Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Just ordered our first Escape Trailer (the 21)

New Escape 21 ordered!

After enjoying several tent trailers over the years, it is now time for us to upgrade to a hard-sided trailer. Our thanks to everyone on this forum for all the useful information!

We have ordered an Escape 21 and will pick it up in April.
Highlights from our build sheet:
• Oven
• Microwave
• 2-way Hot Water Tank
• Exterior Shower
• Several extra 12v/USB and AC outlets
• Dual 6V Batteries
• 170W Solar Panel
• Air Conditioning
• Power Awning & LED Light Strip
• Stereo, Jack TV & TV antenna
• Additional Front Window
• Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (w/opening rear window)
• Opening Bathroom Window
• Aluminum Rims
• High Lift Axle
• Additional Exterior Hatches (rear driver side & rear passenger side)
• 2 - 12V Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation
• Storage Box (Front of Trailer)
• Custom Fabric & U-Shaped Dinette
• Wall Mount Extendable TV Arm
• Surge Protector
ETI also agreed to install this double sink we provided ( https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sinks/Pa...77-000127.html ). ETI will even save the formica cutouts for us.

Here are some additional items that we have bought (or will soon buy) for the trailer. We will install ourselves.

• 22-inch SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV with HDMI Input and AC/DC Compatible for RVs (https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-10...flat+tv+for+rv)

• The Andersen Levelling system (https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...ersen+levelers)

• Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch (https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...ribution+hitch)

• We also got a simple 300W inverter for $29 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDXS0U..._t1_B00SRP55IW) We did not think we needed the big inverter that ETI offers. All we needed is to occasionally use the 300W version.

Here’s an item we will likely buy, but we are still investigating the details:

• weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N705CF3/ref=emc_b_5_t )

Our thought is that we will use the trailer’s hitch connection to mount a flag pole holder. We would then use the holder to mount a telescoping antenna pole. We would then place the Cell Phone Booster’s antenna at the top of the pole. We would then feed the coax cable for the antenna in through the hole the trailer’s main power cord uses (hence we did not opt for Escape’s removable power cord).

We recently visited ETI in Chilliwack to put the finishing touches on our build sheet. This was a very valuable visit. The ETI people were excellent to work with. Being on-site really helps one figure out the details, make measurements, ask questions, etc. For this trip, we flew to Seattle on a Thursday night and drove North to Bellingham. We then spent most of Friday at ETI. We really liked the hotel in Bellingham (TownePlace Suites Bellingham - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...es-bellingham/ ). We will definitely use this hotel in April for a place to stay the night before we pick up our trailer. It has covered parking with gate control for security, the rooms have a full size fridge/freezer, and being a Marriott property, the service and rooms were very good.

Our thanks to all the contributors on this forum!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
New Escape 21 ordered!

• Stereo, Jack TV & TV antenna

Here are some additional items that we have bought (or will soon buy) for the trailer. We will install ourselves.

• 22-inch SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV with HDMI Input and AC/DC Compatible for RVs (https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-10...flat+tv+for+rv)
We have this TV set up including the Supersonic TV. This basically runs on 12V. If you run it on 120V, Supersonic provides a transformer which plugs into a regular 120V outlet. However, if you want to run it on 12V you will need to find a 12V outlet to plug it into, but no transformer is required, the wire from the 12V outlet goes directly to the TV. You may be better served by just getting ETI to provide you a 12V outlet only for the TV. When your trailer is plugged into 120V, you can still run the TV from the 12V outlet as the trailer takes care of transforming 120V to 12V. However, when you are boon docking and want to turn on TV you are also fine too and the 12V outlet is close by, see attached. The 120V outlet is somewhat superfluous. It just means a few less wires to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5943.jpg  
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
CONGRATULATIONS and I know you will be very happy with your Escape !
The double sink is interesting and does not surprise me that Escape would agree to install it. My only concern would be the counter space you lose because of it. We only go on 3-4 day trips now but plan to long time it more in the future, the one thing that seems to disappear fast is counter space so not sure I would want to give it up.
Also would agree with you about the members on this website, would suggest you go to a rally when you can.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Every tv I have used in 4 Escapes have been 12v as it seem superfluous to to get a 120v model as most convert the 120v to 12v eventually.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
Good and well thought out list! I’ve wondered about the Anderson WDH myself. ETI doesn’t want to install a Fastway E2 on my Jeep GC, because of the auto-rear leveling shocks.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Bea

A quick clarification. The 22-inch SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV can run directly from a 12v connection or 120v. Thus we had ETI install an extra 12v outlet right by the TV antenna connection.

The only annoyance was that the TV did not come with the 12v cord. Thus I had to order one from amazon - but it was only $8.

The TV consumes about 24watts. Thus some care may be needed when boondocking.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Wheee !!! Big fun. We just picked our 21' up this past June, and love the thing.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Do not like your pocket inverter. It is a square wave inverter instead of a sine wave inverter. Many years ago we were charging a portable drill motor battery, the square wave inverter killed it, actually two rechargeable batteries as we could not believe an inverter would damage a battery and tried it again. The square wave inverter can power a laptop but a direct plug into 12V DC works as well. We also had a fairly cheap, really cheap, square wave inverter that sent a spike of power to our laptop, killed the laptop also. We then installed a 300W pure sine wave inverter (about 10x the price) and never ruined any device since then. Maybe pocket inverters have gotten better in the past 25 years, but we sure hate destroying devices.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Bea

Thank you Myrl and Gary- the story about your noise spike killing the laptop is sobering. I will need to look into this a bit more. Thanks again
Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Hi Bea, what a difference in price 25 years make. Our 300W pure sine wave inverter was $300. Today one is available for as little as $60 on Amazon. Go live it up and buy a pure sine wave inverter for only twice the price of the one you showed. Forgo a bottle of wine this week and you will pay for it.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats Bea! That's one loaded 21, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Yes Bea, You got the Platinum Edition!

Debbie and I also stayed at that same Bellingham Marriott on our trip to Chilliwack in April of 2016. We totally agree with your review. We give it 5 ⭐️!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The title says "first Escape trailer", perhaps there are more in the future?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #14
Bea

Hi Rrgramps - regarding your post about the Andersen WDH: We will be towing our trailer with a 2017 Ford Expedition. We noted that the manual for the Andersen hitch said that we would need to turn off the Expedition's automated anti-sway capability. Evidently, the springy cushions of the Andersen hitch and the sway sensors of the Expedition don't play well together. We will still probably go with the Andersen hitch.

Best of luck with your Jeep GC!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #15
Bea

Hi Steve - Thanks for the post. We definitely look forward to enjoying our upcoming journeys. We also want to go to a rally soon - but we already had plans that conflict with the rally in May.

Regarding the double sink: We gave considerable thought to the loss of kitchen counter space with our double basin sink, so we decided to keep the shelf above the drawer stack (instead of making it into a larger cabinet) and ordered the additional counter extension by the sink. We also ordered an over the sink bamboo cutting board with adjustable rubber nobs underneath that secures it to the sink to prevent the board from slippage while chopping things - thus mitigating any loss of counter space.
Cutting board link: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-43437-B...k+Cover+Bamboo
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Bea
We have the double sink too. Between the left side counter extension and the Formica cutouts, it works well for us. Actually we only take along one of the cutouts, removing it when it's dish washing time.

FWIW, I did have minor problems with the sink stoppers, they were push in and didn't work very well, replaced them with screw in ones. Of course this was 5 years ago so things may well have changed.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
The double sink is interesting and does not surprise me that Escape would agree to install it. My only concern would be the counter space you lose because of it.

Well, they are getting the formica cut outs so they could make their own sink covers. And ETI is now installing the flat stovetops so that's more "counter" space there. When we got our trailer we didn't get the formica cut out from our custom installed sink and Dirk eventually built a cover for the stove top, which has given me additional space. I haven't really seen the need to cover the sink since there's the flip up shelf at the end of the counter.

When washing dishes I have one of those foldable drying pads (with cats on it, of course!) that I set the dishes on after washing them. I then put them back in the sink for rinsing and back on the pad before I dry them. It works.

Congrats OP on your new trailer! You'll love it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #18
Bea

Hi Bob - Glad to hear the double sink is working out well for you. Hope our sink stoppers will work, fingers crossed. BTW when we ordered the sink from etrailer, they wanted an arm and a leg to ship it to ETI. So we had it shipped to our home in California (for free) and then we packed it into our suitcase and brought it up to ETI ourselves. Southwest does not charge for checked baggage so, basically, no shipping costs. Did the same with our custom fabric. Ordered it through our local JoAnns Fabric store and brought it up to ETI with us on the plane as our 2nd checked bag. Used the box it came in, tied string all around it, made a handle and taped it up good. When we arrived in Seattle we noticed the airlines opened the box on the end to inspect it and then taped it back up. Basically, saved us a ton on shipping. Again, a huge thank you to everyone's kind remarks, warm welcome and all the great advice on this forum. Feel so grateful to be a part of such a great community. New bucket list item: Attend an Escape Rally soon!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If ordering from etrailer.com, do it by phone and ask if the product can be shipped from their warehouse in Ontario. I've ordered a couple items that way and they were shipped via Canada Post with no borders to cross.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Square wave inverter versus sine wave inverter;
I had a similar problem in that my shaver would not charge with the square wave and the tv made a squealing noise.
The sine wave or 'pure wave' as they called it fixed both.
It is 300w, it was the minimum size at the time.

Tags
build sheet, new member