July 4th is my date!!!! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Right now HF has a usuable torque wrench on sale... with a coupon for less than $10 bucks... typically close to $50. Cheap insurance. Make certain you have the correct size socket! I love Harbor Freight for cheap CRAP. Not anything you'd want to use for quality work, but that occassional use... WORKS.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21
What size of torque wrench? 1/2 or 3/8?
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I purchased a 1/2 inch, but it's still about the socket. I'm cheap, it's something I will use "occasionally," not something that I need to torque the nuts because I'm running down the drag strip. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can't recall my source for the info, but I bought the 1/2 inch torque wrench as advised.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 21
Thank you!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #86

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
This might help when torqueing lug nuts...
Good, but I just follow the formula of starting anywhere, then going to the opposite side (either of the two that are equally opposite in the case of an odd number of nuts), and just not going back to the same one again until they're all done.

Quote:
The above is for informational use only every Tug is different and every trailer is a little different based on axels used at the time and wheels etc.
True, but fortunately I believe that Escapes have all had 3500 pound capacity Dexter axles with the most common hub choice, so they all have the same number, type, and size of studs. The models with lower suspension capacity still have 3500 pound hubs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash View Post
What size of torque wrench? 1/2 or 3/8?
1/2"... a typical 3/8" torque wrench is too short, and the 1/2" drive size is better suited to finding 13/16" sockets, but most importantly the maximum torque of a 3/8" drive torque wrench is likely far too low for wheel nuts (typically only 20 lb-ft).
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good, but I just follow the formula of starting anywhere, then going to the opposite side (either of the two that are equally opposite in the case of an odd number of nuts), and just not going back to the same one again until they're all done.

True, but fortunately I believe that Escapes have all had 3500 pound capacity Dexter axles with the most common hub choice, so they all have the same number, type, and size of studs. The models with lower suspension capacity still have 3500 pound hubs.
For those of us use to doing it yes no need of a chart for those not use to it visual aides are best. I have taught many young Airman and it always worked better showing and with pictures :}

I have no way of knowing and assuming leads to bad things as we all know:} I am new to RVs but have worked on many mechanical, electronic things that even a few months difference in date of manufacture of the same model hanged the way they were repaired. Suppliers change, manufacturers change materials etc. Hence my statement of do your homework as it applies to the TUG and TRAILER owned.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #89

Quote:
I am new to RVs but have worked on many mechanical, electronic things that even a few months difference in date of manufacture of the same model hanged the way they were repaired. Suppliers change, manufacturers change materials etc.
Absolutely valid!
Fortunately - for this purpose - trailer hardware changes very slowly; there's little if anything in a typical trailer chassis (including an Escape) which wasn't well established in production fifty years ago. That doesn't stop some manufacturers from keeping their customers chasing specs by changing suppliers, but Reace has stayed consistently with Dexter axles... even of the same capacity and so the same model, as far as I know.

It's always good to check.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #90

Trailer: none
Kris, I can't wait to hear how your trip to NY went!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #91

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
First trip in Bailey was a success! After dealing with MVA and getting the license plate, a rest stop with loose lug nuts, the rest of the long drive was uneventful! The FJ (Dory) had to work a bit pulling Bailey, but nothing too crazy.
We stayed at a nice state campground in the Finger Lakes area of New York about 11 miles from the state park where my triathlon was being held.
I messed up on the installation of one of the refrigerator door shelves, because it got jammed and we could not open the fridge door - result - I busted the shelf, it still works, it just is a little broken up on one end :-(
The dog ran through the screen door after a kid, luckily we got to the dog before the dog got to the kid. I am not sure how the screen is attached to the bottom rail, but it seems like it is not terribly broken..... :-(
We used two laundry baskets for clothes under the bed and apparently they are a tight fit, so the edge of the opening has a scrape on it now. :-(

I guess Bailey is not new anymore!!

Gas mileage for Dory dropped a bit, but not as much as I expected, we averaged about 14.5 MPG down from about 17 MPG without the trailer. :-)

Oh, race day weather was terrible! 20 MPH wind and rain made the lake white capped and the roads treacherous... but I am a solid swimmer so I made the 1.2 mile swim just fine, I struggled against the wind and rain on the 56 mile bike ride, but prevailed there too. I made the bike cutoff time and I ran the 13.1 miles very slowly. End result is that I finished my first half ironman triathlon!
Attached Thumbnails
Dory _Bailey.jpg  
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
I made the 1.2 mile swim just fine, I struggled against the wind and rain on the 56 mile bike ride, but prevailed there too. I made the bike cutoff time and I ran the 13.1 miles very slowly. End result is that I finished my first half ironman triathlon!
Just thinking about trying that makes my body ache. Congratulations!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #93

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Congrats on finishing, both the race and getting to camp.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Congrats on finishing and thankfully the trailer isn't brandspanking new anymore. No you can really start using it without worrying about the first scratches.

have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Congrats Kris...now everybody is broken in!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #96

OK I am tired reading that race description lol , congrats on the finish !! Dory is officially yours since you "marked" her lol. The dog going through the screen well that happens on houses and rv's alike perhaps use some embroidery thread to put designs in it at dog level so the dog can discern there is something actually there. Thier vision being 2D makes it hard for them to tell, the idea is not mine I have seen it here and on another Rv board. If that doesn't work a customized expanding gate could be used there are half a dozen ways I can think of for using different styles of gates just depends on your thoughts on ease of use.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #97

Trailer: Wannabe
Great trip for new trailer but best of all you FINISHED! What an accomplishment!!!!!
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #98

Trailer: none
Kris,

Congrats on both your first trip in Bailey and your first completed triathalon!!

Outstanding!!!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
For all of us, each trip is a learning experience and the lessons we learn and share, benefit us all. Good, bad, or indifferent, we can all learn from each others adventures. I feel a kindred spirit with all campers and cheer when we achieve our goals and also share my adventures with the fiberglass community. It warms my heart.

Congrats and keep on campin.

Mark, Dakota & Blizzy
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0138.jpg  

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote