Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21) - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #121

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Another alternative if you have or can get matching formica.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Another alternative if you have or can get matching formica.
Glad you liked my idea . A lot better then glueing tiles to vinyl . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #123

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the forum and really helped inform build-sheets and other key Escape details.

Here’s the rest of the story for us. Our first entry: Orientation

Our orientation was scheduled for 11:30am. We arrived fairly early (the border crossing only took a few minutes), so we had an early lunch at the Tim Horton's near ETI.

We really liked the orientation. They started in a special room where they have all the various options installed on a wall (oven, AC, inverters, etc.). The demonstrations were well done and they answered all our questions. Viewing the orientation video on youtube ( ) before our trip to ETI was also useful - it allowed us to concentrate on some of the finer details during orientation.

After going to the display room, they took us to a big garage area where we see our new trailer for the first time. Given that it was raining that day, we were glad to be indoors. They make sure your hitch works with the trailer, and that the brake & turn signals work as well. They have one person that give you the tour of the inside. Another person did the tour of the outside.

The last part of the orientation was signing a few papers. We had brought a cashier's check in US currency, and that worked out very well (it was also cheaper than the wire transfer given that ETI's exchange rate was more favorable than the US financial institutions we checked).

After about 3 hours, we were done and headed to the US border. For import/export and tax reasons, an ETI driver takes your trailer from ETI to across the border. At the "Bob's Burger and Brew" in Sumas, Washington we then met the driver and officially took possession of our new 21 and an official customs form. (Hint – do not lose this customs form. You will need it to register the trailer at the DMV.)

Our Escape adventure begins….
Appreciate the time you took to explain what happened. Particularly the deal about bringing along the customs form. The trailer has to be registered with what DMV?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #124

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Bea, love your pics! Everything looks so cozy! I like the quilt— did you sew it? I really like the look of the u-shape dinette but it just won’t work well for us. Question...have you had any experience with getting out of bed at night from the wall side? Does it work?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #125
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Appreciate the time you took to explain what happened. Particularly the deal about bringing along the customs form. The trailer has to be registered with what DMV?
Hi Telescopist,

We needed the customs form (officially the "CBP Form 7501") at the California DMV. This was required by them in order for us to title and license the trailer. With this form and some other paperwork, the DMV gave us our official license plates.

I assume other states will also require the 7501 form, but I really don't know for sure.

The ETI people told us to be careful with this form - they said it would cost $300 to get a new one. An attorney signs the form, so my guess is that the $300 is to get the attorney to once again check all the details before signing.

In California, they take this form from you at the DMV (they gave me a copy), but they will send me the official title (also known as the "Pink Slip") - so I guess that is a fair trade.

Hope this helps

Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #126
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Bea, love your pics! Everything looks so cozy! I like the quilt— did you sew it? I really like the look of the u-shape dinette but it just won’t work well for us. Question...have you had any experience with getting out of bed at night from the wall side? Does it work?
Hi Lisa,

For us, the hubby gets the wall side, and I get the bathroom side.

My husband can easily get out of bed and not disturb me while I'm sleeping. Having a bed arrangement like this was very important, and we love that the 21 because of this.

As for the quilt, it was a very special gift to us.

Thanks!

Bea
Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #127
Bea

Hi h2owmn and Pat, I do really like your idea of adding a matching piece of Formica to the back of the stove area. That is high on my ‘to do’ list! Thanks! I also plan to add some foam cut outs to our window knobs for travel (as David Murphy from Texas suggested) to help keep the windows closed tight during travel. One or 2 had come loose a little, probably from user error. Still trying to figure out how tight to tighten them...but the awning windows worked great in the rain. Thanks for that tip David!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #128

Trailer: Winnebego Micro-Mini 2106 FBS
Very welcoming interior. Makes me want a cup of coffee and a butter croissant! Have fun!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #129

Quote:
Hi Telescopist,

We needed the customs form (officially the "CBP Form 7501") at the California DMV. This was required by them in order for us to title and license the trailer. With this form and some other paperwork, the DMV gave us our official license plates.

I assume other states will also require the 7501 form, but I really don't know for sure.

The ETI people told us to be careful with this form - they said it would cost $300 to get a new one. An attorney signs the form, so my guess is that the $300 is to get the attorney to once again check all the details before signing.

In California, they take this form from you at the DMV (they gave me a copy), but they will send me the official title (also known as the "Pink Slip") - so I guess that is a fair trade. Hope this helps. Bea
It helps! I have all that stuff ET sent me in a Manila envelop and in the glove compartment of the tow vehicle. CPA Harley knows his way around DMV facilities in Pennsylvania. He has been through this drill 3x when it comes to Escape trailers. I'll ask him what the routine is for the Commonwealth of PA.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #130

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
As for the table, we decided not to have ETI install the table. We will install our own Lagun table mount in the near future. However, this little portable table worked out great for our maiden voyage in the 21. Thanks again forum members for the nice tip on the Lagun table mount.

We also ordered our 5.0TA without the table installed and purchased the identical white folding table you have.

We had planned to install the Lagun. After 121 nights in our camper we rarely need/use the folding table inside and will forgo the Lagun. We prefer to have a filler cushion and use a serving tray to hold the condiments and just eat in the lounging area. That folding table is perfect outside underneath the outside shower to prepare dinner and wash dishes.

I do understand that some need a table and if we ever change our minds the Lagun it will be.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #131

Could you provide a link for that folding table? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #132

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Could you provide a link for that folding table? Thanks.
We purchased it at a small RV dealer when we were driving down the Oregon Coast on our maiden voyage last November. Camping World (forgive me) sells this table too. It also adjusts to three heights.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #133

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #134

available at amazon for @$25.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #135

Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #136

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Ours came from Costco. My sewing ng machine is on it--at home!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #137

I also carry this. it's less stable than the folding one, especially when at full height...but it's a nice drink/snack table outside at the shortest--using just the attached legs; a dishwashing station and/or dinner table inside/outside if there's no picnic table at regular table height. my grands use it at a low height for a coloring table/dinner table as it's much easier for them than a regular picnic table--they can scoot right up to the edge.

the current one is kinda garish...mine is a nice gray top.

https://www.coleman.com/pack-away-4-...000020277.html
Old 05-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #138
Bea

A mod for the microwave installation

Sometimes we camp with hookups, sometimes we boondock.

Given that we don’t use the microwave when boondocking, we decided to ask ETI to not bolt in the microwave, and to also install a door on that opening.

The advantage is that you get an extra cabinet for storage when boondocking.

The disadvantage is that when not boondocking, one must take additional measures to secure the microwave when going down the road. We are experimenting with ways to do this. One must also keep the cabinet door open when using the microwave.

So far, we really like it.
Attached Thumbnails
M1.jpg   M2.jpg  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #139

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think if you are going to use the microwave, you have to pull it partially out, similar to where it would be if permanently installed, for better air circulation. Using it that far back will cause both overheating and perhaps a fire hazard.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #140
Bea

Jim - a good clarification. When using the microwave, it is best to bring it to the front of the opening. Thanks.

Tags
build sheet, new member