Just placed a deposit, here is an introduction. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I would go with frameless all around, including the bathroom and kitchen.

My wife especially is a fanatic about airflow and a feeling of being 'almost outside' while camping. Her concern with the frameless windows is in how little they swing out. Her feeling is that the framed windows would seemingly have larger openings. Any thoughts about that from your experience?

Quote:
The egress window is indeed located on the driver's side. It opens much wider than any of the other windows and allows for plenty of air flow.
Is there a screen too?

Quote:
As for the spray-on insulation on the bottom, I have that option and so far do not regret it. I camped in late September where it got well below freezing at night, and I was darn glad to have it. I spent upwards of 40 nights in my trailer last summer and believe it helps maintain the temperature you want, whether cool or warm. I also think it protects the underside from rocks and whatnot while underway. It is uglier than heck, however, and if I ever have a problem with something I can't access because of the foam, I might not be happy about it. But so far I am.
I want the insulation, because I love to camp deep into fall. I know that once the night temperatures got below ~35F in my previous trailer, the floors were super cold.

But would insulated floors feel a lot warmer? Or is it all just going to be cold anyway if you have to crawl out of bed?

And then, well......everyone likes the insulation right up to when they need to run a water line, or fix a leak, or whatever. I'm planning this trailer for the long haul, so it makes me leery.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing with the frameless and with the Maxxfan on exhaust, you will feel the air coming into the trailer from the 3" opening under the 7-9 windows and fall asleep and not worry about rain in the middle of the night. In fact you will probably wake up cold and turn the fan off......
Old 10-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I have a frameless rear window and framed sliders everywhere else (with the exception of the emergency escape) and here is my take. Frameless sheds rain - framed doesn't. Frameless windows on the passenger side with manual awning (which I have) is begging for trouble - framed has no interference. Ventilation - frameless opens 100% of its area, but the glass blocks breezes, any breeze has to sneak around the bottom and sides. Framed windows open <50% of their area, but any breeze is unimpeded. Frameless windows are 100% screened, while the framed are screened <50% - unobstructed view through the fixed glass. I am very happy with my mixed arrangement.

I have no spray foam on the bottom. I have fixed a lot of things in my life, and easy access is invaluable. I intend to add rigid foam panels to the bottom, as many other owners have done.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We have a 2019 E19. Absolutely love it. We have the frameless windows and are very happy with them. We too were worried about air flow, but so far so good and we have been in some pretty warm temperatures. We didn't go for the A/C as we mostly boondocks.
We did go with 4x100A Lithium batteries and have been very satisfied with their performance. However if you do a lot of colder weather camping you might want to have your lithium batteries mounted inside the trailer. We have ours in the storage box.

As for hitch, we went with the Andersen. Really easy to set up and zero noise, which was one of the main reasons we went with it. The anti sway has been amazing. Just did a recent trip through the Coquihalla in B.C. in a very major rain and wind storm. Not a hint of sway!

Good luck with your decisions, this really is the fun part, aside from using the trailer of course.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I looked at a 19. I'm 6'3", wife is 5'4" and German Shepherd is 76 pounds. I figured one of us was going to have to stay home! No one has mentioned the bed configuration. On the 19 the bed is cross-wise to the trailer, meaning whoever sleeps on the side against the wall will have to climb over the other person to get in and out of bed. Maybe a problem or not. I looked at the 21C. Problem solved. Entry and exit from the bed is from the end, and all three of us can fit!
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Let us know when you've done the shuffle.
I fail to see how working your way down to the bottom of the bed so you can get out is less disturbing to the person trying to sleep.

Besides, I enjoy the crawl over. Better than nothing.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I looked at a 19. I'm 6'3", wife is 5'4" and German Shepherd is 76 pounds. I figured one of us was going to have to stay home! No one has mentioned the bed configuration. On the 19 the bed is cross-wise to the trailer, meaning whoever sleeps on the side against the wall will have to climb over the other person to get in and out of bed. Maybe a problem or not. I looked at the 21C. Problem solved. Entry and exit from the bed is from the end, and all three of us can fit!

Sounds familiar. We have a Whippet and a Greyhound. My first thought with ETI was the 17' model with the bathroom. But the 52" bed was not going to work with so much dog.

The 19' has a true 60" queen. That should work for us (same size we sleep on at home. It's also the same arrangement we had in the last RV (me crawling over top to get out) which will be OK since I'm still blessed with an all-night bladder. I leave the easy-out location to my wife because it's a certainty she will be up at least once during the night.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We did go with 4x100A Lithium batteries and have been very satisfied with their performance. However if you do a lot of colder weather camping you might want to have your lithium batteries mounted inside the trailer. We have ours in the storage box.

That's a lot of energy on board. How much of the storage box to the Li-Ion batteries take up?

If you put them under the dinette on the driver's side, about how many do you think ETI could fit there?

Quote:
As for hitch, we went with the Andersen. Really easy to set up and zero noise, which was one of the main reasons we went with it. The anti sway has been amazing. Just did a recent trip through the Coquihalla in B.C. in a very major rain and wind storm. Not a hint of sway!

I've used or known people with most of the common WDH systems. They all have different drabacks, be it heavy items to move around, grease everywhere, wonky hitch-up processes, noise, you name it. My last set (Equil-i-zer) worked fine in terms of both weight distribution and sway, but I hated lugging and installing the 35 lb hitch part, the heavy bars, and the grease.

I also grew to dislike the up, down, up, bars on, down process of hitching, especially if the car was nose up in the site, requiring me to try and lift the entire back end of a heavy car with my poor little tongue jack.

The Anderson is on my list of possibles, but it is the one system I have no direct experience with.

I have also messed around with Hensley hitches on other people's equipment and I like both that the gear stays on the tongue and the process of hitching (if you understand it, it's simple). But I don't like it enough to pay what they retail. Maybe if a used Cub fell in my lap, but in the meanwhile I will check out the Anderson.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I've used or known people with most of the common WDH systems. They all have different drabacks, be it heavy items to move around, grease everywhere, wonky hitch-up processes, noise, you name it. My last set (Equil-i-zer) worked fine in terms of both weight distribution and sway, but I hated lugging and installing the 35 lb hitch part, the heavy bars, and the grease.

I also grew to dislike the up, down, up, bars on, down process of hitching, especially if the car was nose up in the site, requiring me to try and lift the entire back end of a heavy car with my poor little tongue jack.

The Anderson is on my list of possibles, but it is the one system I have no direct experience with.

I have also messed around with Hensley hitches on other people's equipment and I like both that the gear stays on the tongue and the process of hitching (if you understand it, it's simple). But I don't like it enough to pay what they retail. Maybe if a used Cub fell in my lap, but in the meanwhile I will check out the Anderson.
I wonder if there's a good solution for sway only? I'm kind of like you as far as my tow vehicle, I don't really need the weight help, I just want a bit more safety and stability...
Old 10-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I wonder if there's a good solution for sway only? I'm kind of like you as far as my tow vehicle, I don't really need the weight help, I just want a bit more safety and stability...
Proper loading and tongue weight.......
Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Proper loading and tongue weight.......

This is true, but I do find that even on a properly loaded trailer, when the tongue weights are kind of high that the WDH makes for a better ride. That matters to me on a long trip.

I've had less issues with sway. I've never driven my Equil-i-zer in stong crosswinds, but I did with a Hensley once (not mine) and I would judge it was helpful.

If the winds are high enough though, even a fifth wheel can transmit load. I've driven a 53' van trailer at 40 tons in strong crosswinds and you have to focus on centering in the lane. That will wear you out.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
There are varying opinions on this but we run direct on the ball with no WDH and a single friction sway bar. No problems with sway when the trailer is properly loaded. Full disclosure: Had an issue with sway only one time and it was my fault...light on the tongue, speed a little high, hit a rough spot in the road and a crosswind. Tail started to wag the dog but by engaging just the trailer brakes via the brake controller it came right back under control. I don't care how confident you are in your towing set up you need to practice braking just the trailer with the brake controller. It can prove to be invaluable if you ever have an issue.
https://www.reeseprod.com/products/w...VHJ42GwTFt2ZHj
Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
There are varying opinions on this but we run direct on the ball with no WDH and a single friction sway bar. No problems with sway when the trailer is properly loaded. Full disclosure: Had an issue with sway only one time and it was my fault...light on the tongue, speed a little high, hit a rough spot in the road and a crosswind. Tail started to wag the dog but by engaging just the trailer brakes via the brake controller it came right back under control. I don't care how confident you are in your towing set up you need to practice braking just the trailer with the brake controller. It can prove to be invaluable if you ever have an issue.
https://www.reeseprod.com/products/w...VHJ42GwTFt2ZHj
I have seen those, but only used in conjunction with a WDH...I wondered if they were effective when used alone. Sounds like it works for you...what is your tow vehicle?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #34

Need a trolley handle for the trailer brakes like you find in a class 8. :-)

But then in a semi you are told to never use the trolley brake in a moving vehicle. It's for shifting the wheel location on the trailer at the dock.

Which is to say, I do agree with you. Electric brake controller manual override can get a trailer under control if you can find it fast enough in the event of sudden sway. But if I have a choice, I'd rather a setup that is highly resistant to sway, be that loading, hitch, or a combination. I think most people, most of the time, can probably pull an Escape on just a ball. That's the winner in terms of cost, weight, and hitchup hassle.

But I prefer some kind of sway control and I should have some form of weight distribution given the tongue weights.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I have seen those, but only used in conjunction with a WDH...I wondered if they were effective when used alone. Sounds like it works for you...what is your tow vehicle?
2005 or 2007 Toyota 4Runner V6 depending on if my father or I are towing the trailer. Same vehicle for all intents and purposes. 5000/500 tow rating. Tow rating is a bit higher if we added an aftermarket hitch that allowed weight distribution.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #36

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
WDH

Quote:
I don't have my Escape yet either (wow 2022 that's a long wait!), so I'll let others speak to exactly what hookup they'd recommend specific to your 19, but I'd just like to chime in on the "noise level" complaint for WDH's in general: if you keep them nicely lubed, you will not get that noise (assuming they are also adjusted properly). I put lithium grease on the contact points for the bars (the little shelves), and on the hitch where the thingies that hold the bars move back and forth across the metal. Problem solved!
I have the blue ox and although the hitch is heavy it is a superb wdh. We had many of the others in years past. Also no greasy bars.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
That's a lot of energy on board. How much of the storage box to the Li-Ion batteries take up?

If you put them under the dinette on the driver's side, about how many do you think ETI could fit there?

We went with 4x100A Lithium batteries because we also went with a Novakool 12V compressor fridge vs the absorption fridge. It uses about 5.4A when running and runs roughly 1/3 of the time depending on ambient temperature. We went with the Battle Born batteries, in the same size as a standard 6V Golf Cart battery. The 4 of them take up most of the storage box, but we still have room to put hoses and some spare tools etc.

You might get one battery in on the drivers side storage area around the dinnette, but with all the other bits that are already installed on that side, you wouldn't get much more than that. You would have to use the passenger side, where there is lots of room.
Not sure what temperatures you plan on camping in, but if it is not well below freezing, keeping them in the storage box may not be a problem.

As for the Andersen hitch, another feature we liked was the relatively light weight. I think all together it weighs 40 or 50 lbs, but when you hook it up to the truck, it is broken down into components, so the most you are lifting might be 20 lbs or so. Much more manageable, at least for me.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #38

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
IF you're planning to camp without hookups, I'd recommend the ZAMP port for a portable solar panel.

Our portable 100w panel has saved us a lot more than I expected it to. Very glad I added that option.

Welcome to the crew.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Here is my first set of thoughts. This will probably change and one of the first things I need to do is track down one of the Detroit area ambassadors and take a look inside a 19.

The options I'm thinking about:

Foot Flush Toilet – maybe, still debating.
Toilet Shut Off Valve
Two Li-Ion batteries (200 Ah)
2x 190W solar panel with charge controller
Removable power cord
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (Dometic 11,000 BTU) – We occasionally use the RV when visiting relatives and it’s often hot on those driveway stays.
Keyless door lock
Framed windows – except a frameless rear window. We tend to want maximum opening everywhere, so this is why we thought to change the one rear to frameless.
Window in Bathroom (frameless)
Window in Kitchen (framed)
Cabinet door at end of bench
Storage box
Springfield Marine pedestal for dinette table slider installed
Amber lens exterior lights
Two wardrobe shelves
Counter top extension by galley
Stainless steel backsplash
Spray foam insulation under floor
Aluminum alloy rims
Power tongue jack
Additional exterior access hatch. I have a second, outdoor stove and like to cook outside, so I plan to stock some utensils in this hatch to I can cook without going in and out like crazy.
Raised dinette

The non-options
No exterior shower
No TV/Cable ready. We just don’t watch TV when camping.
No stereo
No exterior propane quick connect. I’ve never found a travel grill with even heat, so I use charcoal.
No changes to the standard fridge
Standard manual awning. We use our awning to keep rain off stuff. I need an awning that can shed rain and be left deployed with safety ties.
Standard propane water heater – Don’t have power a lot of the time anyway.

Things to think about:
I saw someone adding counter top extensions on the bedroom walls. It would be nice to have a place to put stuff within reach while sleeping.
Where to place battery controller? I guess the standard location is under the dinette? This doesn’t seem optimal. Need to research.

I'm also just starting to think about if I will tow this on a straight ball or need a better system. I used an Equal-i-zer on the past RV and was not a huge fan of the hookup process, and the noise level. I work for Daimler and so I use new M-B GLE's for tow vehicles, they are rated to tow 7,200 pounds.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:

I ditto your dislikes about the Equilizer WDH, but I also REALLY like the way it distributes the hitch weight and handles sway. I would be hard pressed into switching without being sure of the performance of WDH I switched to. Safety and reduced driver stress is #1 for me. It seems like the only way to be sure about performance is testing the WDHs on same trailer and TV. There's probably very few direct comparisons. That said, is anyone aware of independent reviews of one vs. another?
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Joe View Post
That said, is anyone aware of independent reviews of one vs. another?

I have not seen too many comparison reviews. Most of the times you find a review, they are strictly looking at the most conventional WHD - chained bars to snap up brackets and no/friction sway control. Then they compare brands X, Y and Z where I see them as all nearly the same.

In a lot of ways, that reflects what I've seen with respect to the RV world at large. A sea of conventional stick-built trailers running on conventional chained up bars.

I know I rarely saw other people running the Equil-i-zer when I had one, just the occasional sighting. You mostly see Hensley's on Airstreams (I guess people who buy $140,000 trailers buy $2000 WD hitches), and I'm not sure I've seen an Anderson in the wild.

Forums offer the best take on the less common WHD in that you get first hand experience. But that comes with a lot of personal differences (some people think nothing of lifting 35 pound hitches for example) and there are a lot of folks with strong opinions on systems they've never used.