Is the Ford Ranger enough.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2023, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape
Is the Ford Ranger enough....

Hello! My wife and I are getting ready for retirement. Our plans are to order a new Escape trailer and hit the road. We have a new Ranger ordered, expecting it to arrive in another month or so.
We have personally viewed the 19 and 21 foot units and are very impressed with the build quality. As much as we like the extra room the 21 brings we are uncertain whether or not the Ranger is enough truck for the job.
Are there any owners here that have experience towing with the Ranger?
RedRiderCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
one thing to consider is what options you plan on having. depending on options it's possible to have 21 that weighs less than a 19 with more options. I assume you picked the ranger over the f150 because you like the convivence of a smaller truck. you may like the convivence of the smaller 19 also. I am sure some ranger owners will jump in and help out. But I would pick the camper you like and then decide on truck.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Picking up my new Ranger on Thursday. I can't tell you yet how it handles towing my 19 but I am confident that it will work well. The payload and towing specs are better than the 20 year old V8 Tundra that it is replacing.
In various campgrounds I have talked to Ranger owners that were towing larger trailers than mine and never had anyone suggest that the Ranger wasn't enough truck for the job.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
These threads should help. You'll see in the first thread where I shared that Viator36 (Jake) tows his 2019 21C with a 2019 Ranger. He has been cross-country at least twice with the rig. If you can PM him I'm sure he would share his real-world experience.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ger-18939.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ger-18054.html
Old 03-15-2023, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21c
Ford Ranger tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderCan View Post
Hello! My wife and I are getting ready for retirement. Our plans are to order a new Escape trailer and hit the road. We have a new Ranger ordered, expecting it to arrive in another month or so.
We have personally viewed the 19 and 21 foot units and are very impressed with the build quality. As much as we like the extra room the 21 brings we are uncertain whether or not the Ranger is enough truck for the job.
We have a 2020 ford Ranger crew cab and a 2021 21c which we toured the east coast with the first year and then to Alaska last summer. I love that truck it pulls the 21 like a dream with more than enough power and the ten speed tranny really smooths out the shifting. We have the four cylinder turbo motor and it accelerates up hill no problem.
I like to tow at around 60mph to get the best gas mileage . We averaged 15.1 miles per gallon on our Alaska trip. And when not towing we get around 22-24 mpg.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Welcome to the forum. I live in Poco and am in the ambassador program. I tow our 19 with a Tacoma using a weight distribution hitch. If you would like to see a mid size truck set up, pm me and we can arrange a visit.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
We have a 21C, but we are towing with a 2011 F150 XLT. It has a payload of 1363lb, all the other numbers seemed well within what we needed to tow safely, but on our first trip out, we stopped at a weigh station, and low and behold, we had exceeded that payload, just with the two of us (300lb) and the usual camping gear. It seems it is easy to tot up a lot of cargo, in our case we have a topper over the bed, but beyond that, not too much stuff really, nor too many fancy options in the truck, although it did have 4X4 and skid plates which adds weight. We shifted some heavier stuff to the trailer, and didn't have any problems, and the truck certainly was not struggling before we did that, however the brakes, suspension etc of the truck are designed for that maximum, so exceeding it is a matter of risk and maybe early wear of those components. That was quite an eye-opener. Of course we saw loads of smaller trucks than ours towing bigger trailers than ours, and likely their drivers said all was fine, but they are probably over their limits and therefore less safe than they could be, and possibly at some legal risk if they do have an accident. See what your Ranger's payload is, figure 15% of the trailer's max for hitch weight, then load up and find a scale. You might be surprised!
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I tow a couple of months at a time. I have a very heavy 19. We are usually around 4600lbs and I fill the truck with water, gas, generator, solar panel, tools, chairs, grill etc. I have gone up and down 15% grades no problem. I have a SCAB XLT with 1823lbs payload. This truck and trailer are a great combo.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Always good to consider payload and tow rating before buying a tow vehicle however for some reason the newer Ford Rangers have really good payloads depending on trim level 2wd vs 4wd etc. I found a chart of payloads for the 2020 Ranger and it is from 1,609lbs to 2,128lbs.

It wasn't Ford but something called autopadre.com

https://www.autopadre.com/payload/ford-ranger
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
These threads should help. You'll see in the first thread where I shared that Viator36 (Jake) tows his 2019 21C with a 2019 Ranger. He has been cross-country at least twice with the rig. If you can PM him I'm sure he would share his real-world experience.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ger-18939.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ger-18054.html

I posted this message about my impressions of our Ford Ranger performance back in 2019 on our trip back home after picking up our 21C. Hope it could be helpful. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post291238
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
A lot of the decision should be is it a daily driver or just to tow. We have very bad gas mileage 3/4 ton and it’s only to tow, and it does it beautifully. Also where are you going to tow ? Western and Canadian mountains ? Might be better for a supercab 2.7 turbo f 150. Low optioned I’d expect the price about the same. That said tow vehicles have two concerns to me, the engine towing, but at least as important the stopping power. Any turbo won’t give you much engine braking, so the brakes are really important. How well does the turbo ranger stop a 21 that’s loaded, I’m sure someone will chime in.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #12

I have a ‘21 Ranger. Around 15mpg towing. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Tows in the mountains just fine. 15% grades up and down. An equivalent F150 when I bought mine was about 10K more. Same transmission in Ranger, and Ford and GMC 1/2 tons. As far as engine braking the 10 speed tranny in tow haul does just fine. Also you can still manually lock out gear’s anytime you want. It works great with near capacity in the truck and my 4700lbs trailer. I have a GCWR of around 11,700lbs and have no problems. I only have about 230 days with the trailer so far, but it’s been fine.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
We are towing our 2017 19 escape with a 2021 Ranger FX-4 and it does so very well. I have towed it on some very steep grades in the Serria's without any problems. This is also my everyday driver and love the smaller truck for parking and commuting. I had a F 250 before and find no need for a full-size truck when towing these particular trailers due to their light weight.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
I owned a 4 cylinder non-turbo Ford Ranger for many years before getting our Escape 21C in 2016. Sweet truck with great gas mileage but definitely under powered for interstate travel or towing a trailer.

You may want to also consider gas tank capacity. I just googled it and a 2021 Ford Ranger has a 18 gallon tank. I'm skeptical you will get 15 MPH while towing going 65 MPH or greater due to wind resistance but if you did, that's a range of 270 miles. Is that enough? You will have to decide.

We have a 2012 F150 3.5 liter, 6 cylinder turbo with a 35 gallon tank and average 12 MPH at 65 MPH (uphill/downhill, with/against wind, etc.). Range with those parameters is 420 miles which would give you at least another two hours of drive time capacity.

If I were to purchase a newer truck I'd look for the F150 2.7 liter engine, otherwise I love our F150 for towing / travelling, it provides a very stable and comfortable ride.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #15

The gas tank on my Ranger is 19 gallons even though it says 18. I have gotten a low of 11.74 mpg, and highs in the low 20’s towing. I really do get 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 most of the time. I got 16.2 coming home today on the tank, and all towing. That’s not anything special for mileage. When it gets really cold, below freezing, I do see 13 1/2 to 14 1/2 somewhat often, but also see 16+ often. The gas tank size on the Ranger was my biggest concern buying it. I keep 5 gallons of gas and a generator in the bed. I’ve never been short in the Ranger. I’ve driven it over the southwest where gas can be a distance. I have not yet taken this truck back to Alaska, but I’m sure I will. I know what it’s like in the northern Yukon off the AlCan, and I’m sure the Ranger will be fine.

I go 60, not 65. That’s my personal safety belief. I’ve towed that way with many RV’s and other trailers, and used all kinds of vehicles to do it for many years. So I do not know what mileage would be at 65.

There were reasons I did not want another full size truck besides the fact I already have one. I have no doubt the Ranger can tow anything in ETI’s current production. This last trip was 57 days and that’s not uncommon for us with the E19 and Ranger.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
The gas tank on my Ranger is 19 gallons even though it says 18. I have gotten a low of 11.74 mpg, and highs in the low 20’s towing. I really do get 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 most of the time. I got 16.2 coming home today on the tank, and all towing. That’s not anything special for mileage. When it gets really cold, below freezing, I do see 13 1/2 to 14 1/2 somewhat often, but also see 16+ often. The gas tank size on the Ranger was my biggest concern buying it. I keep 5 gallons of gas and a generator in the bed. I’ve never been short in the Ranger. I’ve driven it over the southwest where gas can be a distance. I have not yet taken this truck back to Alaska, but I’m sure I will. I know what it’s like in the northern Yukon off the AlCan, and I’m sure the Ranger will be fine.

I go 60, not 65. That’s my personal safety belief. I’ve towed that way with many RV’s and other trailers, and used all kinds of vehicles to do it for many years. So I do not know what mileage would be at 65.

There were reasons I did not want another full size truck besides the fact I already have one. I have no doubt the Ranger can tow anything in ETI’s current production. This last trip was 57 days and that’s not uncommon for us with the E19 and Ranger.
I second towing slow, my sweet spot is 62.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Towing is one thing, handling emergency situations especially if the weather or highway conditions are unfavorable is another. I believe the weight of a Ranger and a 19-21ft Escape trailer are close to equal. I'd wager any safety capacity of the Ranger is pretty well maxed out with a trailer equal in weight to the truck. Doubt there is room for error in dry weather let alone rain, snow or a highway speed swerve or emergency stop. All of which I've had. Crosswinds are another reason for a heavier vehicle.
Don't think this stuff won't happen. Even though I'm towing a smaller 17B Escape I still went with a heavy duty F150. By heavy duty I mean 4x4, max tow and max payload options. The capacities are greater for fuel and safety plus the truck weighs at least a third more than the trailer. The gas mileage at 60-65 is still 12-15mpg. And as a daily driver I've gotten as high as 27mpg with the 3.5l Ecoboost.

I say this from experience. I've had snow, ice or other drivers bring on emergency situations where I was really glad I had a heavy vehicle. And even with the F150 and a small trailer I tow with a weight distribution hitch. Just my two cents worth.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Probably an unpopular opinion but in my view 4x4 is way overrated for safety. Sure if you are really stuck in a super slippery hole it will help you get going, but then what? It doesn't help you stop any faster. In really dicey conditions 4x4 Lock could conceivably "pull" you through a tight corner but what on earth are you doing out in this conditions. The cost, complexity, and weight and fuel mileage penalties don't justify it unless you use the truck for some other constant low traction conditions. 2WD and a locking rear diff will get you going when slippery. What is crucial is tires, don't skimp on having good snow tires if you are out in the winter. We have just come back from Chilliwack with our new 19 and survived a harrowing day in northern Ontario in very bad weather. Jackknifes, road closures, no plows. Once we realized the situation the solution was to ride it out off highway. YMMV. My background learning to drive a 1967 Delta 88 with bias-belted tires in ski country and then 12 years in long haul trucking is probably a factor in my view.

Edit - Top speed for me towing 105km/hr 63 mph. The boost to 110km/hr dramatically affects mpg. (3.55 gears)
Ynnde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnde View Post
Probably an unpopular opinion but in my view 4x4 is way overrated for safety. Sure if you are really stuck in a super slippery hole it will help you get going, but then what? It doesn't help you stop any faster. In really dicey conditions 4x4 Lock could conceivably "pull" you through a tight corner but what on earth are you doing out in this conditions. The cost, complexity, and weight and fuel mileage penalties don't justify it unless you use the truck for some other constant low traction conditions. 2WD and a locking rear diff will get you going when slippery. What is crucial is tires, don't skimp on having good snow tires if you are out in the winter. We have just come back from Chilliwack with our new 19 and survived a harrowing day in northern Ontario in very bad weather. Jackknifes, road closures, no plows. Once we realized the situation the solution was to ride it out off highway. YMMV. My background learning to drive a 1967 Delta 88 with bias-belted tires in ski country and then 12 years in long haul trucking is probably a factor in my view.

I agree with you on all! I lived in New England for almost 30 yrs & never owned a 4x4 truck(a 1980 Toy & F150s with toppers & a E250 the longest. All 2x4 vehicles). 23 yrs 3/4 of a mile down a non plowed dirt road, & 500 yard dirt driveway. I put the most aggressive tread on the rear only. Come a Nor-easter, a head of time, go pick up 300#(Toy) & 500# of grain in the back(on top of tools weight), in the others. (once I didn't.....I tossed 7 dogs weighting about 45# each, in the back! Worked!) If I couldn't get going, the was snow was just too high 18=22". I didn't go to work, or a few hours later(construction sites), after everyone else did. Too many crazy's out there in 4x4s not being able to stop! I did own a F250 for 14 yrs towing a 32' travel trailer & a 8' x20' cargo trailer, & building 3 houses. Can count on one hand the times I used the 4x4. But I'm back down to a Tacoma PreRunner a 2x4 truck, for pulling my E19.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #20

I’ve had an emergency stop in the Ranger with my E19. It behaved just as my 3/4 ton does. Coming off the north end bridge of the Outer Banks we had the strongest crosswinds I’ve ever had. I use an Equalizer hitch. The truck and trailer stayed aligned. They simply moved as one unit just like crosswinds with the 3/4 ton. They moved more than I’ve ever moved, but straight as an arrow. I would, could, and in some cases have, taken either truck the same places just as safely. We have driven in snow, rain, wind, mountains and seashores.

As far as 4X4, I have no use for it. The Ranger has the electronic locker, the 3/4 has limited slip. I lived in Alaska 25 years both in the north and south parts of the state. 14 of those years I had my current 2WD 3/4 ton, and did fine.

My Ranger has over 1800lbs payload, a 12,100lbs GCVWR, 750lbs tongue weight, 7500lbs towing, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a slew of safety features unimaginable a few years ago. It makes 310 ft lbs of torque at 3000 RPM on 87 octane. Once you get up around 300 ft lbs of torque at low enough RPM, you’ve got more than enough for an Escape.

If someone doesn’t want a Ranger, they should not buy one, but it is clearly up to the task of safely towing an Escape. To simply say it’s not a great tow vehicle is not true.

Is it perfect no, but I haven’t seen a vehicle yet that is. If it meets your needs, it will safely tow an Escape. If it doesn’t, buy something else. There are other midsize trucks capable as well. The Ranger best meets my needs, so I chose it and it’s been great for 26,000 miles. 20,000 of those intentionally traveling with our E19. I bought an E19 and then shopped for the right tow vehicle at the lowest cost. I already owned a C2500HD, and have been RVing with my parents and as an adult for 53 years.