE a 4 seasom rv, but if we are living in it that long, i think standing up may have to win out. Thats every day that I have to stand up! I guess i can blow out the lines and then head north dry. So we may be back to the 5.0TA after all. Thanks for listening to my blabbering!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sit down and think it over.