Hi, ya all! Greetings from Tulsa, OK! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Jayco heritage Cascade
Smile Hi, ya all! Greetings from Tulsa, OK!

After lurking for a couple of days, I think I figured out we are the OTHER Mark and Elaine with a Tundra.

I'm Elaine Schuller (MissElaineous). We don't have an escape yet. We just found out about the fiberglass world a couple of weeks ago. We have been popup campers for over seven years now. I have been a part of the popupportal and the popup campers FB page.

Our kids are getting older and we are starting to look at what our next camper could be. Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Tundra Crewmax 4.7L 2WD. Growing up I used to compete in rodeos nationally and we pulled with a 4 horse gooseneck trailer. Later My parents were snowbirds and later full timers with a big fifth wheel trailer. So I'm somewhat familiar with the towing benefits of a 5th wheel. Several years ago when I shared the benefits with my husband he really like the idea of a 5th wheel. We always thought "maybe" a "little" one because we are not really big truck or camper people. When I first began looking a couple of weeks ago, all the little ones were OLD!!! I really don't trust old regular trailers to not have serious issues lurking behind the walls, floors and ceilings. Also they still were pretty heavy and that meant we would have to give up quite a bit of our wish list or our tow vehicle. Our Tundra only has 80K on it so we don't think that is a good idea yet.

A couple of weeks ago I began researching what would be the most spacious trailer we could tow safely with a conservative weight. (Our former Odyssey, even with a tow package, did not do well with our 2,000# PUP.) One of the things we want to do is travel to the mountains. We have been to Colorado without our trailer a couple of times. Plus Banff is on our bucket list. So when I listed the spec numbers of our truck on the Popup FB page people chimed in with their thoughts, and suggestions. One shared about a Scamp fifth wheel. I had not heard of one before. So the research into the fiberglass world..........black hole...I mean white hole began.

I like the Scamp fifth wheel. Although we do like the dual axle and bed in the Escape MUCH more. We would like not to have to crawl over each other. We have to do that now in our PUP. Those are two pretty important points for us. There is a 2014 Scamp for sale in OK City, but we are not ready, yet. Olivers are SHINY! and pretty...EXPENSIVE, and no 5th wheel. Casitas are OK, but again, no 5th wheel. I'm pretty much sold on Escape 5.0 TA for it's features and build quality. There are a few possible trailers we could get that are not Escapes, but I'm hoping we end up with an Escape fifth wheel for so many other reasons.

The downside for us of the Escape 5.0s is there are so few, plus BC is a pretty fer piece away from us. However, my husband is from Seattle, but we don't get back much.

As I have questions, I will try to post in the appropriate category as I am familiar how forums work.

Blessed to have joined this really great community! Hopefully we will meet around the campfire someday!
Misc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Welcome! As others will attest, you'll love a fifth-wheel Escape 5.0TA. Get your order in, and get ready for some fun camping!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome Elaine. It's just a personal opinion, but I don't see the Scamp 5th wheel and an Escape 5.0TA as being in the same league. They're both 5th wheels, but to me that's where the similarity ends. Spend some time inside both of them and I think you'll agree. Way more space and storage in the Escape, better construction techique, no rivets through the shell to hold interior cabinets up, and no wood bottom on the rig to rot out. You get what you pay for.

Customer service is very important to us as well, and Escape has been great with us from day one.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
A couple near me moved from a Scamp 5th wheel to an Escape 5th wheel. They both really like the Escape. I'll email her about this thread in case she wants to chime in.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you can view an Escape 21 near you (contact the factory for a list) then you can envision what the fifth wheel looks like inside as they are identical inside from the door rearward.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

I totally agree they aren't in the same league. Escape 5.0 is the dream. A Scamp could work for us, but it is not near the quality and fit as the Escape. We are not at the purchasing point yet. We still are planning on keeping the PUP a few more years and then look to our next camper.

From what I can tell, there are no 5.0s or even regular Escapes even near us to see in person, only pics for now.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

NW Cat Owner, Thank you! From what I read, newbies can not PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you can view an Escape 21 near you (contact the factory for a list) then you can envision what the fifth wheel looks like inside as they are identical inside from the door rearward.
Or, since you are interested in the fifth wheel, just ask Escape if they can give you the name of a nearby owner of an Escape 5.0TA that you could view.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misc99 View Post
From what I can tell, there are no 5.0s or even regular Escapes even near us to see in person, only pics for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Or, since you are interested in the fifth wheel, just ask Escape if they can give you the name of a nearby owner of an Escape 5.0TA that you could view.
If they don't have any names for ya, they might later since they're busy cranking out trailers left and right. I'm sure there will be one in your neck of the woods soon.

Also, you could always start a separate thread on here such as "want to view 5.0TA in Tulsa" sort of thing. And realize that not everyone reads this forum every single day and multiple times at that. So, the thread could get missed if you're just checking for new threads.

It was suggested to view a 21. Yeah, that sort of works. Some of it is the same. When we were in the market we viewed a 21, 19 and 5.0TA. Even though many areas of the 5.0 and 21 are the same, you really should step inside one to see the difference. Lots higher ceiling. Bed area totally different. And it's great to climb those steps and sit on the bed to view the rest of the trailer. It's great!

We almost ordered one, but decided that I needed the bed area of the Tundra for my inventory for craft/art/etc shows that I vend at. So, we got a high roof canopy and I can wad that back full. Would not be able to do that with the hitch back there.

Good luck with your decision.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Two weeks ago I was washing our 21 at a car wash and a gentleman spotted it, came over and got the grand tour. They were looking very seriously at Scamps but after seeing the Escape, that went out the window. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
ALL brands of all-molded-towables are great. There isn't one, that if it fit my budget and wants, I wouldn't take over some stick built. I keep hearing about exposed wood floors in Scamps as being a bad thing. Guess what, they're not. If floors rot in any brand, it's the owners fault because of delayed maintenance. Even Casita, which is fully tubbed, I'm reading about major floor issues. There's a current thread on FiberglassRV going on right now about replacing the entire floor in that brand. Floors rot from the top down, not from the bottom up. Other than Lil Snoozy, I don't know of any brand that doesn't have some sort of vent or opening on the roof. With wall coverings, etc. and not paying attention to caulk, etc. water can run between the shell and insulation(?) for years. It may not be until the smell of mold hits the owner nose they may realize something is amiss. I love my ETI build. I honestly don't know if Escape owners take better care of their trailers or if the brand is so new we haven't heard of major, major rot issues. I'd like to believe it's because we know better. But maybe 20-30 years from now, someone will pop in and say Grand Dad's trailer has been sitting in a field for years... the floor is gone. What do I do? If Ten Forward has an issue... it's going to be my daughter's problem.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Well, I heard back from ETI and it looks like there is a 5.0 in the Dallas area. My brother lives is Fort Worth so this might work out sometime. Yea!!!

Loren, I loved your story. I'm for northwest Missouri and my parents were from KC Missouri. So I know you are not that far. I may ask if we could to see yours sometime if we are back up in that area.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ALL brands of all-molded-towables are great. There isn't one, that if it fit my budget and wants, I wouldn't take over some stick built. I keep hearing about exposed wood floors in Scamps as being a bad thing. Guess what, they're not. If floors rot in any brand, it's the owners fault because of delayed maintenance. Even Casita, which is fully tubbed, I'm reading about major floor issues. There's a current thread on FiberglassRV going on right now about replacing the entire floor in that brand. Floors rot from the top down, not from the bottom up. Other than Lil Snoozy, I don't know of any brand that doesn't have some sort of vent or opening on the roof. With wall coverings, etc. and not paying attention to caulk, etc. water can run between the shell and insulation(?) for years. It may not be until the smell of mold hits the owner nose until they realize something is amiss. I love my ETI build. I honestly don't know if Escape owners take better care of their trailers or if the brand is so new we haven't heard of major, major rot issues. I'd like to believe it's because we know better. But maybe 20-30 years from now, someone will pop in and say Grand Dad's trailer has been sitting in a field for years... the floor is gone. What do I do? If Ten Forward has an issue... it's going to be my daughter's problem.
I know, right! We pay to store our PUP. It may be overkill, but we purchased one with an ABS roof without knowing the problems it caused Coleman. Ours roof is in beautiful condition, because the previous owner stored it also. The inside smells new or of campfire.

We will store our next trailer, too. Maintenance and storage are key to keeping it in good condition IMHO.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misc99 View Post
I know, right! We pay to store our PUP. It may be overkill, but we purchased one with an ABS roof without knowing the problems it caused Coleman. Ours roof is in beautiful condition, because the previous owner stored it also. The inside smells new or of campfire.

We will store our next trailer, too. Maintenance and storage are key to keeping it in good condition IMHO.
If you are so fortunate to have a place where you can store the trailer inside, it makes a big difference. I am lucky enough to be able to store our trailer in an old mined out limestone cave. It is low humidity and the temp is a constant 66 degrees F year around. It comes out looking and smelling like new and I don't even have to winterize it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #15

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I am lucky enough to be able to store our trailer in an old mined out limestone cave. It is low humidity and the temp is a constant 66 degrees F year around. It comes out looking and smelling like new and I don't even have to winterize it. Loren

I'm jealous, Loren! No limestone caves in Houston. But even if we did, they'd be full of water.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote