Howdy from Virginia! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Howdy from Virginia!

We are new to RVing! I am a classic tent camper, but after moving away from home in the fingerlakes of NY and living in OR we are now in VA. Oh my I need AC now and have started looking into trailers. After much research we decided on Escape.

We are looking for a used trailer now due to years long wait times on new.

What advice can you provide when we look at used trailers? Things to look out for and questions to ask. We are newbies and need the advice.

Thanks so much. Can’t wait to join the Escape tribe officially when we get a new trailer.
Tumbleweed1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you can find an owner near where you live you could visit them and learn a lot about their experiences with their Escape, how they outfit their rig and what they bought thinking they would need but don’t. They could also point out problems they may have had and any routine maintenance they’ve done on their rig. I have had conversations with new owners who did had questions but did not want to let in that they were rookies. Most Escape Owners are willing to share about anything when it comes to camping experiences. A request on this forum or visiting a couple rallies would be time well spent. Just my take, Your Mileage May Vary. That’s YMMV from Donna D. We were all rookies once. At 73 I am trying to learn every day yet.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Hello and welcome! My advice is to scoop up that 2010 19 that is 30 miles from you! Not trying to dismiss your questions but if you wait it will be gone. Escapes are solid trailers and resale is always good so really not much risk. Quite rare to see them come up for sale on the east coast.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Hello and welcome! My advice is to scoop up that 2010 19 that is 30 miles from you! Not trying to dismiss your questions but if you wait it will be gone. Escapes are solid trailers and resale is always good so really not much risk. Quite rare to see them come up for sale on the east coast.
For sure I agree! We are looking at it Wednesday and hope to snatch it up! I know it is rare for them to pop up on the east coast, but also don’t want to fly in blind. I haven’t heard of any major issues with ETI this my desire to get one. This forum has been invaluable to learn.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If you can find an owner near where you live you could visit them and learn a lot about their experiences with their Escape, how they outfit their rig and what they bought thinking they would need but don’t. They could also point out problems they may have had and any routine maintenance they’ve done on their rig. I have had conversations with new owners who did had questions but did not want to let in that they were rookies. Most Escape Owners are willing to share about anything when it comes to camping experiences. A request on this forum or visiting a couple rallies would be time well spent. Just my take, Your Milage May Vary. That’s YMMV from Donna D. We were all rookies once. At 73 I am trying to learn every day yet.
Iowa Dave

Thanks Iowa Dave!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1313 View Post
For sure I agree! We are looking at it Wednesday and hope to snatch it up! I know it is rare for them to pop up on the east coast, but also don’t want to fly in blind. I haven’t heard of any major issues with ETI this my desire to get one. This forum has been invaluable to learn.
If you want some more info on the 2010 19 see these archived for sale threads. The current owner bought it from David (DavidGlen) in PA late 2019. David bought it from Mike (michaelt0120) in Illinois in early 2018 who bought it from Adam (Webby54) in Ohio in 2016. Adam bought it from the original owners Paul & Janet (fudge_brownie) in 2014.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...19-a-2773.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...00-a-7260.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...rea-12331.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...fer-16362.html

It appears from the photos to be in great shape and that it was stored indoors for most of its life. Also from experience I can say that the appliances in the older Escapes seem to be less problematic. It has the Dometic RM2510 fridge, Atwood 8012-II furnace and Atwood DV20 cooktop....very dependable overall.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
If you want some more info on the 2010 19 see these archived for sale threads. The current owner bought it from David (DavidGlen) in PA late 2019. David bought it from Mike (michaelt0120) in Illinois in early 2018 who bought it from Adam (Webby54) in Ohio in 2016. Adam bought it from the original owners Paul & Janet (fudge_brownie) in 2014.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...19-a-2773.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...00-a-7260.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...rea-12331.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...fer-16362.html

It appears from the photos to be in great shape and that it was stored indoors for most of its life. Also from experience I can say that the appliances in the older Escapes seem to be less problematic. It has the Dometic RM2510 fridge, Atwood 8012-II furnace and Atwood DV20 cooktop....very dependable overall.

wow master investigator! Thank you so much.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I am proud to be able to say we have camped with two of the previous owners on several occasions (Paul and David). Both of these people are excellent campers with attention to maintenance and detail and to my knowledge still Escape Owners. We had a 2010 that we bought as second owners and it was an excellent and outstanding trailer. Built with attention to detail and owned with pride. I have no doubt that these Escapes could easily be 40 or 50 year trailers just like my daughters 1974 Boler.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
We are looking at it Wednesday and hope to snatch it up! I know it is rare for them to pop up on the east coast, but also don’t want to fly in blind.
So how did it go? Are you a soon-to-be Escape owner?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
So how did it go? Are you a soon-to-be Escape owner?
Oh my gosh I sure hope so! Driving home now from seeing it this evening. It is perfect for our family and Alan was so super nice and informative.

Calling the bank to get the loan tomorrow! Will post pics when it hopefully comes and lives with us.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #11

Excited for you! Hopefully Alan is holding it for you in good faith while you sort out the financials.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape #2 2021 21NE pulled by '20 Toyota Tundra
It is indeed being held for her, and if things go as planned, Kim's "new" Escape will be parked in her driveway sometime this weekend! I hope she and her family have lots of good times with this classic Escape!

Alan
miataone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataone View Post
It is indeed being held for her, and if things go as planned, Kim's "new" Escape will be parked in her driveway sometime this weekend! I hope she and her family have lots of good times with this classic Escape!
Alan
Alan: It sounds like you are going to be making a family very happy with that beautiful classic 19. Best of luck with the sale and enjoy your upcoming 21NE!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
Quote:
We are new to RVing! I am a classic tent camper, but after moving away from home in the fingerlakes of NY and living in OR we are now in VA. Oh my I need AC now and have started looking into trailers. After much research we decided on Escape.

I see you're in Bluemont. Where abouts, if you don't mind me asking. We're in CO now, but moved from there. Our mailing address was Bluemont, but we actually lived in Clarke County, between the Shenandoah and the base of the Blue Ridge. I'll always miss it. It truly is God's country. And yes, you'll definitely need that AC. I came to the conclusion that Mint Juleps were created because there are some days in the summer in Virginia when all you can do is sit on the veranda and sip a cool Mint Julep.
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Oh my gosh I sure hope so! Driving home now from seeing it this evening. It is perfect for our family and Alan was so super nice and informative.

Calling the bank to get the loan tomorrow! Will post pics when it hopefully comes and lives with us.
So it sounds like it’s officially based on the for sale thread moved to archive. Is this beautiful 2010 now in your driveway?!
Old 04-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
So it sounds like it’s officially based on the for sale thread moved to archive. Is this beautiful 2010 now in your driveway?!
Yes!!!

And Alan was a huge help in educating us on it!
Attached Thumbnails
A92E7A5E-1592-4CEF-907F-9F9E44764F67.jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentHillman View Post
I see you're in Bluemont. Where abouts, if you don't mind me asking. We're in CO now, but moved from there. Our mailing address was Bluemont, but we actually lived in Clarke County, between the Shenandoah and the base of the Blue Ridge. I'll always miss it. It truly is God's country. And yes, you'll definitely need that AC. I came to the conclusion that Mint Juleps were created because there are some days in the summer in Virginia when all you can do is sit on the veranda and sip a cool Mint Julep.
We are near the Mt Weather facility! Love CO tho!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes!!!

And Alan was a huge help in educating us on it!
Congrats! You guys are going to have great fun in that Escape. With those kids it would be nice if it was cot ready. Not mentioned in for sale add but may have just been a forgotten/ never used option for previous owners. Check for four wood blocks glassed in under the front side windows. Hard to tell from the pictures from the old for sale threads but there does appear to be a slight bulge in the wall covering in the attached photo. If so, you should be able to order a cot from Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
6EC3F8E1-A30D-4E04-9546-4B68B356052D.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #19

It didn’t come with a solar panel but has an exterior plug and I wanted to get a solar suitcase. Does anyone of the previous owners know if I need the polarity reversed on the solar port or has it been done already? Does it already have a built in controller for the solar port?

I plan on boondocking so was needing some form of battery recharge on the fly. I figured since previous owners used solar maybe the port was already reversed and some sort of system was installed for the battery to solar monitoring. Easy fix if not. If anyone has tips on where and how to check I can start there.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Check it

With your 12V battery switched on, it would seem that you could check the DC voltage and polarity at your exterior plug with a multi-meter. Once ascertained, mark the polarity some way.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, camping, newbie, virginia