Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Welcome, Bea, from another nor cal escape owner. I know you’ll love your new trailer.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
The feedback on getting a cheap, non-sinusoidal inverter was right on.

I think this one will work better - the GIANDEL 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Car Power Inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/GIANDEL-300Wa...ywords=GIANDEL

I don't intend to use an inverter for high power items such as microwave or coffee maker. All I need is something modest to charge a laptop or other small electronics that don't have 12volt options. The cost is nice - only $63.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Check these guys- found them (Craig Marston) great to work with and very knowledgeable. A Samlex 120W Pure Sine Wave + cigarette-cord set with plug for $99 sounds pretty good.
https://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-PST-1...pst-120-12.htm
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #24
Bea

Hi Rossue - After looking into the Samlex inverters, I am impressed. I may end up getting the $149 300W version (https://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-PST-3...pst-300-12.htm)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Sounds like a great list. we have the electric awning and we deeply regret it.
We have had the manual one in the past and wanted the luxury of pushing a button to get it in and out, but now rarely use the electric one at all because of several factors. The support arms and able to tilt it with rain and also making sure no twigs have fallen on it while camping is what we miss. The electronic one goes straight out and one time we rolled up twigs on it unaware which stretched it out. Now i have to stand on a picnic table so I can see the top of the awning before I roll it in, Also a light rain stretched it out and we had to replace the whole awning. So beware when you use yours. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
we have the electric awning and we deeply regret it. We have had the manual one in the past and wanted the luxury of pushing a button to get it in and out, but now rarely use the electric one at all because of several factors. The support arms and able to tilt it with rain and also making sure no twigs have fallen on it while camping is what we miss. The electronic one goes straight out and one time we rolled up twigs on it unaware which stretched it out. Now i have to stand on a picnic table so I can see the top of the awning before I roll it in, Also a light rain stretched it out and we had to replace the whole awning. So beware when you use yours. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Not trying to spark an awning debate again, but there is a reason that ETI went back to the manual as standard with the electric now an option. The Carefree Fiesta may not be as convenient, but it is bullet proof. With the forum advice and experience everyone can make their own decision. Good to have choices.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is your bullet proof awning, happened on the way home from Osoyoos one year in Montana....notice the security straps ineffectiveness.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2115.jpg   DSCN2117.jpg   DSCN2118.jpg   DSCN2120.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Had the same thing happen to us when we brought our 21. Home from the factory in Sept. carefree sent us a new cover and a replacement locking end. Changed out easily but a nussaunce. Both types manual or electric have their pros n cons. It’s just a mater of preference. Bottom line we all enjoy going out camping and enjoying the outdoors
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
For 11 years, owning a Scamp (6) and a Casita (5) the one regret we had was not being able to sit underneath an awning when it's raining. Then we went back to stickies with awnings and a Bigfoot with awning and realized any camper from that point forward would have an awning we could sit under in the rain. We purchased the Carefree manual awning and have already sat in the rain making food on our grill and/or just lounging number of times.

Neither awning is bulletproof. For every manual awning that has unfurled going down the road (we had that happen once, our fault though) an electric awning has collapsed from the rain or been ruined by sticks, etc.

That's our reasoning. Those who purchase the electric awning have their reasons that work for them. In the end you try to make the choice that works best for you.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #30

Right from the Carefree manual "Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from
the sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning"
Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF the manual unraveling is a concern, you can buy a solution. OR, I've seen one made out of a foot long piece of PVC that just snapped over the awning
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42556-A.../dp/B00GYM17W8
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21
We got these from Little House Customs for $12.
https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#gen
Search for AWNING SAFETY TRAVEL STRAP.
Apologies for hijacking the thread with an issue that has been discussed and argued, tit-for-tat, throughout this forum. It’s up to the OP, and probably has reasons for choosing.

The electric awning is more expensive because it’s probably more costly to manufacture.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm pretty sure that you can avoid having your manual awning open on its own if you keep the pull strap away from the open/close switch. I think that strap, flailing in the wind while travelling is what is causing the problem.
For extra security, I use a length of Velcro at the top of the awning arms. You can buy Velcro by the roll or in bulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning strap 2.jpg  
Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #34

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Right from the Carefree manual "Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from
the sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning"
Yes, I would expect every awning maker to have this disclaimer. We're not going to have the awning out in hurricanes or tornado's and would think others would know that. We have sat underneath heavy rain dozens of times without problems. Now when you add heavy wind the awning is retracted and we go shopping or to the movies. It's really quite simple.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can avoid having your manual awning open on its own if you keep the pull strap away from the open/close switch. I think that strap, flailing in the wind while travelling is what is causing the problem.
For extra security, I use a length of Velcro at the top of the awning arms. You can buy Velcro by the roll or in bulk.
Glenn, your straps would be more effective if they were secured to the roof awning bracket.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #36

I can fasten the straps at eye level and then push them up to the top. The two parts of the arm are held together with the Velcro so they cannot open.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #37
Bea

Thank you one and all for your valuable insight into the awnings. You are all the bearer of good news in this regard, to help us make the right choice for us so thank you! Great pics, Jim!

Our past trailers had cumbersome manual awnings that required 2 people to set up and take down. Because of that, we normally left it set up the whole time during our stay, anchored it and tilted one side for rain. If strong winds picked up, then of course we would put it away, sometimes at 3AM (ugh). After 2 decades of this, the golden buttons on the Dometic awning remote in ETI's show room shined oh so bright!

However, we realize with our new electric awning we will need to change our awning habits and not keep it open all the time like we used to. It will be more for sun now, good point, Jim. Thank you Quilting Lady, for pointing out that we will need to look on top before closing. Just curious if anyone keeps it open just a foot or two in light rain as we go in and out during the day?

Ease of use, however, isn't the only reason we went with the Dometic awning. We store our trailer in our side yard, and our gate is not very wide. Our new Escape will be the same width as our previous trailers so I know it will fit, however when I look at the pictures of the manual Carefree awning, the fixed arms on the side are a bit concerning to me. Looks like even the newer straight arm style on the Gen 2 body adds a few more inches to the width of the trailer and for me, every inch counts. Our side yard is by far the hardest place to back into - but it's free!

Before we finalized our sheet we asked ETI twice about installing a different awning - The Freedom Carefree wall mount awning: https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...all-mount.html

This awning looks like it would be the best of both that ETI has to offer. It looks similar to the Dometic, encased in a nice hard cover on top but once open the legs pop out and they can be set on the ground or attached to the trailer on one or both sides. This Carefree Freedom awning can also be ordered as a manual or electric. Since ETI orders from Carefree already, we hoped they would be willing to have us send up this one and install this Freedom awning instead of the Fiesta one but they declined twice. We understand.

Perhaps, with the electric Dometic, we might be able to switch to the electric Carefree Freedom some day but for now we'll give the Dometic a shot. When it rains, we'll bring our chairs and join you under your manual awnings. Thanks again for all your comments on both sides!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Glenn, your straps would be more effective if they were secured to the roof awning bracket.

I have to agree with you, Jim.
If the straps are only around the two parts of the arm, they can migrate down the arm while under way, and become relatively ineffective.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i keep my electric awning open in rain but half way and i close it at night or if I'm leaving the trailer. i bought an inexpensive blower at camping world to blow leaves twigs off it if i need to but I haven't used it yet.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I have to agree with you, Jim.
If the straps are only around the two parts of the arm, they can migrate down the arm while under way, and become relatively ineffective.

They could, but haven't. There is a slight bend in the arms close to the top that helps keep them in place.
I've already ensured that the locks are secure and the knobs are tight. Don't really need the Velcro if those steps are done correctly.

Tags
build sheet, new member