Hello, New from Bennington, vt - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 wildcat 29bhbp
Hello, New from Bennington, vt

Hello, we are from the Bennington, Vt. Area. We are in the process of deciding on an Escape RV. We are hoping to connect with folks in the Vt./ NY/ Western Massachusetts vicinity so that we might be able to view the various sizes and the 5 th wheel style. PROBLEM my husband is 6'5' so we have no idea if any of the options might suffice. Or that is the height of the RV.

I do love it, have seen one while staying in Myrtle Beach. I drive a 35 ft. 5 th. Wheel and just to tired of it. We have it parked on our upper fields on our country farm for an Airbnb. I never want to tow one that big again.

I have a 2500 Silverado diesel, full cab with 8 ft. Bed That's BIG too. Luv the size but hate the drive. I'm looking at a Tacoma.
Any ideas, we welcome.

Oh and any one heading northeast, comeing to the Bennington Garlic let me know.
Kathy
Kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome

I have a fifth wheel just outside Springfield Ma, that you could look at if you want, but there may be one closer, folks been doing some buying lately.

I'm 6'2", the trailer works for me although the bed can be a bit tight even being a real queen.
Think it's the angled front wall, cuts a little off the usable length, especially if you put a topper on it or get a thicker mattress. It works, but It's just not the same as the queen in the house.

Can't really say if a newly ordered trailer would be the same, the current model. ETI is in the midst of coming out with a new body style for the 2017's, which is what you'd be looking at if you were to place an order now. Interior is supposedly the same, or close to it, but we won't really know till one gets built.

You might want to consider taking a ride up to Alf's Niagara Falls rally in mid Sept., be plenty of Escapes to see there. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...18-a-7034.html
Old 07-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There will be a rally in September in Niagara Falls, On where you will be able to see just about every Escape model - see here for details http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...18-a-7034.html

ps
Welcome to our little world...
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #4

Would love to go to the rally, I don't have a passport. Don't know if I could get one by then. I think I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Kathy.

Two of the best Escape owners out there are from Vermont, Jenny and Ian Eddy. They picked up their 19 the day before we picked up ours in 2009, and we spent the weekend camping with them. They since bought another one better outfitted to their needs in 2015, and we got to camp with them again at the rally. I would highly recommend you contact them.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - View Profile: Eddys

And I fully understand you wanting to dump your big truck if not needed, I have had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for 25 years now, and am glad to downsize to tow a trailer too. Though I am not real familiar with the Tacoma, it certainly has been discussed a lot, so a search should bring up lots of input for you on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi Kathy,
We are near Sunapee NH and an easy drive from White River Jct VT if you are wanting to see an Escape 5.0TA, we are happy to show you ours. As Padlin says the new model year 2017 will have some physical changes and one hasn't been built yet.
We had one couple at a campground on our last trip who asked to see our trailer. He was 6'3" and wanted to see if he could stand in the bathroom, and was pleased that he could stand upright!
If you'd like to take a drive to NH feel free to PM us.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

So nice of you. I know Keene and go through there often. I would love to see it. My work schedule is very flexible , I work at home so I'd love to arange to see it. Do you ever travel west through bennington with it. We are right in the area , so let me know if your flying by. Lots of parking lots we could meet at, or our pull in site we have put in.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks for the referrals . I had spoken to a couple a few years ago when the interest in changing RV direction first began. We weren't able to focus in making changes then. They were from Bennington, however we were not able to connect. I'll keep trying to find folks. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Hi Kathy and Welcome!

I am 6'4" (6'5" with shoes on) and although the 21 is listed at 6'5" interior height, I think that is without insulation and flooring, as even without shoes, I cannot stand up straight. However, I don't find it a problem. The maxx fan and air conditioner hang down even further, so I naturally duck when I move around inside. When I stand at the sink or stove, I am looking down anyway, and if I spread my legs a little, I am ok. The others are right though; you and your husband will have to see some Escapes in person and he will need to 'test stand' in the different sizes as there is a difference. Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Kathy
I would echo Steve's comment about a test stand, test walk around and test bed check in the units you are truly interested in. Make sure you don't lie to yourself with an " It will be ok, we will get used to it" attitude if you are not 100% happy with the way you fit the unit. I had a fellow who was 6'3" admit to me he'd made a serious mistake buying a Scamp that was too low for him. Our 19 would have worked better, he said at the time. However, he was all in with the Scamp and could not afford to change. You can add some things later but not height to the inner dimension.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #11

Well

I guess the question is with or without the hubby. I won't answer that...haha! I do however travel a good deal doing volunteer work when I can. He will not always be with me, as because of big time changes in his banking corp. he now does not have the option to work either at home in NY or winters in Florida. So we are now stuck more up here. We are looking into buying a camp in Western Vt. So we both have a base we can go to in retirement that we both can enjoy on weekends. anyhow, I still want my travel rig. So I might even think about the 17 footer. Easy to tow, and I could squeeze him in if I missed him.
The 2017 units are they any taller, bed longer? Thanks for the input all of you.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Hi Kathy
We are in East Dover VT and it took about 1.5hr for us to get to Charlie and Lucy's place. We are looking at the 5.0 TA to upsize slightly from our 19' scamp. Living in VT i would hesitate using a Tacoma with the mountains. My Tundra seems to be big enough but remember you are looking at two things, one is how much can you tow and two is payload. I expect a fully loaded 5.0 TA might have a kingpin weight of between 600 - 800 pounds and then you add a 125 lb hitch and two folks and all the stuff you put in the truck including fuel and you are rapidly getting at the top end of the payload for a Taco. Not saying you can't do it and people do but i would not want to be at the top end of what a truck can do and try to tow around VT.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Hello and welcome from Sherburne ,NY. Absolutely LOVE Bennington VT. Never been to Hoosick falls though. Have passed by on the way to Bennington. We have gone to Bennington every year for a long time. Our breakfast nook is the little coffee shop on the corner of Rt 7 and 9, and Sunday's if we are there , live entertainment. The garlic festival is one of our favorites, not to big not to small. And I don't know what it is about that Monument, but we seem to go there most every time we're up there. At least drive around it.
If you can, I highly recommend that you go to the "Niagra Wine Escape". You will be able to view every model of the Escapes, older ones and new. So you can see how they have progressed. Plus you will be able to view some older Trillums, and Bolers. Some 30 or more years old, still in use. The people will make you feel very welcome and you'll make some good friends. Go for the whole 3 days if you can. And take part in the planned festivities. We did last year and had such a great time that we ended up going to the "Egg Rally" on the Outter Banks in North Carolina the next month.
But beware. After the rally we ordered an Escape 21. Supposed to be picking it up this October 17th. I say supposed to be cause the wife is having an unplanned major spine surgery in August. May have to make other plans to get it if she can't go.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Hi Kathy,
I can say the the 17B won't work for your spouse unless he has a terrible posture problem. Come look at ours if you want to confirm that though!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Hi Kathy and Welcome!

I am 6'4" (6'5" with shoes on) and although the 21 is listed at 6'5" interior height, I think that is without insulation and flooring, as even without shoes, I cannot stand up straight. However, I don't find it a problem. The maxx fan and air conditioner hang down even further, so I naturally duck when I move around inside. When I stand at the sink or stove, I am looking down anyway, and if I spread my legs a little, I am ok. The others are right though; you and your husband will have to see some Escapes in person and he will need to 'test stand' in the different sizes as there is a difference. Good Luck!
Describes me exactly. I think that the advantages of the Escape make the "hunching over" that I must do well worth it. The 6'7" headroom in our old EggCamper is the only thing that I miss.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Describes me exactly. I think that the advantages of the Escape make the "hunching over" that I must do well worth it. The 6'7" headroom in our old EggCamper is the only thing that I miss.
I couldn't agree more! All things considered, a little lack of headroom is minor, compared to all the advantages of an Escape. After all, we know we are tall, and pay attention. We are either ducking or paying the consequences. I have scars on my head to prove my lack of attention.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Welcome, Kathy.

Two of the best Escape owners out there are from Vermont, Jenny and Ian Eddy. They picked up their 19 the day before we picked up ours in 2009, and we spent the weekend camping with them. They since bought another one better outfitted to their needs in 2015, and we got to camp with them again at the rally. I would highly recommend you contact them.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - View Profile: Eddys

And I fully understand you wanting to dump your big truck if not needed, I have had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for 25 years now, and am glad to downsize to tow a trailer too. Though I am not real familiar with the Tacoma, it certainly has been discussed a lot, so a search should bring up lots of input for you on it.
Thanks Jim for suggesting Kathy contact us. We would be thrilled to talk to you about the wonders of the Escape! Ours is a 19 footer.
We don't go on this forum very often or we would have responded sooner. We are in Saxtons River which is about 3/4 hour from Bennington on the other side of the state.
- Jenny