July 4th is my date!!!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
July 4th is my date!!!!

Thanks everyone for the help with this decision so far! It will be a long wait for our 19' baby!! I will need more help as I plan it all out for the build so thanks in advanced! Dory (our FJ Cruiser) will have yet another toy! Woohoo! Still to decide about solar/no solar, 1/2 batteries, range hood or not.....
Kris
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Let the fun begin, are you guys picking up or delivering?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Jim,
I think probably delivery. Based on your experience, what options are "must haves" We think the A/C, extra insulation, LED lights, storage box, bike rack ready, Anderson hitch, screen room are must haves so far, but I am sure there will me more.
Kris
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

I would not get the screen room nor bike rack ready, other items are definite. In addition the digital thermostat, spray foam underneath, removable power cord, extra set of brake lights, bath opening window. Maybe we all can have a mini Escape rally in August, I'm aware of at least 5 within 150 miles.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

I am a triathlete, so carrying bikes is pretty important or I have to put them inside. My partner thinks the screen room is important, but maybe there is an aftermarket one I can find. I used to have a nice one, but left it in Idaho at my brother's place. Digital thermostat is not on options list. I wasn't sure if the spray foam underneath was part of the extra insulation option or not. What about solar and bigger/extra batteries. I don't see us as being huge on dry camping, occasionally maybe, but not for extended periods of time.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
July 4th? WHAT a GREAT DAY! You will truly have gained independence. SWEET!

I'm not getting solar, but having it wired for future if I find I need it. I am getting the dual 6v batteries. I too am not much of a boondocker. If the time comes up that I need to (Quartszite), then I'll be a hardsided tent. I can do just about anything for a few days.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

The screen room entails your awning to be at it's highest point for the sides to hang straight. You can not tilt the awning for rain or shade. Took 2 of us awhile to put up once as a test then it stayed put away. There are many bike rack options to install but with a single point of attachment there will be movement. Solar is a definite, 1 or 2 batteries depends on your 12v needs. Go here for an explanation The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1). The spray foam underneath is one package and extra insulation with thermal windows is another. Together they make the Escape warm and quiet. Ask for the digital, there are some options not listed, if you want it, ask. Escape is a custom builder
Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have my awning tilted for rain/wind, with the screen room. What's the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
awning and screen room.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Here is an after market Patty O' Room that I played around with on our 17B.

Trouble is, its made for an awning that extends 8', not 7' like ours and I never did find an upholsterer willing to alter it for a reasonable price. It has full drop down curtains & is heavy so it stays at home most trips.
That said, I ordered the screen room from Escape for our 21' - it's light enough to carry is case we're ever somewhere the bugs can out fly the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
patty o.JPG  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10

Trailer: No trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
I am a triathlete, so carrying bikes is pretty important or I have to put them inside. My partner thinks the screen room is important, but maybe there is an aftermarket one I can find. I used to have a nice one, but left it in Idaho at my brother's place. Digital thermostat is not on options list. I wasn't sure if the spray foam underneath was part of the extra insulation option or not. What about solar and bigger/extra batteries. I don't see us as being huge on dry camping, occasionally maybe, but not for extended periods of time.
Keep in mind that traveling with bikes on the back of the trailer in inclement weather will result in absolutely filthy bikes. If you have a large inve$tment in your bikes, you may want to rethink carrying them there. Failing that, think about a bike cover and putting on the higher brake / tail lights on the trailer. Also make sure your rack is suited for the task. There is a lot more bounce at the back of the trailer than there is at the back of a vehicle.
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Good point Mike M. I will reconsider my bike carrying options. If the kayaks are not on Dory (the FJ TV) then the bikes can ride up top. If we are going with multi-sport option, then the bikes need to be someplace other than the roof of the FJ. I would hate to not have the right sporting equipment along for the adventure!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Good point Mike M. I will reconsider my bike carrying options. If the kayaks are not on Dory (the FJ TV) then the bikes can ride up top. If we are going with multi-sport option, then the bikes need to be someplace other than the roof of the FJ. I would hate to not have the right sporting equipment along for the adventure!!!
The stock rack on the FJ is one of the most robust racks being used on vehicles today. I have frequently stacked 3 or 4 canoes (or kayaks) on my rack in a 2 wide by 2 high formation. If you were really motivated, you would be able to sort out a rack modification that would allow you to carry 2 kayaks and 2 bikes on yours. However, the roof of the FJ is already quite high, and once you start stacking gear on top it sometimes is quite difficult to access for fastening items on or removing them. If you do not have a step ladder with you, you may have to climb on top of your roof rack to assist in tying down or removing your load. If this is not for you, you would likely be best off keeping your kayaks on the roof of the FJ and mounting a bike rack on the back of your 19'. Then buy a cover for your bikes to protect them from the elements.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #13

FishBioGirl, looking at your Bio picture, you may be able to turn your kayaks on their side on your rack (I think Thule and others have an optional device that allows this), which may give you more room to allow two bikes on top of your rack.

If this guy can do it, you should have no problems.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #14

Dave, i know how high she is!I have the hullavators to help lift the kayaks up there! I have roof bike carriers too and getting the bike secured on top is a pain. A small step ladder is always in the back. That is why I was planning on the bike rack on the trailer. I have until March to figure it all out. I appreciate all of the comments for me to consider especially from other FJ owners!!
Kris
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #15

OMG Dave that is an awesome picture! The Thule hullavators are lift assist racks that must be on the ends of the crossbars. I would need to put the bikes in between the kayaks which would be difficult to do. Honestly I would be better off to put bikes inside FJ during multi-sport trips than try to get them all up top. I am not getting any younger and my ability to dead lift item to the top of the FJ is pretty limited and not going to get better as I age.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
....what options are "must haves" We think the A/C, extra insulation, LED lights, storage box, bike rack ready, Anderson hitch, screen room are must haves so far, but I am sure there will me more.
Kris
My thoughts
- A/C if you will be camping in campgrounds in hot climates. We don't need it.
- Extra insulation for sure
- LED lights for sure
- Storage box if you want to haul lots of extra stuff. We don't use one, but many sure do like it.
- Bike rack ready for sure too. A cover for the bikes is nice if on dirty roads. Even if not used for bikes, it can be used for other types of light carriers.
- Anderson hitch. I went without a WDH for 4 years, and finally got one. For me it was not needed, but it definitely smoothed the ride out a bit.
- Screen room. Not for me. I would much rather have a stand alone type, as it is only needed a couple trips a year, and can be left behind. Plus, you don't have those lines of snaps on the trailer walls either.

But, as Donna always says (and to which I agree), YMMV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I put up the screen room ( picture on earlier post ) because of wasps. Never did zip up the door though. I found that it was much easier to swat the wasps inside the screen room, where they couldn't get away.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I put up the screen room ( picture on earlier post ) because of wasps. Never did zip up the door though. I found that it was much easier to swat the wasps inside the screen room, where they couldn't get away.
A couple times last summer we wished that we would have bought the screen room with our Escape. Our worst camping experiences of this past summer included being driven away from our BBQ supper a couple of nights by storms of wasps (missed having a screen room those nights) and my two kids and I being attacked by wasps and stung about a dozen times while walking in trees near our campsite. I think we will purchase a portable screen room for next summer.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This was an exceptionally bad year for wasps, at least in Alberta and BC. Not sure why, but everyone I know had lots of them around. We even had a bunch in our house, and have never had that before in the 20 years we have been here. Hopefully next year, not so many.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #20

Trailer: No RV for now.
Fishbiogirl, Congratulations on choosing Escape! I highly recommend the extra taillights next to the window if you think you may be carrying bikes. They make you much more visible in the rear! Here are a couple photos of ours. Have fun figuring it all out!
Attached Thumbnails
E19 rear lights2.jpg   w19 rear lights.jpg  
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote