I am a fan! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Hi cpaharley2008, yes we figured out how to do that last year when we started looking at the Escape. The door was stopping lower than the opening by about 4 inches but now we have it setup to completely clear of the opening. So yeah the 7'10" height is pretty much fixed...
akoaoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My only addition to this thread is to actually measure the trailer when you get it. Put a straight 2"X2" on top of the AC (or what ever is highest) put a level on that, and once you are holding it level, measure down to the ground. With both the high lift axle, a cell antenna & AC, my 17B just fits under 9'-6" clearance.

While you can do some tricks to fit it into a garage, once on the road knowing the exact height becomes important. Even our comparatively low trailers can find even lower overhangs!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #23

Hi you all wonderful Escapees! I just want to let you guys know that I have been lurking as much as I can manage and we put down a deposit on a 17B!

We still have storage and clearance issue. We still have the 2 kids. And we will be doing everything to help us lower the trailer and figuring out how to have 4 people coexist in small space.

The build sheet is due in 1 week and we are going stock with most of the options. This is our first travel trailer and we will be doing some traveling with it in addition to camping (Olympic Peninsula oh how I miss you!). We are now weekenders mostly. School and work are in our future as far as I can see. For the most part, the 17B will be a cozy, "easy up" hard side tent for us. We frankly cannot tell what else we will need until we live it a little. Now only if I can stop getting ideas from this forum!

Thank you for all the fun and informative posts!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We bought a 2010 17B used and the previous owner had ETI lower it some to fit in his garage. I see the notation on the build sheet and there was no charge(at least then). So check to see how much is possible. AC is a personal choice, however we decided not to get one as they are pre-wired to drop one in later if one wants to, and we never missed it using the 17B over 100 nights in 9 months. The only downside to that is not being able to have a digital thermostat to control both heater & AC and a few benefits associated with that option.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #25

A/C is out of the question with our clearance concern. I know the trailer is going to fit through the garage door because Reace is going to make the Maxx Fan removable. I just hope we don't need to do that!

Last year we towed our popup to San Francisco where we stopped at Red Bluff and spent a night. I remembered the daytime temp is about 120 and nighttime around 90. We slept rather comfortable in the popup in that temperature. I know a popup is no comparison to a hard-side trailer in terms of heat retention/insulation. But we did learn that heat to that degree didn't bother us *too* much.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
... AC is a personal choice, however we decided not to get one as they are pre-wired to drop one in later if one wants to, ...
At the risk of possible overkill, we decided not only to skip the AC (did order the pre-wire), but to have Reace install a second Maxx Fan in the AC hole. Our thinking is that by having one fan blowing in and one blowing out, we should be able to tolerate the hot nights.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We were going to do that as well but like having the standard vent instead as it is like having a skylight in the kitchen area. One can add a fan later too if needed as wiring is all there.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #28

Not sure how recent was the change but now the 17B comes standard with a power bathroom vent/fan. Along with the range hood and Maxx Fan I have a feeling there will be plenty enough air movement inside the unit. If we can find a nice, low profile, and weather tight cover for the Maxx Fan opening we may remove it completely and see how it feels on muggy days. Right now I concern more about condensation inside the trailer. In the past, even on the driest summer day we managed to wake up with dampness in our popup mattresses. Managing condensation in a hard side would be slightly different, I imagine.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
I know the trailer is going to fit through the garage door because Reace is going to make the Maxx Fan removable.
That's a good idea. Fortunately, it's easy: just a matter of making the electrical connection a plug-in rather than hard-wired. As I recall from my own installation, the unit mounts on the base with just a couple of screws on each side. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but for the occasional trip or seasonal storage it wouldn't be too bad... as long as you can reach over the roof from each side (something suitable to stand on is key). You might even be able to put a quarter-turn quick-release fastener (such as a Dzus) in place of each screw, if there's enough clearance.

Here are a couple of images from the installation instructions:
Attached Thumbnails
MaxxFan-mounting.jpg   MaxxFan-screws.jpg  
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
... a power bathroom vent/fan. Along with the range hood and Maxx Fan ...
I've been told the Maxx fax on low is actually quiet enough to run at night.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The issue with removing and reinstalling the fan is the screws. They are metal screws in plastic and will wear out the hole so to speak. I switched out my 19' cover for a smoke lens and while installing that thought crossed my mind, these screws have a fixed number of removals before the holes get stripped.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #32

Thanks for the link Brian! That's exactly what will be done -- the connection will be a plug-in instead of hardwired. The Dzus is a great idea I shall be forwarding to ETI.

Alan, I didn't even think too much about noise... we have a Fantastic fan right now (and one heavy snorer...). A Maxx Fan can't be worst, can it?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Actually I find the Maxx Fan is noisier then the fantastic fan we had in the last trailer.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #34

Hi Jim, thanks for the note! I too have concern about that. We don't plan to remove and install the fan for every trip. That's why our plan A is to keep our fingers cross that the trailer will fit without taking the Maxx Fan down. Plan B is to replace the fan with just a low profile cover if we can find one. Plan C... nada. But we don't want to build the unit without the Fan as I think the next owner would appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I've been told the Maxx fax on low is actually quiet enough to run at night.

--
Alan
I've run mine at night on low--no problem for me.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The issue with removing and reinstalling the fan is the screws. They are metal screws in plastic and will wear out the hole so to speak. I switched out my 19' cover for a smoke lens and while installing that thought crossed my mind, these screws have a fixed number of removals before the holes get stripped.
I'm not sure about changing just the cover, but the screws that hold the whole unit into the base run into clipped-on sheet metal nuts (you can see the silver-coloured nuts clipped over the edge of the white plastic base in the first photo) - they don't thread into plastic. I'm sure that Airxcel wasn't thinking that these screws would be removed and replaced dozens of times, but fortunately the clipped-on nuts would be easy to replace if eventually necessary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #37

I actually have more concern about the fan on the furnace. The furnace on my current popup is rather inferior and I quit using it because of the noise.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The Maxx fan is quite quiet on low setting. The new powered vents ETI is putting in the bathrooms are much noisier than the Maxx fan, I wouldn't want to leave it on all night.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi you all wonderful Escapees! I just want to let you guys know that I have been lurking as much as I can manage and we put down a deposit on a 17B!
Hi fellow Portlander. Too cool another Escape coming to town!

I know you said you won't be camping during school days, but if you have a chance to make it even just for Sat/Sun... come join us at L.L. Stub Stewart the end of April. Great group of folks and lots are Escape owners. Get all the details here: 2015 Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering April 23-26, 2015
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #40

Hi Donna

Sounds like a fun event! There is actually no school on 4/24 and I look forward to meet Ten Forward! But we may use that weekend to pick up our 17B I'll let you know once we figure it out.