Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe I posted somewhere showing pictures of the power awning use in the rain. It is retracted to about halfway (notice retracted, not extended) and the support arms almost meet in the middle for the needed support for rain shedding and prevent pooling. Using a watch full eye in case of wind a quick push on the remote and the awning continues inward. I know there is a wind button but I trust mine while better. At night we may retract 75% just to keep the step area dry.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is your bullet proof awning, happened on the way home from Osoyoos one year in Montana....notice the security straps ineffectiveness.
Oh boy look what I started. Jim's picture is clearly showing a roller tube that released and started to unwind. Then the wind takes over. This is unrelated to securing awning arms with straps along the side like Glenn shows. The straps linked from Little House Customs won't work either on the Carefree Fiesta because you can't strap all the way around the awning due to the full length attachment to the trailer. I found this device that once installed to the awning arm creates a positive lock of the roller.

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #43

Here you go, as you can see the water does run off the corners, just like the conventional models with one side lowered.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1449.jpg   IMG_1450.jpg   IMG_1453.jpg   IMG_1455.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Oh boy look what I started. Jim's picture is clearly showing a roller tube that released and started to unwind. Then the wind takes over. This is unrelated to securing awning arms with straps along the side like Glenn shows. The straps linked from Little House Customs won't work either on the Carefree Fiesta because you can't strap all the way around the awning due to the full length attachment to the trailer. I found this device that once installed to the awning arm creates a positive lock of the roller.

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Here is what I did, I took some velcro tear off straps and made a tie down to keep the lock in the lock position.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0194 2.jpg   IMG_0193.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here you go, as you can see the water does run off the corners, just like the conventional models with one side lowered.

We do the same. Electric awning works great in the rain, as long as you don’t stick it out too far. When being very conservative I will open the door to 90 degrees then extend the awning about six inches past the door. This keeps the entryway and anything against the trailer dry, unless there’s a driving wind. Beauty is that if wind picks up enough it autoretracts, or worst case, I can do it comfortably dry and toasty in my jammies inside.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Ty Rubicon for the lock info just ordered one so I don’t have that unraveling issues again
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #47
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Great to see that one can use the electric awning at least partially in the light rain to keep the door area dry. Thanks for all the pics. They sure do help. I'm sure this awning topic has been brought up many times before so thank you for sharing again. I see most of the strap pictures on the manual awnings so does anyone see a need to Velcro strap their electric awning closed on each side during travel? If so, I'll add that to my list of things to bring at orientation in April.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #48

No strap on power awning is needed, just switch it off..........
Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I'm sure this awning topic has been brought up many times before so thank you for sharing again.

You have no idea. It is a hotly argued subject. Use the search feature if you want to dive in and learn every possible pro and con on both sides. There are good arguments for both. As long as you’re happy with whichever way you go, that’s all that really matters.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #50
Bea

Thanks Jim! And Kudos to ETI for giving it's owners 2 different choices in awnings! Fun choices. Fun debates. Great company!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 AM   #51

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
About the only time I've used the awning (electric) is when it's sunny out and I'm using it for shade purposes. With our current set up at home, I don't have room to extend the awning fully to let it dry out after moisture has hit it. Right now there's a crappy, rotting shed next to the trailer. However, in a few months there will be a new and larger shed next to the trailer, but it's going to be pushed back quite a bit from where the current shed is (lots of brush cutting has been done around here lately to accommodate the new shed). So, I'll finally have room to extend the awning out after a trip so it can dry out. That awning is a bitch to clean and I don't feel like dealing with mold on it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Sounds like a great list. we have the electric awning and we deeply regret it.
We have had the manual one in the past and wanted the luxury of pushing a button to get it in and out, but now rarely use the electric one at all because of several factors. The support arms and able to tilt it with rain and also making sure no twigs have fallen on it while camping is what we miss. The electronic one goes straight out and one time we rolled up twigs on it unaware which stretched it out. Now i have to stand on a picnic table so I can see the top of the awning before I roll it in, Also a light rain stretched it out and we had to replace the whole awning. So beware when you use yours. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I should have stated that The manual awning we had in the past was on our Casita. We didn't have problems with it unfurling going down the road, but we only had our Casita a year before we decided to upgrade to a larger Escape.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #53
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
About the only time I've used the awning (electric) is when it's sunny out and I'm using it for shade purposes. With our current set up at home, I don't have room to extend the awning fully to let it dry out after moisture has hit it. Right now there's a crappy, rotting shed next to the trailer. However, in a few months there will be a new and larger shed next to the trailer, but it's going to be pushed back quite a bit from where the current shed is (lots of brush cutting has been done around here lately to accommodate the new shed). So, I'll finally have room to extend the awning out after a trip so it can dry out. That awning is a bitch to clean and I don't feel like dealing with mold on it.
Thank you for the great reminder to double check that the awning is dry before storing. After having had tent trailers, we know how important this is! .....And for all of you in the grips of the 'Polar Vortex' now, we hope you all stay warm and dry and be safe!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #54

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Ty Rubicon for the lock info just ordered one so I don’t have that unraveling issues again
No problem. Please post pics of your install. It looks like a neat device. I may be right behind you with my own installation.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Will do
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #56

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
During our ordering adventure, I went back and forth between the manual and power awning. I have had many types of awnings over the years, from popup camper, bag awnings that were painful to use, manual carefree on a couple stick built. But the best one was on our Casita. I was protected in its case, had no poles cluttering up the side of the rv, and we could easily lower a corner for shade or rain. At the end of the day they both will have pluses and minus and Jim the picture you posted with the manual awning unraveling is powerful. The reasons we decided to to go power are: Love the look, ease of use, and no poles to trip on. I do wish that the Fiamia/carefree awning used on the Casita was an option, as I think it the best of both ideas.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #57

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We do the same. Electric awning works great in the rain, as long as you don’t stick it out too far. When being very conservative I will open the door to 90 degrees then extend the awning about six inches past the door. This keeps the entryway and anything against the trailer dry, unless there’s a driving wind. Beauty is that if wind picks up enough it autoretracts, or worst case, I can do it comfortably dry and toasty in my jammies inside.
So can 4-5 of you sit outside all day in the rain, cooking, reading, listening to music without being cramped up against the side of the camper or are there qualifications to that statement? If so, we made the wrong choice. If not, it's just an individual statement, so we wouldn't be able to state, "works great in the rain" and would have to say, "doesn't work well in the rain."

I do understand there are some who don't worry about sitting outside in the rain, but for us, we'll be sitting outside in the rain a couple of times a week, sometimes all week.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I should have stated that The manual awning we had in the past was on our Casita. We didn't have problems with it unfurling going down the road, but we only had our Casita a year before we decided to upgrade to a larger Escape.
We have the Fiamma manual awning on our 2013 Casita and have experienced zero issues
We do have /use the awning straps sold by LHC .
We have the power awning on our 21 , which we have never employed and after reading this forum probably never will . As soon as I can find the remote I will pull the batteries.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the power awning on our 21 , which we have never employed and after reading this forum probably never will . As soon as I can find the remote I will pull the batteries.
Bah! Don't let someone else's fear get under your skin. You're not them and they're not you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #60

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the Fiamma manual awning on our 2013 Casita and have experienced zero issues
We do have /use the awning straps sold by LHC .
Steve,
I hope your kidding! It's just a awning, if something does happen, everything is repairable.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, new member