Hellos from SW CO/moab/looking for casita/escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #21

Trailer: ??????? looking
Thumbs up Sold.....

......If it includes delivery to Moab, UT a very fine destination for your driver and I can provide free housing in the trailer when they arrive!! Wish it would work, I bet you have a nice one, beam me up one nice Casita Scotty!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We're going to ask $12,500...it's pretty loaded with stuff, new AC, new brakes, Aluminum rims and Maxxis tires...goes on and on.
mcmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #22

reflectix?

I wondered the same?? I have used the Reflectix on several home projects,
wonder if it too good to be true? I like your pun on "cocaine", yes if your heaters run all the time, propane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Isn't the purpose of Reflectix to reflect radiant infrared heat? In that case, does it matter if it faces an open space?

In any event, my trailer has it (and the double-pane windows) yet my furnace seems to run a lot.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #23

Question most/least useful options poll?

This should be a poll somewhere on the site, but how about some input on "most and least useful options" so I can start figuring out what is waste of money and what is really a desired trailer option?? Being a newbie, hard to figure out what is really going to be useful in long run and get used or what is a high maintenance expensive option that might get little actual use or be a space hog or extra weight. Might be some overlooked inexpensive options are out there that might be very desirable and hard to add on later. Bring it on!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It all depends on you, your style of camping and your expectations. I have nothing to offer.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It all depends on you, your style of camping and your expectations. I have nothing to offer.
The above statement really is the bottom line of the option question. What is a must-have for some may be an expensive and useless add-on to others. It is, admittedly, harder for someone who has not camped before to determine his or her camping style but if you have camped in a previous life, you'll be ahead of the game in terms of figuring out what you need or want versus what you can do without. The options do add up quickly in cost so keep that in mind.

Edited: If you search the forum for a particular option, say "removable power cord," you'll find many threads with the pros and cons of that option. This may give you a good place to start thinking about your camping style.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #26

Cool I get it....to each his/her own!

I am outdoor person, ex river guide with (11) 3-4 week long grand canyon private river trips (even in january last year!). I like to bike, hike, paddle,
photography and have never once stayed in a KOA. I would probably spend much of my time outside trailer cooking and hanging out by my firepan. Plus, me and the dog, so hard floors. I would be wild camping more than plug in at the campground, where dogs run free and wild ( I get to be the poop scooper, I respect that aspect) and no generators. Thinking beefy suspension/large tires, insulation, self contained useful upgrades vs dish network capability type stuff. That should paint a good picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
Good to know it will take a bit of a beating. I want the extra insulation package with the double pane windows

Back to trailers, any tips on upgrades that people like vs wasted space/weight/money? I am newby, but wanting capability to "boondock" for a while, so thinking solar in form of Zamp 80-120 amp would be good with some extra batteries. I know this is tied into how much amps you would be using. I would probably want sound system, maybe led tv for dvd (no dish), small microwave, and some kind of wi/fi access if that is possible through verizon and other "normal" usage. Not sure on awning, but probably worth it for sun/rain protection. I suspect I would set up outside kitchen when weather is permitting or hot, but want 2 burner inside stove and a reasonable sized fridg. Hard floors, no carpet, ac/furnace, max storage potential, LED lights, hitch receiver for bike rack, screens, good ventilation. Not sure on sizing for water/grey/black water, thinking more is better, shower/toilet (could skip bath sink). I am sure there is much more and all kinds of custom mods people come up with (swamp cooler, roof racks, etc), but I bet "less is more" as everything you add is more weight, cost and maintenance. I bet it is easy to get sucked into buying lots of extra options you never really use, but there might be some handi options that are worth having and maybe not apparent to newbies like me. I think I would prefer the 17 with single axle over the 19 double??
Looks like you figured it out already. But honestly, if you want to spend your money wisely, go sit down and decide first on HOW you want to camp. Once decided on that, you probably can scratch off a few of the options listed above.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I am outdoor person, ex river guide with (11) 3-4 week long grand canyon private river trips (even in january last year!). I like to bike, hike, paddle,
photography and have never once stayed in a KOA. I would probably spend much of my time outside trailer cooking and hanging out by my firepan. Plus, me and the dog, so hard floors. I would be wild camping more than plug in at the campground, where dogs run free and wild ( I get to be the poop scooper, I respect that aspect) and no generators. Thinking beefy suspension/large tires, insulation, self contained useful upgrades vs dish network capability type stuff. That should paint a good picture!
I’ll refrain from going into the merits of specific options, but from what you describe I would think the best base to build around would be a 17 with high lift axle and solar. A smaller, lighter trailer will be able to go more remote places and tuck in to tight spots. Based on your past experience even a nearly stock Escape would probably be wonderful. That said, make sure the Escape is built to withstand the rigors of your use. When I hear wild camping and beefy suspension / large tires I think more of an expedition type trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
How about the poly-styrene 4x8 sheets with foil you buy at home depot?
The polystyrene foam is good (about R-5 per inch); the foil is only a useful addition if facing open space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Isn't the purpose of Reflectix to reflect radiant infrared heat? In that case, does it matter if it faces an open space?
Yes, it matters, because if a solid material is in contact with the foil heat is just conducted... the foil doesn't do any good. Put your hand directly on something warm, and you can feel the heat; put foil between your hand and the same object - still with direct contact - and it doesn't help.

Where reflective insulation is useful is where the object is facing open air (or even better, a vacuum). In that case, heat is not conducted very easily but a significant amount of heat transfer can occur by (infrared) radiation, which is reduced by a shiny (for lack of a better term) surface. This works whether the heat is being absorbed (e.g. gaining heat from exposure to the sun) or radiated (e.g. losing heat from a warm trailer to the cold night sky).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #30

Quote:
......If it includes delivery to Moab, UT a very fine destination for your driver and I can provide free housing in the trailer when they arrive!! Wish it would work, I bet you have a nice one, beam me up one nice Casita Scotty!!

That is on the bucket list...Hmmm...

Another thing I did was replace most all of the body/structural rivets with stainless steel acorn nuts, countersunk washers, and 1/4" thru body bolts, all sealed with 3M 5200 marine sealant. It's like boat construction, and makes the trailer much stronger.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #31

Thumbs up Think about a moab trip??

I actually have an incredible guest room for you, private entrance on lower level with rim views to die for on NW edge of town bordering farmland/wetlands and colorado river wetlands, jacuzzi, outdoor shower, bed,
couch, bath with jacuzzi, washer, mini kitchen. Moab is incredible in the fall,
October is best month for the weather, but out of control now with the number of tourist. I actually like Nov the best, still get great warm indian summer days,
cool to freezing nights, few tourist, low light for awesome photography of the red rock, and is perfect temps for active sports like biking/hiking.
Quote:
That is on the bucket list...Hmmm...

Another thing I did was replace most all of the body/structural rivets with stainless steel acorn nuts, countersunk washers, and 1/4" thru body bolts, all sealed with 3M 5200 marine sealant. It's like boat construction, and makes the trailer much stronger.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #32

Quote:
I actually have an incredible guest room for you, private entrance on lower level with rim views to die for on NW edge of town bordering farmland/wetlands and colorado river wetlands, jacuzzi, outdoor shower, bed,
couch, bath with jacuzzi, washer, mini kitchen. Moab is incredible in the fall,
October is best month for the weather, but out of control now with the number of tourist. I actually like Nov the best, still get great warm indian summer days,
cool to freezing nights, few tourist, low light for awesome photography of the red rock, and is perfect temps for active sports like biking/hiking.
Oh, now you're killing me !

We're pretty much grounded here until next June...jobs and all that...

Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #33

Talking Bummer for me and you...

....Death in family member, emergency trip to moab!!

Quote:
Oh, now you're killing me !

We're pretty much grounded here until next June...jobs and all that...

Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #34

Quote:
....Death in family member, emergency trip to moab!!

Relentless...