Hoping to put order in soon -questions about Options for 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21C
Hoping to put order in soon -questions about Options for 21C

Hi there, my husband and I are moving from camping on the water in a sailboat to land. We have the Escape 21C in mind for our new travel plan. I know some threads I’ve looked through owners have mentioned they don’t use all the options they paid for. I’d like to get an idea of what others have found useful or not. I know that in over 20 years of sailing I never used a microwave and only used the oven maybe 2doz times altogether! But we used the inverter daily .... let me know where you’ve found your money best spent on options!
We are quite excited at the prospect of designing our space to fit our needs but sometimes you just don’t know what you might need in a new scenario.
Jelly Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think inverter, microwave, and oven would be on a list of least used by most, with radio and perhaps tv ready next on that list.. On items that some wished they did get was optional windows, outside showers, foam package. Solar and dual 6 volts is quite common as is the EMS and ez winterizing and toilet shut off. Rest is up to you.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think inverter, microwave, and oven would be on a list of least used by most, with radio and perhaps tv ready next on that list.. On items that some wished they did get was optional windows, outside showers, foam package. Solar and dual 6 volts is quite common as is the EMS and ez winterizing and toilet shut off. Rest is up to you.
And the other opinion...

For us, the inverter and microwave are must own items with the foam package a never buy. It depends on your needs - not the needs of someone else. My wife loves being able to use the microwave when traveling but doesn't use an oven even at home. The foam is a pain to get around for maintenance and we don't cold camp.

On options that I would avoid. The front window on the 21' is one I wouldn't get. We set up in the bed to watch the television or read and the window would prevent this. The shelf along that wall, we deleted as well due to the same reasons. The window in the bathroom is handy but not required.

On options I bought - the jack antenna would be the only thing I wouldn't buy again. It works well but there aren't many tv stations where we tend to camp.

I would suggest taking a good look at the stuff you use at home and fit those needs into your choices for your trailer. Do you use a microwave at home? Then a good probability is that you would use one camping. Do you want to be able to stop at BLM land, Walmart parking lots, etc. while traveling? Then you will need to set your trailer up for "boondocking" - a look through past posts will get you an idea of what is needed for that.

Going by what others say is "needed" options, even my suggestions, isn't going to work - you need to decide on what options are needed for your style of camping.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As many have said to similar questions, it depends on your camping & traveling styles. There are members of this forum that rarely camp without, at least, electrical hookups. In that case, an inverter is useless. As to an oven, again, it depends. In my case I moved from a 17B to a 21 primarily for the ability to have an oven. I use mine 3-4 times a week. Microwave? while some don't use it, for others it is essential.

If you camp without hookups, the oven and inverter become useful. Not essential, but you are not going to be using a large toaster oven even on an inverter. In my case, I dry camp most of the winter, 3-4 months without hookups. I use the inverter most mornings to make a pot of drip coffee. I know there are other ways (I used a Melitta cone for years of tent camping, and before adding an inverter to my 17), but I prefer the simplicity of the drip coffee maker. I use the microwave on the inverter at times, make toast in a pop up toaster, and recharge camera and well as other battery packs. For my style of travel, the inverter is essential, enough that I changed to a pair of lithium batteries.

No TV (I added a second solar panel in place of the TV antenna) but a good radio is important to me. I like to listen to NPR & classical stations, both of which are often difficult to find in the fringes. I added my own, choosing it for FM sensitivity.

One point - your style of camping may change. I started spending most of my time is state & commercial parks with hookups. While I still do while traveling, I spend far more time in dry campsites than in the past. Adding an inverter after purchase is not a difficult enterprise, although making it "whole house" is more than many would want to get into.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

Thank you all for your perspectives. We will discuss and consider all of these points. We are also considering an Axle lift and 2 stairs. Wonder if with dry camping this is a must have?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Smile

tdf TX, What is "cold camping"
Old 07-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #7

Anyone know if an Axle lift is possible after the fact? Can it be done at a later date? Can’t call Escape today to ask as it’s Sunday and we’re looking at a used one
Old 07-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
And now for something completely different!

If you are counting your pennies, this advice is not for you. I had to for a very long time, and this would not even enter my orbit at that point. Now it does!

Escape trailers are cheap! Really cheap. Look around, not much in this price range. When I saw that, I nearly fell over backwards. I'm not made of money, but we budgeted wisely. I make mistakes, but everyone does. I aim high. And I do not like to "erase in the field"! It's expensive and it wrecks trips. Plus the factory gets everything (mostly) right at the time of install, with a warranty. So do it up front! ALL OF IT!

Should you worry about weight? No, you have one of the lightest trailers in the class. They are designed very well. The whole design is miserly! Just be smart!

What about taking more than you need? My needs change with age. I didn't even need a trailer let alone a tent for many years. Now I do. This is not a "Spring Chicken" club! Some people choose not to get a 5.0TA because of the stair issue that can occur later in life. Good on you mate! Smart too!

I put everything in and I do not have to worry about second solar panels, which side the shower is on, do I have enough battery, did I get factory reinforcing, etc...

Once we wrote the check, it was done. I do not miss the money! In the Rockies, which I live at the base of, you cannot use a radio ever! You can't even use one in town and we are at the base. So no radio, except I have a portable one.

For me, it is important to make sure I do not have limitations. I have been out every third week since I was 26. Now I am 62. I know how to do this and what I like. And I realize that is a moving target. I like options too. I like to react to the weather and change course to take total advantage of whatever is about to happen. We all do. You find new uses and new ways to use your equipment as you go. Knowledge and options = power!

And now I found a way to pump copious amounts of water in the unit, use the exterior shower and have LOooooong showers (10 gallons per shower) with our water heater and exterior shower room and bypass the gray water tank. With just propane. What a dope, this took me a month to figure out. And I have two ways to do it, one of which does not require the trailer at all.

If you can, do not skimp! This opens the fun all the way!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
tdf TX, What is "cold camping"
I hear you. I found out what it was when I went to pick up my new trailer in Sumas in January 2017. Swore I'd never do that again.

What the heck is all this white stuff!
What happened to my water hose last night - it's hard as a rock and won't let water through!
All this glassy clear stuff on the road sure is slick!
What do you mean, "chains required".
Will we make it down south before we run out of propane?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I hear you. I found out what it was when I went to pick up my new trailer in Sumas in January 2017. Swore I'd never do that again.

What the heck is all this white stuff!
What happened to my water hose last night - it's hard as a rock and won't let water through!
All this glassy clear stuff on the road sure is slick!
What do you mean, "chains required".
Will we make it down south before we run out of propane?
One of my active duty stints was done in Alaska. We had to go to the field in Jan to see how equipment would perform in really cold weather. Big Tok Junction. around 40 below most of the time. No More!

Was supposed to have glacier training but weaseled out of it every time! Who would fight over a glacier?

I remember my Sumas trip. I saw those chains required signs on a lot of the roads up that way. My trip was August so no cold.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Anyone know if an Axle lift is possible after the fact? Can it be done at a later date?
Yes. It is just a spacer kit. Any competent shop could do it.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-02.html
Old 07-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Kinda small item yet is worth considering. In a 21 with U shape dinette they put the batteries in the rear passenger corner and it is a Bear to check & full the dual 6 volt batteries. Ours were placed in under the passenger side dinette cushion closest to the kitchen wall.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Kinda small item yet is worth considering. In a 21 with U shape dinette they put the batteries in the rear passenger corner and it is a Bear to check & full the dual 6 volt batteries. Ours were placed in under the passenger side dinette cushion closest to the kitchen wall.
Definitely a problem for my 2017 21, and one of the reasons I switched to lithium batteries, although adding a watering system helped. I believe they have switched to a side by side box rather than the end to end version I had, which moves access to both batteries to under the rear seat rather than tucked into the corner.

I would recommend getting a split rear seat to make access easier. Removing the full width cushion is a PIA.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #14

Well I can’t thank you all enough for your input. Amazingly in the last 24 hours I found a 2015 21C on this forum nearby. We drove out to see it and we made our deposit on it ! We pick it up Friday. I can hardly believe it ...
very Excited !
It’s loaded with almost everything we had imagined and if we need to add a few things so be it. I couldn’t have planned a better outcome.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Well I can’t thank you all enough for your input. Amazingly in the last 24 hours I found a 2015 21C on this forum nearby. We drove out to see it and we made our deposit on it ! We pick it up Friday. I can hardly believe it ...
very Excited !
It’s loaded with almost everything we had imagined and if we need to add a few things so be it. I couldn’t have planned a better outcome.
Congrats, now the fun begins.........
Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I would recommend getting a split rear seat to make access easier. Removing the full width cushion is a PIA.
Ditto that (if you get the U-shaped Dinette)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

And now I found a way to pump copious amounts of water in the unit, use the exterior shower and have LOooooong showers (10 gallons per shower) with our water heater and exterior shower room and bypass the gray water tank. With just propane. What a dope, this took me a month to figure out. And I have two ways to do it, one of which does not require the trailer at all.
UncleTim - Really liked your post and approach! That's more or less what we are thinking.

I had a question on the exterior shower room and other exterior shower ideas you mention? We are planning to get the exterior shower anyway but I had seen anything about the exterior shower room. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks a lot!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
UncleTim - Really liked your post and approach! That's more or less what we are thinking.

I had a question on the exterior shower room and other exterior shower ideas you mention? We are planning to get the exterior shower anyway but I had seen anything about the exterior shower room. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks a lot!
I'm not UncleTim but I can tell you what we use the outside shower for. It makes a great outdoor kitchen area. We had Escape install the outside shower on the passenger side next to the door and we set up a table underneath it for our camp stove and wash pan. Works well for this.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I'm not UncleTim but I can tell you what we use the outside shower for. It makes a great outdoor kitchen area. We had Escape install the outside shower on the passenger side next to the door and we set up a table underneath it for our camp stove and wash pan. Works well for this.
We do similar - outdoor sink area
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #20

Yes we also use the curb side as an outside sink. That said we also has one installed on the driver side, which the E21 is towards the front. I found the hose would not reach the entire front on the E21 so we had another shower installed on the driver side by the front hatch. Using hot water helps to hose of a lot of road debris, particularly if you got stuck behind a manure spreader............eekkk....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1111.jpg  

Tags
21c, options