Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21) - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have a long list of things that need repair or are not functional in my trailer .
I have no desire to add the awning to that list at this time
Maybe later in the year when I have whittled the list down to a manageable size I will tackle the awning .
Right now I need the heat , lights and AC power working in my trailer far worse than I need the awning
If I remove the batteries from the awning remote I figure it will at least be safe from playful hands .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have posted this before but to put everyone that has ordered a power awning at ease...there is no problem in a full down pour with a fully extended power awning if you use a pole. It takes just I few seconds more to install than it takes to dip a corner.

You can make it out of a painters pole and a piece of pvc that slides over for storage. It makes a great peak for all the water to shed off. You can actually lift the awning up an inches and take all the load off the arms.

If there is extreme wind then deal with it as you would the manual awning.
Attached Thumbnails
643CAE0F-FD1A-4C64-B6D7-7E0F4C7D0C96.jpg   6B61658F-8768-42F1-A979-40DD30B85E86.jpg   D4FEF290-36AF-4525-A4AE-3A22A0B3839A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the Fiamma manual awning on our 2013 Casita and have experienced zero issues
We do have /use the awning straps sold by LHC.
My recollection is that the Fiamma awning sits up on brackets and the fabric is not attached to the trailer. Just like older Scamp awnings (in our case a Dometic Catalina 2500), this allows rain water to run down the side of the trailer which is less than ideal. (This feature is also what allows use of the awning straps as they pass between the awning case and the shell). My experience with this design is that it allows the area to get wet along the trailer which is a nuisance. With the Carefree Fiesta awning (and newer Dometic power awning) that is sealed to the shell along the entire length you can keep things dry along the trailer in moderate rains. After experiencing the alternative we consider this a great feature. Of course if it is a driving rain that means you have wind and should have your awning in anyway.

The above is obviously a non-issue if your only expectation of your awning is for shade.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #64

Like this...
Attached Thumbnails
7A24623D-61E1-48A3-9AAE-20E34BB3695B.jpg  

Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I have posted this before but to put everyone that has ordered a power awning at ease...there is no problem in a full down pour with a fully extended power awning if you use a pole. It takes just I few seconds more to install than it takes to dip a corner.

You can make it out of a painters pole and a piece of pvc that slides over for storage. It makes a great peak for all the water to shed off. You can actually lift the awning up an inches and take all the load off the arms.

If there is extreme wind then deal with it as you would the manual awning.
So with this pole you are able to disable the auto retract somehow?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
My recollection is that the Fiamma awning sits up on brackets and the fabric is not attached to the trailer. Just like older Scamp awnings (in our case a Dometic Catalina 2500), this allows rain water to run down the side of the trailer which is less than ideal. (This feature is also what allows use of the awning straps as they pass between the awning case and the shell). My experience with this design is that it allows the area to get wet along the trailer which is a nuisance. With the Carefree Fiesta awning that is sealed to the shell along the entire length you can keep things dry along the trailer in moderate rains. Of course if it is a driving rain that means you have wind and should have your awning in anyway.

The above is obviously a non-issue if your only expectation of your awning is for shade.
The gap between the awning and the trailer body on our Casita is an asset in my book
On our Scamp there was a foam seal between the awning housing and the trailer body
One of the first things I did was remove the awning seal . All it did was trap leaves and dirt leading to staining / damaging of the gell coat
I usually don’t sit with my back in contact with the trailer wall so I don’t care if the wall gets wet but to each their own.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The gap between the awning and the trailer body on our Casita is an asset in my book
On our Scamp there was a foam seal between the awning housing and the trailer body
One of the first things I did was remove the awning seal . All it did was trap leaves and dirt leading to staining / damaging of the gell coat
I usually don’t sit with my back in contact with the trailer wall so I don’t care if the wall gets wet but to each their own.
Exactly. I know some jam closed cell foam into the area if they'll be camping when it's 'wet.' Otherwise leave it clear.
Attached Thumbnails
AwningGunk.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #68

Quote:
So with this pole you are able to disable the auto retract somehow?
There is a power switch just inside the door. I am not sure if the auto close feature can over ride that but I would not think so.
If we are not there to monitor the wind then there is no need to have the awning out. It is so easy to open and close. It is a different mind set than in my last trailer with a manual awning where you had to do a little dance to open and close it.
Here is a picture of the Escape manual.
Attached Thumbnails
DBB1EEBC-EB26-4A35-BA73-0626C976499D.jpg  

Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Exactly. I know some jam closed cell foam into the area if they'll be camping when it's 'wet.' Otherwise leave it clear.
Thank you !! ; Your photo shows exactly what I referenced
On our Scamp the previous owner glued a piece of foam between the awning and the trailer body . We developed a rivet leak under the foam . When we tried to remove the foam to get to the rivet , the gel coat was damaged . When we got our Casita I was thrilled to see the gap between the awning and the roof .
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Right from the Carefree manual "Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from
the sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning"
That is just cover your a$$ language. There is no denying the Carefree Fiesta is a strong awning. It does just fine in heavy rain and moderate wind.

The owners manual continues to say on page 4, "If the awning is extended during rain, position one arm at minimum pitch and the other arm at maximum pitch. This will provide slope to allow the water to run off and prevent pooling."

So it is clearly designed to be used in the rain with proper positioning. They just don't want campers leaving it out unattended if high winds come along.
Attached Thumbnails
heavy rain.jpg  
Old 01-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #71

Quote:
..but that is not an Escape or the Carefree Fiesta awning. Does anyone have the issue of that much gunk building up on their trailer? The curvature of the trailer roof and the awning design and mounting configuration matter.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
..but that is not an Escape or the Carefree Fiesta awning. Does anyone have the issue of that much gunk building up on their trailer? The curvature of the trailer roof and the awning design and mounting configuration matter.
You're correct. It's not an Escape at all. I have the manual awning on Ten Forward. In the Spring, first wash and wax after winter storage... behind the awing tube looks very much like the photo I posted. It's like a gutter there and captures every leaf, twig and pine needle possible. THEN, it all turns a lovely shade of gunky black as it rots...'er turns into mulch. I think THAT might be the best reason to add something like this, added benefit would be to protect from top UV damage too:
Attached Thumbnails
AwningProtector.JPG  
Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #73

Wow...that cover looks great.
That is what I like about a forum is all the great stuff that people find and post.
My last manual awning was only 7 years old but the first foot of it attached to the trailer was starting to deteriorate from being in the weather. In a few years time I thing a good wind when deployed would rip it right off.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How would that work on an Escape? Escape roof curves. The one illustrated is 90 degrees. Seems to me, on an Escape, all that would do is shift the location of the gutter where leaves collect.

My trailer spends the winter under a cedar tree. From time to time, I have to brush leaves off the entire top.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning gutter.jpg   Awning gutter 2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Wow...that cover looks great.
That is what I like about a forum is all the great stuff that people find and post.
My last manual awning was only 7 years old but the first foot of it attached to the trailer was starting to deteriorate from being in the weather. In a few years time I thing a good wind when deployed would rip it right off.
The item Donna shows may be another one of those elusive Australian products:
https://hinterlandcaravans.com.au/pa...g-protector14/

Carefree actually has a couple of options. Not sure what would work best though.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/r...rotection.html
Old 01-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I think THAT might be the best reason to add something like this, added benefit would be to protect from top UV damage too:

How does the awning roller get out from under that cover?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #77
Site Team

I've seen too many ruined awnings over the years. Like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	~Capture.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	36780

I've started capturing 'ideas' to fix the problem on Ten Forward. I think I could come up with a DIY solution too that would work. A whole lot cheaper, the one I posted above is $555 OH MY.

So maybe thin walled PVC, a long flat piece of PVC and some stainless or brass piano hinges... humm.

I know I can use PVC or even gutter material to protect the awning, but want to protect the stitched attachment. THAT is where the 'gunk' sits and rots. I'm afraid the stitching is going to rot too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning-PVC.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	36778
Name:  Awning-GutterMaterial.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  2.7 KB
Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How does the awning roller get out from under that cover?
It's hinged.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #79
Site Team

Your awning is attached to the top of the trailer Glenn, it's attached on the side in Ten Forward. On 5.0s it goes past the door and attaches on the loft. THAT couldn't happen if it was on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture.jpg  
Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

We have the power awning on our 21 , which we have never employed and after reading this forum probably never will . As soon as I can find the remote I will pull the batteries.

Oh my. We love our automatic awning and use it every chance we can.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, new member