How to decide? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We’ve had our 17B since 2017 after camping for about 10 years in a 10 foot CampInn teardrop trailer. We thought the 17 B would be enough; we’ve enjoyed it but looking at things now I would get a 19. Key for us is the bed. If you’ve got to crawl over at night, why not crawl over in a queen size bed with a 19?

We didn’t grasp that with a tear drop you’re still comfort tent camping in a sense. It was an enclosed Queen bed on wheels (with doors on either side so no night crawling!) and a nice little kitchen under its tail gate. Great with good weather; but when that got bad, it’s like tenting.

Now we’re looking at moving to 5.0 instead.
Enjoy!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #22

Trailer: None yet
Wow. Judging by this thread, it seems like twofootitis is as contagious as COVID.

On the surface, the difference between the 17b and the 19 is ~$4,500, ~ 1,000 lbs (so maybe a bigger TV), a second axle, a wider aisle, and a bigger bed. Some of these you can decide on paper, but the rest is just 'feel'. Lots of stories of trading up, none on trading down. Maybe the financial stretch is worth it right from the start. These things hold their value so the trading up later isn't too bad. Ultimately, if you can't be in the one you love, love the one you're in.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
How to decide?

We purchased a 17B in 2011. My priority was the trailer had to fit on the side of our house - I wanted it stored on our own property but did not want it in my front yard, for my sake as well as my neighbour’s. We paved a 40’ driveway down the side for it - this year we plan to extend that to our back fence line and erect a steel carport. We wanted a single axle because of manoeuvrability - We only have 10’ of width on that side of our house so wanted something we could push in and out. My husband mostly uses the trailer - his needs were the higher axle and the ability to park in tight spaces - he usually boon-docks while fishing or hunting. With the 17B, he can pretty well go in anywhere. His buddies, not so - they all have 30’+ stick trailers. He may be small but he’s mighty when it comes to setting up! I think many people start out small and for various reasons, some need to move up in size but for us, the 17B seems to fit our needs.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21'
We went straight from a tent to a 21, 2 years ago. We are retired, just the 2 of us, with a medium size dog. Main reason? A little more room than the 19', and we didn't care for the bed setup in the 19'. We are both comfortable pulling it, even though we had never pulled a trailer before. You will enjoy either one you get.
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Firstly, you won't go wrong with an Escape no matter which size you get. Doug and I started out with a 2006 17'. We loved it. We too were done with tenting and found the Escape to be just what we needed. We moved to the 19' in 2011 to get the double axle and I wanted an oven in the galley. We were fortunate that the manufacturers, at the time, were willing to change the interior and replace the permanent bed with a dinette similar to the 17'. Best wishes. Hoping to see you on the trail - if you come to B.C.
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
How big your trailer needs to be is dependent on how you want to use it. Our 17B is for sleeping, and is perfect for us. Just got back from a weekend with our 17 and 19 year old boys, plus our German Shepherd Dog. 10 years with this trailer, and still love it. Tows like a dream, no mirror extensions required, and 13.3 litres/100 km (about 18mpg), with our Highlander. Life is good, and my wife has no problem driving.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 ft
Our friends had the 17 ft and we ordered the 19 ft for the double axle. Not a lot of difference but we ordered the booth table and still like it. Were considering upgrading to 22 ft but decided to keep the 19 ft as it tows well behind our Explorer.
Weluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote